Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black & Tan 332iT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bigjae46
    replied
    Wow! Looks amazing!

    Carbon trimming...not fun.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by wyatth View Post
    Booger welds ftw.
    Fancy seeing you here!


    Heat shield is in, only 5/8" room for the exhaust to grow. We'll see if/when it contacts..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	367232 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	367229 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	367230

    Now that the surprise work for the gearbox swap is done, and the side quest to convert to quad exhaust is nearing completion, back to where we were. Carbon trimming.

    Hatch is about ready for paint, finished the massaging necessary to get the inner tail lights to fit right.​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	367233

    And I'd say the exhaust came out great.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	367231

    Leave a comment:


  • wyatth
    replied
    Booger welds ftw.

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

    Certainly not anymore.
    When I had even the smallest issue they would send me a full replacement straight away. Great guys at SS. Like my resonated section 2 started having a broken tin sound after many years and they still sent me out a replacement.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

    No warranty coverage?
    Certainly not anymore.

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

    They were definitely not damaged in shipping, just manufactured poorly
    No warranty coverage?

    Leave a comment:


  • proto.corsa
    replied
    It’s perfect.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
    About the SS exhaust parts that are not fitting for you i think maybe they got damaged in shipping? Did you ever contact SS or their US importer to claim warranty?
    They were definitely not damaged in shipping, just manufactured poorly

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    About the SS exhaust parts that are not fitting for you i think maybe they got damaged in shipping? Did you ever contact SS or their US importer to claim warranty?

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    This evening I decided to do something about the super sprint pipes that I love to hate. They were off center by 1" and 3/4" and the faces were angled sufficiently far off that I had 3-4mm of free space when the flanges were touching at the opposing side. Once I wrenched them down, the pipes would get sucked down to the point that they nearly touched the cross brace/section 2 support and they nearly touched the side of the heat shield. Absolutely awful.

    Before:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0296.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	366622

    4 Booger welds later:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0300.jpg Views:	0 Size:	181.6 KB ID:	366623

    Glorious, fits just like it should now - 1/4"+ of clearance to the cross brace, centered in the tunnel and all fasteners just seat right into place. Man, I can't believe how badly these things fit for the price.

    While the car was up, I swapped out the ABS-GF hatch supports with PA-CF that'll handle higher temps and trialed the metal heat shield. Well there's only 3/8" clearance to the back of the muffler, and the whole exhaust grows when it's hot so that's not gonna do. I'll have to take a crack at finding another 5/8" of space or so.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0303.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.6 KB ID:	366620

    And last, the roof rail clip positioning prints worked quite well. I was off by 0.5mm though I can live with that, as it's biased in the direction that you can't see from the side of the car.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0294.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.0 KB ID:	366621
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0295.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	366619

    Leave a comment:


  • bigjae46
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    Then quickly mounted up the hitch hatch and got the bumper looking complete again - happy to see that the cut is invisible even when real close to the ground!​
    Man that cover made me think of Knight Rider. You should motorize so it folds down and then spits out oil or something. 🤣

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    This afternoon was aesthetic things. First, bonding the roof rail clips to the roof with windshield urethane as the VHB did not do the trick
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0282.jpg Views:	5 Size:	111.4 KB ID:	366447
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0284.jpg Views:	6 Size:	76.7 KB ID:	366445

    I had to do lots of urethane cleanup - don't use an electric gun if you're doing this at home - but otherwise the printed clip locators seemed to work pretty well. I'll snap the roof rails back on tomorrow.

    Then quickly mounted up the hitch hatch and got the bumper looking complete again - happy to see that the cut is invisible even when real close to the ground!​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	366446

    Check out how it works
    Last edited by Bry5on; 09-09-2026, 06:54 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 0-60motorsports
    replied
    Love it. Looks so good.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Oh my - what have we done..
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0255.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.4 KB ID:	366247
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0247.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.0 KB ID:	366242

    I promised earlier that we'd get back to the trailer hitch - that time is now. Starting with the scan we took while the trunk floor was out, built up some CAD to create a mechanism to make a tool-free trailer hitch hatch. It pulls out and installs at a 45 degree angle to the ground and is retained using 8 plastic 3D printed springs integral to the mounting parts. The mounting parts, on either side, bolt to the plastic bumper and the hitch bumper bar. The whole center section of the valance is then bonded to a 3D printed hitch hatch so the center section drops out all as one. And there are bosses printed proud such that the whole hitch hatch rests on the bosses and none of the visible plastic has to touch any surface when removed. Because OCD.

    So here's the CAD we started with:​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-05 at 2.24.25 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	875.0 KB ID:	366248
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-05 at 2.24.48 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	264.8 KB ID:	366240
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-05 at 2.56.25 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	122.5 KB ID:	366236

    Then a photo of what it looks like with the trimmed section removed. If you're curious, I scored the plastic about 30 times with a sharp utility blade then cleanly broke the two parts apart. This worked quite well actually.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0254.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.0 KB ID:	366246

    In that photo you can also see how I totally jerry rigged the non-m EVAP hoses to connect in the M3 location, more detail of that temporary move to make the car safe(r):
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0253.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.6 KB ID:	366245

    Back to the hitch hatch, The main printed part got sanded, IPA wiped and bond prepped with 3M Primer 94 before adhering the 5952 VHB tape
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0258.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	366243
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0260.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.2 KB ID:	366244

    Then we bond the removed section of the quad tailpipe valance to the VHB by using positioning holes in the mounting brackets, carefully located to match the mounting holes in the valance. This also means that by putting BMW plastic clips into those holes, we can 'lock' the hitch hatch permanently closed, if that was ever useful.

    In any case, here's what it looks like bonded together and half-way installed into the mounting brackets, then final cleaned up, and in its horizontal resting position.​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0268.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.6 KB ID:	366238
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0270.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	366237
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0274.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	366239
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0273.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.2 KB ID:	366241

    I've also made a heat shield (made from the non-m muffler shield) to protect my hands from the hot center section of the muffler. This will all get permanently installed next time we drop the muffler to install the heat shield above it. Tomorrow we add reverse switch and GPS bypass wiring, then do some mocking up of the parts designed for bracing the exhaust to the gearbox. But at least it's drivable for short stints.

    Ah yes, speaking of that. I did get a few hard 1-2 redline shifts in the car and it did great. I usually shift pretty easily and surprised myself chirping the tires into second. So far, no issues. I did pull the fill plug and saw purple oil - so someone's definitely put in some effort to mitigate what is likely that second gear grind, even on this relatively low mileage gearbox. I left the RP stuff in for now and have oil on the bench for later.​

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
    if you ever decide to put an autosolutions short shifter, I can say you won't regret it. My z4mc with the autosolutions shifter and custom lever extender is "chef's kiss" lol.
    Uncanny to see the rear tail pipes on a narrowbody. Like a sleeper tease. lol
    Funny you say that, I will 100% regret it! I’ve driven a few M3s and one Z4M coupe with the auto solutions kit with mild throw reductions and I didn’t like it in any of them. I do like the ability to tune the shift knob height, but I really don’t like the feel and some of the noise that comes with the AS. I do see why people like them, just not for me at the end of the day.

    And call me crazy (twice in a row?) but I prefer the stock twin pipes on the narrow body, but I agree the quad pipes on the narrow body really highlight what’s there for those who know. All about the sleeper

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X