e46 M3 Touring Conversion - To Europe and Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e46 M3 Touring Conversion - To Europe and Back

Yet another e46 M3 Touring conversion but with a slight twist which I believe is a little unique in the approach. I decided to transport two cars, a 2003 BMW e46 325iT Touring and a 2003 BMW e46 M3 Convertible from the USA to Europe to get an e46 M3 Touring conversion done.

The goal, like many others before this one, build an e46 M3 Touring as if it came from the factory.

Why? See FAQ

Up-to-date pics follow the hashtag #e46m3teurotrip on Instagram.

12/21/2021 - Pickup from home to transport to the Baltimore port

Touring (Wagon):
    US 2003 BMW e46 325iT (~145k miles 1 owner)

Donor Parts Car:
    US 2003 BMW e46 M3 Convertible (~155k miles 2 owners)

FAQ:
    1. Why Export / why not get the work done in the USA? I reached out to a few different domestic sources but after weighing all my options I chose to go with Attila Csontos M3projekts. The attention to detail I've seen, his specialization in e46 M3, and his past performance (and cost see Forum & 3) made it almost a no-brainer. Many of the shops I contacted were either just willing to do the mechanical swap or bodywork, not both. Those that would do both either timelines or pricing were beyond what I was willing to take on. I've had too many projects in the past which went longer or never completed.
    2. The transport cost must be expensive: Negative. The cost to export 2 and re-import 1 was about the same and maybe even less than to transport the cars across the USA. I've done domestic transport before and it's not cheap. Transporting overseas is cheaper than you may think.
    3. You must have deep pockets: Nope. I was fortunate enough to purchase the touring and M3 donor at PRE-Covid prices. Additionally, shop rates are more in the USA. The costs come out to be equal or cheaper YET the quality remains outstanding. Also I've sold a few things from other hobbies to help fund LOL.
    4. How can I track your progress? You can follow progress by following #e46m3teurotrip on Instagram. I will try posting here as well.
    Timeline:
    12/21/2021 - Pickup both cars to transport to the Baltimore port
    01/18/2022 - Departed Baltimore Port (Holiday delays pushed original departure date)
    01/27/2022 - Arrived Hamburg, Germany
    02/14/2022 - Pickup from Hamburg Port (Unexpected delay in customs & availability for transport to m3projekts in Hungary)
    02/25/2022 - Cars delivered to m3projekts Click image for larger version

Name:	dataurl634076.gif
Views:	939
Size:	43 Bytes
ID:	211184
    03/01/2022 - Start Touring teardown
    03/21/2022 - Transport touring to bodyshop for M3 body conversion & slicktop conversion.
    05/12/2022 - Seats, door panels, steering wheel, and interior soft touch trim recovered and refurbished by the upholsterer
    05/24/2022 - Car back from the bodyshop
    05/29/2022 - M3 Mirror modified and fitted
    06/03/2022 - S54 pulled from donor
    06/15/2022 - Replace rod bearings and other engine refresh
    06/20/2022 - Rear Subframe & Floor Reinforcement
    06/26/2022 - Undercoating
    07/07/2022 - Off to Paintshop
    10/14/2022 - Back from paint & begin reassembly
    01/19/2023 - 99% complete & wheel alignment
    02/01/2023 - CSL Airbox installation
    03/01/2023 - FIRST TEST DRIVE!!! - Exactly ONE year after teardown/disassembly started!!!
    03/18/2023 - Pickup from m3projects to go back to Ivo Christov for transport prep​
    Last edited by puma1824; 03-25-2023, 05:24 AM.

Parts started to arrive. Still haven't decided if I will ship them to Europe to get installed or just wait until the completed car returns to the USA.

Refurbished Steering Wheel sourced by EuroConnex

Repaired e46 M3 Mirror by Radar-Mirror

Had to source some e46 M3 front seats because the M3 convertible isn't compatible. Found a set of manual sets. The leather wasn't the best but that doesn't matter as all the leather will be replaced front and back anyways. Once they are re-upholstered I'll post some updated pics.

e46 M3 Manual Seats (Pre-Refurb/Re-cover)

I originally wanted to get some real CF interior trim pieces but then I started looking at more CSL interiors and noticed much of the trim is a darker silver color. After searching for a Sedan/Touring set I wasn't able to locate anything other than lighter aluminum / silver, or wood. So decide to give vinyl wrapping a try. I think I found a color that's pretty close to the CSL darker silver trim. What do you all think?

Comment

Update: Cars arrived in Hamburg, Germany on Jan 27, 2022. (Departed from the USA on Jan 15, 2022 - Holiday delays in Dec - Jan caused the delay). Hope to clear customs this week (week of Mon Feb 7, 2022).

In the meantime more parts keep coming in:

Comment

Some inspiration on my desktop. Original pic provided by racing_bernd. Did some edits to meet my needs.

Comment

Pics from pickup after clearing customs:

Comment

Sounds like a fun project.

I can't say I disagree about practices in Europe vs here which is simply a different mentality.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

How awesome is my builder? Check out this video tour of my euro sourced black interior:

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                Sounds like a fun project.

I can't say I disagree about practices in Europe vs here which is simply a different mentality.
                Yeah very different from my experience as well

Comment

No sunroof delete panel for this one. Got the whole roof instead 😀

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_32392.jpg Views:	7 Size:	179.7 KB ID:	155784
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	image_32393.jpg Views:	8 Size:	208.4 KB ID:	155785
                  Last edited by puma1824; 02-24-2022, 05:43 PM.

Comment

One of these was built here in NZ by HellBM (https://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/5004...ouring-hellbm/), have seen it in person and looks 100% factory. Best of luck with the build, something custom like this would be a lot of fun.

Comment

This is just so cool. Attila's work is top notch, I look forward to following along!

Comment

More parts arrived:

Comment

Cars finally making taking the road trip from Hamburg to Hungary

Comment

Short snow delay but getting closer

Last edited by puma1824; 02-25-2022, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Following. Awesome projects, awesome logistics. Can't wait to see this unfold. That is a seriously long headliner, lol
                              Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X