Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black & Tan 332iT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bry5on
    replied
    Alright, here we go! First off, let's start with a scan of the area while we have good access, as I'm going to need to design a bracket to support the center section of the valance, and also a method for easily popping off the center to get access to the trailer hitch, which I am most certainly keeping.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-09-02 at 8.49.16 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	1,015.6 KB ID:	365755

    Then we get to pulling that evap wiring back through the loom so we can run it through the trunk floor like the M3. Always an absolute sticky mess.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0132.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.0 KB ID:	365753

    Tidying it back up
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0135.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.5 KB ID:	365750
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0136.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.0 KB ID:	365747
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0137.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.1 KB ID:	365751

    Now let's slap some paint on all that bare metal. Of course I got overspray on the valance where the tailpipes exit in the process.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0138.jpg Views:	0 Size:	139.5 KB ID:	365740

    Then let's start the bond+rivet process with a copious application of 2K (non-conductive) urethane and a couple different grips of stainless sealed rivets. Not pictured is me welding bolts to the inside of the passenger side muffler bracket, both things are stainless. It was about this time that I realized the donor for the trunk mold had a good sized dent in it -_- far too late to change course and we'll just have to see how we get along with the evap canister.​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0146.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.2 KB ID:	365744
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0147.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.3 KB ID:	365748
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0148.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.2 KB ID:	365742
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0151.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.2 KB ID:	365754
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0152.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.8 KB ID:	365745
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0153.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.9 KB ID:	365743

    And since we can't use the metal stud mounts for the evap canister with this trunk floor, let's bond some fancy studs in using 2 part epoxy
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0158.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.3 KB ID:	365749
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0160.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.5 KB ID:	365746

    And here's the finished product, looks like an M3, just more expensive!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0161.jpg Views:	0 Size:	169.6 KB ID:	365752

    And a bit more tidied up, now looking like an M3 touring. It looks like I'll even be able to manage to retain the felt floor liner from the touring as an extra stash cubby, more on that later
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0163.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.5 KB ID:	365741

    All that's left is driver's side exhaust studs - two are easy, two are complicated - and waiting on remaining parts to button it up
    Last edited by Bry5on; 09-02-2026, 08:11 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Okay, yesterday the clutch arrived. The Z4M and e46 M3 pressure plates are laser engraved with the same part number (and the slave cylinders are the same PN). This confirms that the clutch force should be the same between the two. The disc is of course a different part number due to spline count, but @George Hill will be comparing the disc PN with the 330i clutch to see if it’s the same. If so, this makes a strong argument for the 330i flywheel/clutch/gearbox combo working just fine behind the s54.​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0118.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.1 KB ID:	365690
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0121.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.1 KB ID:	365693
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0122.jpg Views:	0 Size:	160.0 KB ID:	365695

    Gearbox went in just fine after moving my wideband O2 sensor to the other bank. An O2 sensor in this bung will foul on a mounting boss on the bell housing. For install, I ended up reusing my M3 transmission mounts as they felt considerably firmer than the Z4M/330i new and used parts. The M3 ones fit without modification, just have a longer stud on top.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0125.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.6 KB ID:	365694
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0128.jpg Views:	0 Size:	176.3 KB ID:	365696
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0126.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.5 KB ID:	365691

    Here is the sum total of weight saved from the transmission swap - the mass damper on the back of the getrag - 3.5lb​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0130.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	365692

    I’ve been doing more homework on windshield urethane for bonding carbon as well - do not do this! The urethane is typically made black with carbon, which is conductive. Because carbon fiber is higher on the nobility scale than mild steel, the windshield urethane can electrically connect them and cause galvanic corrosion between the carbon and steel in wet, humid, moist or salty environments. The result will be the chassis steel being slowly eaten away over time. So for the trunk floor I’ll be using more white 2K urethane that we used on the roof, along with paint over the steel, and using sealed stainless rivets. Stainless is in between mild steel and carbon on the nobility scale, so I figure this is a good compromise. We did the same for the two rivets we used on the roof. Word to the wise!​

    Leave a comment:


  • discoelk
    replied
    Hell yeah. The m-tech sedans are my favorite E46 form factor. The wagon is a close 2nd.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by discoelk View Post
    Are you keeping it narrow body?
    You know it

    Leave a comment:


  • discoelk
    replied
    Are you keeping it narrow body?

