No announcement yet.

e46 M3 Touring Conversion - To Europe and Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok now that the car is back and I'm starting to look into upgrading the audio in the car. Here's the plan so far:

Requirements:
    • Lightweight of a setup without sacrificing too much audio quality
    • Stealth - I know my head unit replacement choice is NOT and definitely doesn't look OEM, but I'd like the speakers to look OEM; thus Bavsound speakers
    • Add cleaner bass
    • Better audio quality than the current setup

Specs:
    • Head Unit: Alpine iLX-705E46
    • Front Door Speakers: Bavsound Stage 1 3-way speakers (25mm Tweeters, 65mm (2.5") Mid, 6.25" MidBass)
    • Rear Door Speakers: Bavsound Stage 1 (65mm (2.5") Mid)
    • Rear Trunk / Hatch: CDT ES-690CFS (6x9)
    • Amp/DSP: Helix V Twelve DSP MK2
    • Subwoofer: ????
    Wiring Plan:​

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-12-05_00-36-45.png
Views:	210
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	244837

Comment

too many speakers
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

it'd be a real waste of aftermarket amplification and DSP if all you had to run them through were bavsound speakers, there are a good amount of non-invasive options that let you run aftermarket (real) speakers

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
          it'd be a real waste of aftermarket amplification and DSP if all you had to run them through were bavsound speakers, there are a good amount of non-invasive options that let you run aftermarket (real) speakers
          Unfortunately the speakers are already installed prior to the amp. I I would have not already had them I would have used different ones. I can still go the other aftermarket speaker route if the bavsound isn't cutting it but for now that's what's currently installed....unless someone wants to buy them off me LOL
          Last edited by puma1824; 12-08-2023, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            too many speakers
            Yeah they are all the same # of speaker that were there in a stock HK setup. I could not use the rear doors and rear trunk and left the front stage 3-way and add a sub. This is still an option I may entertain. Or keep the rear doors for a little rear fill but not use the 6x9 and run a single 8" or 10" sub.
            Last edited by puma1824; 12-08-2023, 08:38 AM.

Comment

When you have 6.5" woofers, you only need 1" tweeters. E60 gen + went 3 way with 4" mids and 8" underseat, but e36/e46 era was the best with 2 way (5.25 then 6.5").

No need for the 6x9s if you get a sub. The 6.5"s can play down to 80hz where sub will take over.

Or keep the 6x9, and forgo a sub, but they won't move much air below 50hz.

Comment

I only say something because you said "light weight" and you're already going a bit custom.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  When you have 6.5" woofers, you only need 1" tweeters. E60 gen + went 3 way with 4" mids and 8" underseat, but e36/e46 era was the best with 2 way (5.25 then 6.5").

No need for the 6x9s if you get a sub. The 6.5"s can play down to 80hz where sub will take over.

Or keep the 6x9, and forgo a sub, but they won't move much air below 50hz.

I only say something because you said "light weight" and you're already going a bit custom.​
                  Yeah 100% agree won't need both the 6x9 and the sub. I need to figure out if I favor sound (bass) over form (hidden 6x9). I will definitely run one or the other but not both. We'll see if I'm satisfied with the limited bass out of the 6x9. I favor the single 10" over the two 6x9 BUT the only fitment I like is the custom fiberglass enclosure by Bimmerbox who no longer is in business. I can try and make one myself or have one made. Here's what I would prefer if I went single 10"

Name:	65694756_2247304002251136_4034169436502340822_n.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	244997

Comment

Does your park distance control still work with only the two side sensors? Just noticed that the middle two aren’t present.
                    ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
                      Does your park distance control still work with only the two side sensors? Just noticed that the middle two aren’t present.
                      Actually they were relocated. It's just hard to see in previously posted pics. See here:

Name:	bumper-sensors Large.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	246380

Comment

Originally posted by puma1824 View Post

Actually they were relocated. It's just hard to see in previously posted pics. See here:

Name:	bumper-sensors Large.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	246380
                        Oh cool! No false signals from being so close to the ground?

Comment

Oh cool! No false signals from being so close to the ground?
                          Actually, maybe lol...I keep meaning to troubleshoot why I get an "alert" whenever I go in reverse.

Comment

Actually, maybe lol...I keep meaning to troubleshoot why I get an "alert" whenever I go in reverse.
                            By alert do you mean just one beep when you put the car in reverse, or do you mean PDC acting like there’s something behind you?

Japanese (maybe some other markets?) had an extra wire to the PDC module to beep once when you put the car in reverse. If your car was retrofitted by creating a harness from WDS, it may have accidentally had this wire run. You can just unplug the correct wire from the gong above your feet if that’s the case.

Comment

By alert do you mean just one beep when you put the car in reverse, or do you mean PDC acting like there’s something behind you?

Japanese (maybe some other markets?) had an extra wire to the PDC module to beep once when you put the car in reverse. If your car was retrofitted by creating a harness from WDS, it may have accidentally had this wire run. You can just unplug the correct wire from the gong above your feet if that’s the case.
                              When I go in reverse the PDC is acting like there’s something behind the car.

Comment

When I go in reverse the PDC is acting like there’s something behind the car.
                                Yeah, that’s probably because the sensors are hitting the ground. Jack the rear up and see if it goes away. If so, you can either find a way to angle them up or … get a new bumper

Comment

Working...
                                X