Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black & Tan 332iT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bigjae46
    replied
    The hole in the bottom pic has a rubber boot with the EVAP wiring passing through it.

    If you use a hole saw, start the hole and the finish with the drill on reverse. Once the teeth start digging into the carbon it will go quick since I think Iaid up core material there. Then 120 grit sand paper to remove any frayed strands.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Now you've got me wanting a milkshake - I think that'll be my next move today.

    Took a few hours this morning to make the full commitment. Here we go! 16lbs removed, 3.5lbs added back in:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	365439
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	365441

    Carbon panel fits pretty well, exhaust hanger fits great. This should all go together nicely.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	365440
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	365437
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	365435

    And I'm reminded of why welding subframe reinforcement plates is a bad idea (this area had road dust in it, as it's technically exposed to the environment. I will be painting this part up to at least keep that section of corrosion at bay.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	365438
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	365436

    Anyone know how the wiring for the M3 evap system is run through/out of the cabin? It looks like it's reasonably different than the non-m and I'm going to at least need to reroute that harness. Could use some pointers as it's hard to find photos of that system.

    Leave a comment:


  • bigjae46
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    EthanolTurbo is about to be the one in the hot seat unless someone local in SD has muffler hangers, heat shield and all of the evap parts handy that they’re willing to part with bigjae46 you’re no longer it!
    Haha...thanks! I wish I had gotten the mold done earlier instead of waiting until late Jun in Houston.

    I'd work on the mold until noon when I was no longer in the shade.

    A trip to DQ for a blizzard afterwards made everything ok

    IYKYK

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6258.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	365426
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Last edited by bigjae46; 08-30-2026, 09:45 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Alright, back on the horse. We’re still waiting on the gearbox, clutch, shifter components and driveshaft but today I received the trunk floor from bigjae46 who pulled a mold and made a floor for me after pestering him about it for a year. Thanks man! It comes in at 3.5lb and has some extra blocking to be able to install it all from the top inside the trunk. This will drop 10lb from the back of the car, offsetting some of the weight from the bigger quad pipe M3 muffler.

    Here’s some quick mocking up:​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0052.jpg Views:	3 Size:	196.1 KB ID:	365393 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0053.jpg Views:	3 Size:	113.6 KB ID:	365391

    And the prep work for mounting the passenger side hanger, featuring a rivet-in bracket and locating fixture to get everything in the right spot. Thanks George Hill for validating the fitment of this and the driver’s side drill jig on an actual M3.​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0045.jpg Views:	3 Size:	160.6 KB ID:	365390 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0046.jpg Views:	3 Size:	157.1 KB ID:	365392

    EthanolTurbo is about to be the one in the hot seat unless someone local in SD has muffler hangers, heat shield and all of the evap parts handy that they’re willing to part with bigjae46 you’re no longer it!
    Last edited by Bry5on; 08-29-2026, 08:44 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by enjoy_m3 View Post
    I think its for the better. The shifter feel of the zf z4mc is better. I think it may have slightly lower gear ratios, not sure if I'm remembering it correctly.
    How many miles were on the transmission?
    88k according to the listing. And a roadster so probably not ripped on like a coupe would have been.

    Leave a comment:


  • enjoy_m3
    replied
    I think its for the better. The shifter feel of the zf z4mc is better. I think it may have slightly lower gear ratios, not sure if I'm remembering it correctly.
    How many miles were on the transmission?

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
    This is just prior life error.

    It happens and it sucks OP, sorry to see.

    This is why I have multiple SMG boxes as spares.
    I like to think of it as something good must be happening to balance this out. Is what it is! Just a car at the end of the day.

    Leave a comment:


  • Sharocks
    replied
    This is just prior life error.

    It happens and it sucks OP, sorry to see.

    This is why I have multiple SMG boxes as spares.

    Leave a comment:


  • bigjae46
    replied
    Originally posted by Obioban View Post

    Hmm.

    I have a combined ~500,000 miles (including 20,000+ track miles) on 420G’s and have had… zero issues of any sort. Meanwhile, never had a BMW 5 speed that didn’t develop lean and need seals replaced.

    I feel like they’re generally pretty solid!
    Most people that claim they can drive a manual...can't. I think you take really good care of the car and know how to drive a manual. Yes, that makes you weird. Maybe borderline ice cream truck driver weird. lol

    So I'm sure a maintained 420g in capable hands will last forever but 99.99% of manual M3s have been grinded and beaten on with the original fill from the break in service...if it got one. It is hard to find a good shifting used 420g, not hard to find a ZF320 that shifts well. The lean is an easy fix if you can find parts and afford them.

    Leave a comment:


  • Obioban
    replied
    Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
    Seems like these 420g gearboxes have a lot of issues. More than other gearboxes. This is a feeling, no data. Its hard to tell since fewer and fewer non-Ms are manuals. I think the E46 was the last gen to have a decent number of manual cars.
    Hmm.

    I have a combined ~500,000 miles (including 20,000+ track miles) on 420G’s and have had… zero issues of any sort. Meanwhile, never had a BMW 5 speed that didn’t develop lean and need seals replaced.

    I feel like they’re generally pretty solid!

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Originally posted by YoitsTmac View Post

    Nooooo! I’ve had that in my cart forever! I do miss my ZHP box. When I swapped to manual my immediate thought was “really? This is the sought after feel of the legendary E46 M3?” Hopefully we can still do a cable shifter? I have all the bits from my SMG, transmission included ☕️
    Not much extra effort to use the 330i flywheel and gearbox, you’re not totally hosed!

    Leave a comment:


  • YoitsTmac
    replied
    Originally posted by Bry5on View Post
    I agree, which is why I bought this Z4M GS6-37: https://ebay.io/m/8qnreU

    I did unfortunately have one of the smoother shifting G420s though. Sad it had to go out this way.
    Nooooo! I’ve had that in my cart forever! I do miss my ZHP box. When I swapped to manual my immediate thought was “really? This is the sought after feel of the legendary E46 M3?” Hopefully we can still do a cable shifter? I have all the bits from my SMG, transmission included ☕️

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    I agree, which is why I bought this Z4M GS6-37: https://ebay.io/m/8qnreU

    I did unfortunately have one of the smoother shifting G420s though. Sad it had to go out this way.

    Leave a comment:


  • bigjae46
    replied
    Seems like these 420g gearboxes have a lot of issues. More than other gearboxes. This is a feeling, no data. Its hard to tell since fewer and fewer non-Ms are manuals. I think the E46 was the last gen to have a decent number of manual cars.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bry5on
    replied
    Well, as suspected, broke a shift fork 💪

    Looking for a new gearbox now - factory one is $15k 😑​
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9983.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	364668 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9984.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	364669 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9985.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	364670

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X