No announcement yet.

Liam821's e46 324i k24/dct/turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man that engine looks tiny in there. Cabin air filter housing makes the S54 look like a 4 cylinder... and the K look like a 2 cylinder.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
      Man that engine looks tiny in there. Cabin air filter housing makes the S54 look like a 4 cylinder... and the K look like a 2 cylinder.
      Front mid-engine! haha

And yeah, it looks tiny in there, especially with the cabin air filter housing.

Spent more time pulling out the rest of the interior and cleaning...

Found their food stores...thankfully they kept that area clean, it just had food and vacuumed right up

Everything else has been removed now

I'm happy to report that the smell has mostly left with the interior. I'm gonna do some more cleaning this weekend and see what's what. Worst comes to worst, I'll send this shell to the big crusher in the sky and pick up another one.
      E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Nice lack of fold through!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i
        2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Just joining the thread, can't wait to see the progress!

Comment

I first thought I was going to do a full dry sump system, but after talking with Robert at Tractuff I'm going to do a wet sump external oil pump solution. Basically, I'll chop the front off the stock oil pan (where the OEM oil pump lives) and move the oil pickup to the back - I'll make the back wider so I can keep ~5 quarts of oil.

Robert@Tractuff's e46m3 with a k-swap.

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            Nice lack of fold through!
            Yes! Thanks! I wanted a non-folding rear since the chassis is much stiffer and almost on pair with an e46m3.

Originally posted by b-thumper View Post
            Just joining the thread, can't wait to see the progress!
            Same! The replacement transmission mounts should come in the mail tomorrow. I'll start working on building engine mounts this week.

Comment

Got the new e89/e92 non-m DCT transmission mount in the mail today! Here is the side-by-side with the e9Xm3 style mount. The smaller one is the e89/e92 non-m one. If you're wondering, yes, both mounts fit either transmission. All four transmission versions are essentially the same except for gear ratio and bell-housing combinations. They all feature the same input spline, filters, and oil pan. There are two V8 bell housings (e9Xm3 short-ratios and the F10m5 long-ratios) and two slant/6 bell housings (135/335/z4 short ratios and F80m3/m4 which was a long ratio). My gearbox is an e92m3 short-ratio because it had the best support from the DME I'll be using (MaxxECU) and has the short ratios. She's thick three c's here big.

SeemsLegitGarage trans crossmount with e89 non-m mount

aannnnddddd it just doesn't fit... the transmission is back as far as it goes and is hitting the transmission tunnel. You can see the bolt holes just don't line up.

Lifetime fill lolz

What I think I'm going to do is put a 10mm spacer on the back of the transmission mount to push the engine and trans forward 10mm. I'd rather have the engine as far back as possible, but moving it 10mm still puts the engine in a good place, will allow me to use a stock Honda valve cover, and the transmission fits. It puts the front of the engine about 21" from the rear firewall.

Comment

Oooo exciting build series!

At least with pushing the engine forward 10mms you can access the engine oil fill cap without taking off the cabin filter housing. Win win! =)

Comment

Got 10mm spacers in the mail and 10mm longer M10 12.9 grade bolts (M10x40)

They'll go on the transmission mount like this. If I had a slant 6 bell housing (135i/e92/f80m3) dct I probably wouldn't need to do this, but the s65 bell housing is really wide

Mount installed with the spacers

Finally bolts right up!

The engine is just about right where it needs to be. There is a 1 degree up angle towards the back of the transmission. So I'm either going to have to raise the motor a few mm or lower the back of the transmission a few mm. I'm probably going to lower the transmission just a tiny bit as I'd like to keep the engine as low as possible.

All the room for a big turbo setup! I was eyeballing turbo placement with an EFR7064 turbine housing off my race car.

The engine is as far back as I can get it. Almost all behind the steering rack

Just squeezes in under the factory hvac cawl. I'll probably end up using a low-profile valve cover anyway since getting the valve cover on and off is tight with the stock one.

The dct does not stick below the frame rails, thankfully

It's a massive transmission

I've done a 3d scan of the engine bay and will start designing motor mounts in Fusion360. I'll post some pictures of how that goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X