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    haha that photo looking up from underneath past the muffler, through the trunk floor that isn't there and out through the rear window really tripped me out for a second 😂

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Another afternoon of progress. Lots of little work on the trunk floor in prep and I decided I should probably test fit the muffler before permanently attaching everything.

    Good news, all the measurements checked out and it fits perfect!

    I realized in all this that the trunk floor is 12.5lbs lighter and the muffler is … 12.5lbs heavier. Classic.

    I’ll let the photos do the talking:​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	365598
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	365600
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	365599
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	365597
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	365596
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0094.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	365595
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	365593
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	365594
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	365601

    Leave a comment:


  • George Hill
    replied
    This is really interesting to me. It looks like the E46 M3s have (3)? configurations:
    • CSL - Have NO LDP or DMTL at all
    • Euro - Have LDP pre 09/01 and DMTL after
    • US - Have LDP pre 09/01 and DMTL after
    Early MS42 E46s only had the LDP and I've used Euro software with no fault suppression and didn't have heater faults. Does the Euro software show anything about heaters?

    My understanding is that the DMTL is the same thing (essentially) as LDP but with the heater added so 4 wire vs 3 wire.

    Leakage Diagnosis Pump
    Diagnostic Module for Tank Leakage

    DMTL wiring drops down through the hole with the ride height sensor:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	138
Size:	788.2 KB
ID:	365514​

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	128
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	365515​

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	123
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	365516​

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Haha good call! no point in having it enabled if it's not being monitored for errors! Set the control (CTL) byte of DTC 0x0E to 0x03 :-) Have checked the disassembly and it's just this one code to change.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2026-08-31 at 5.31.24 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	365474

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by karter16 View Post

    Bingo - yep that's it.

    LDPH is disabled by default in 0401 (K_LDPH_CFG == 0) The code for the module is there so technically I don't see any reason you couldn't enable it in the config. but I bet that's not the path you're thinking of taking
    Oh that’s interesting. I mean I’m game to run it if it’s better for the environment (knowing if there’s a leak I mean), but even with LDP enabled it probably still doesn’t have code for the heater portion from DMTL? Serious nuance here. Hah

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

    George Hill just pointed out to me that euro cars may not have the evap heater and thus would be missing the thicker gauge wires. Now I’m wondering if the 0401 CSL software even turns the heater on, or if it’s just vestigial.
    Bingo - yep that's it.

    LDPH is disabled by default in 0401 (K_LDPH_CFG == 0) The code for the module is there so technically I don't see any reason you couldn't enable it in the config. but I bet that's not the path you're thinking of taking

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by karter16 View Post

    Let me investigate further, maybe I’m misleading you. Will have a look in more detail this evening and report back


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    George Hill just pointed out to me that euro cars may not have the evap heater and thus would be missing the thicker gauge wires. Now I’m wondering if the 0401 CSL software even turns the heater on, or if it’s just vestigial.

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    So I thought I had it straight as bigjae46 says but karter16 that doesn’t look like a big enough wire bundle? That looks like the ride height sensor wires in your car to me. Most photos I’ve found look like yours with that little bundle. My touring has the ride height sensor wires there and it looks very similar.

    Do European cars have less wiring for the evap system?
    Let me investigate further, maybe I’m misleading you. Will have a look in more detail this evening and report back


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    So I thought I had it straight as bigjae46 says but karter16 that doesn’t look like a big enough wire bundle? That looks like the ride height sensor wires in your car to me. Most photos I’ve found look like yours with that little bundle. My touring has the ride height sensor wires there and it looks very similar.

    Do European cars have less wiring for the evap system?

    Leave a comment:


  • karter16
    replied

    I don’t have any pics of underneath unfortunately…


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X