X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
    ​​​​​

S85 gonna S85.
    That was quick. Hopefully it isnt too bad.

Comment

How'd I miss this! No idea! Love S85! Grats Ian!

Comment

Dyno from ~10 years ago, before I did cams, airbox, or oversized section 2 on the M3.

My M3 (red), a friends modified e39 M5 (blue), and this e60 M5 (black).

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_31179.jpg Views:	3 Size:	167.0 KB ID:	147856
        Geez … guess they weren’t kidding about the lack of low-down from the S85. Goes to show the S54 really is quite a torquey beast, and such a pretty curve up to redline.

Sorry to hear about the previous owner, the car is in good hands. Congrats on the V10
        Last edited by BTB; 09-03-2022, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Is the SMG to manual conversation on the e60 m5 as straight forward as the e46 m3? I remember reading that the conversion was a bit for complicated.

Comment

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post
            Is the SMG to manual conversation on the e60 m5 as straight forward as the e46 m3? I remember reading that the conversion was a bit for complicated.
            You need an e9x m3 trans (can’t reuse the SMG trans) and a different length drive shaft. Other than that, and newer BMWs generally being more annoying to work on, pretty similar.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

You need an e9x m3 trans (can’t reuse the SMG trans) and a different length drive shaft. Other than that, and newer BMWs generally being more annoying to work on, pretty similar.
              I figured bolting the hardware would be the easier part of the job. What about the other electronics portion, coding the ecu and other modules?

Also Pmed you.

Comment

I figured bolting the hardware would be the easier part of the job. What about the other electronics portion, coding the ecu and other modules?

Also Pmed you.
                For coding, adding the 6mt to the VO and coding the entire car should take care of it. Wiring isn't that complex.. I can dig up the thread on M5B with the details if you need it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

For coding, adding the 6mt to the VO and coding the entire car should take care of it. Wiring isn't that complex.. I can dig up the thread on M5B with the details if you need it.
                  Oh ok. I have been thinking of possibly getting an m6 convertible to replace my e46 m3 convertible, just for that v10 sound. While my e46 m3 vert is an SMG, I am less confident in the SMG system found in the e60/e63. Finding e63 m6 in a manual is possible but is becoming harder to find and seems like prices for e60/e63 manuals have been increasing. I remember reading that e60/e63 manual swaps were not as common as the e46 due to the electronics and coding needed. It's good to know that these swaps are in fact possible and the more that they are done, less complex.

Comment

Oh ok. I have been thinking of possibly getting an m6 convertible to replace my e46 m3 convertible, just for that v10 sound. While my e46 m3 vert is an SMG, I am less confident in the SMG system found in the e60/e63. Finding e63 m6 in a manual is possible but is becoming harder to find and seems like prices for e60/e63 manuals have been increasing. I remember reading that e60/e63 manual swaps were not as common as the e46 due to the electronics and coding needed. It's good to know that these swaps are in fact possible and the more that they are done, less complex.
                    SMG3 is better than SMG2 in pretty much every way, except ease to swap.
                    2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Been looking seriously at getting one of these (in e61 touring\wagon form) as I have a spare s85 and e92 manual trans laying aroung already. How much longer does the driveshaft need to be for the swap (edit: just thought of checking realoem looks like 31mm longer)? Was thinking it might be possible to use the front half off another car maybe?

How do you like the car in general so far? I'm torn between this and B7 RS4 avant but never driven either of them...
                      Last edited by lapoune; 03-10-2023, 11:24 AM.

Comment

sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. cool you got the car! See you at the track soon?

Comment

Originally posted by lapoune View Post
                          Been looking seriously at getting one of these (in e61 touring\wagon form) as I have a spare s85 and e92 manual trans laying aroung already. How much longer does the driveshaft need to be for the swap (edit: just thought of checking realoem looks like 31mm longer)? Was thinking it might be possible to use the front half off another car maybe?

How do you like the car in general so far? I'm torn between this and B7 RS4 avant but never driven either of them...
                          I don't actually remember the length change... 31mm sounds familiar. To my knowledge, there's no combinations that make the correct length-- everyone on M5board changes the length.

The e60 M5 is the most M3 like of all the M5s. IMO it is a much more serious sporting platform than the B7 RS4, which always felt a bit... generic passenger car with a fancy engine to me. The e60 M5 feels much more comprehensively engineering to be a sporty thing.

That said, I'm not sure that's entirely appropriate to a 4000 lb, mid sized sedan-- as in, I think the e39 is a better M5, even though it's way, WAY less sporty than the e60. But, easier, more comfortable, more interior space, nicer interior, more effortless, and much better range in the e39 M5.

Which is better is really a matter of taste.If you want a sports car that's a mid sized sedan, the e60 is probably the most serious contender there will ever be. Very good body control, super exotic engine and sounds, no "easy" transmissions, etc.

... I've never driven the Avant, but I found the B7 RS4 sedan surprisingly boring.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by P3trolPete View Post
                            sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. cool you got the car! See you at the track soon?
                            Not in this car. I'm not nearly rich enough to track it

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I don't actually remember the length change... 31mm sounds familiar. To my knowledge, there's no combinations that make the correct length-- everyone on M5board changes the length.

The e60 M5 is the most M3 like of all the M5s. IMO it is a much more serious sporting platform than the B7 RS4, which always felt a bit... generic passenger car with a fancy engine to me. The e60 M5 feels much more comprehensively engineering to be a sporty thing.

That said, I'm not sure that's entirely appropriate to a 4000 lb, mid sized sedan-- as in, I think the e39 is a better M5, even though it's way, WAY less sporty than the e60. But, easier, more comfortable, more interior space, nicer interior, more effortless, and much better range in the e39 M5.

Which is better is really a matter of taste.If you want a sports car that's a mid sized sedan, the e60 is probably the most serious contender there will ever be. Very good body control, super exotic engine and sounds, no "easy" transmissions, etc.

... I've never driven the Avant, but I found the B7 RS4 sedan surprisingly boring.
                              Fun to read about your opinion on this as it goes almost completely opposite to what I had assumed (E60 being the generic car with a fancy engine). One of the reasons I was thinking of going B7 RS4 is because of the smaller size\less weight it seemed like it was the sportier option of the manual wagons. Was also compared favorably to E46 m3 and e92 at the time and couldn't find much comparison with the E60 which belonged in the bigger size class. Pretty happy as I was afraid I'd get the E61 and it would end up feeling like a dull barge with a mismatched engine...

Comment

Now manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	239385

And a few parts leftover, you know, standard e60 M5 spares to keep in the trunk:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	247.7 KB
ID:	239386

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X