No announcement yet.

Immaculate low mileage 2004 Silver Grey CSL Inspired Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While doing research for the CSL install, I found no comprehensive DIY for this project. I had to pick through various forums, YouTube videos, and random decade old PDFs to piece together some sort of a tutorial. I decided that I was going to take on a clear and comprehensive DIY that could be used by others in the future. Once it’s finished I will host the PDF on my website and give it to Karbonius so they can provide it to future customers. For now, here’s some info and photos of the install.

Everything stripped out of the interior.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4910.jpg Views:	0 Size:	190.7 KB ID:	245513

Mirror adjustment harness was extended. I cut, stripped, soldered, heat shrunk then ran it to its new home under the center console.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5064.jpg Views:	0 Size:	115.2 KB ID:	245514
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5074.jpg Views:	0 Size:	408.4 KB ID:	245517
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5076.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.0 KB ID:	245516
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5078.jpg Views:	0 Size:	158.3 KB ID:	245515

Door brackets being installed
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4904.jpg Views:	0 Size:	140.1 KB ID:	245520
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4906.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.5 KB ID:	245519
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4909.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.8 KB ID:	245518

Here is the hardware I used. If anyone is doing this project and wants the correct hardware, please reach out. I have more than enough and I will send you a set for free.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4908.jpg Views:	0 Size:	297.9 KB ID:	245521

Vapor barrier modified to fit new brackets.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5103.jpg Views:	0 Size:	238.6 KB ID:	245524
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5112.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.2 KB ID:	245523

Onto the door panels. Here is everything laid out for install.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4919.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.7 KB ID:	245525

Photos of the door panel modification and install. I had a lot more photos for you to follow along visually, but I reached the maximum attachment limit for my post and I had to delete them. Here are a few.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4924.jpg Views:	0 Size:	235.9 KB ID:	245529
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4931.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.0 KB ID:	245527
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4928.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.6 KB ID:	245526
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4932.jpg Views:	0 Size:	248.2 KB ID:	245528

Prior to installing the new panel, I added a little bit of sound deadening to the back. It added about 7.5oz of weight to the panel. The panel now sounds and feels very solid, yet lightweight at the same time. It is a strange combination that is hard to describe. It’s one of those things that if you knocked on the panel with your knuckle, you’d know right away what failing to describe.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4943.jpg Views:	0 Size:	230.4 KB ID:	245530

After the new panel was on, I replaced all of the clips with the version that contains the foam o-ring vapor barrier. They feel more solid and should allow less movement / potential rattling issues as well.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4951.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.7 KB ID:	245531

Door handles were replaced. I specifically chose the non HK versions for a more minimalist look. I never realized how worn the chrome on my door handle was until I held them side by side.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4952.jpg Views:	0 Size:	207.3 KB ID:	245532

Here is the freshly modified and restored door panel. Also some shots in the sun so you get a more true look. The process for the rear panels was very similar so I will not be posting that unless someone would like to see something specific.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4960.jpg Views:	0 Size:	164.9 KB ID:	245533
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5083.jpg Views:	0 Size:	402.8 KB ID:	245535
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5084.jpg Views:	0 Size:	332.9 KB ID:	245534

Mocked up on the door to verify the bracket location. It was such a relieving and satisfying feeling when the bracket lined up perfectly with the holes in the door panel.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4956.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.1 KB ID:	245536

Everything installed. Turned out exactly how I imagined. I will try to capture some more outdoor beauty shots soon.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5121.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.4 KB ID:	245537
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5120.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.9 KB ID:	245539
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	274.8 KB ID:	245541 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5130.jpg Views:	0 Size:	214.6 KB ID:	245540
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5132.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.7 KB ID:	245538

Here’s everything that was permanently removed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5129.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.3 KB ID:	245542

This was definitely a fun but highly involved project. I learned a ton in the process. I am by no means the leading authority on CSL door panel installs, but I now have a really good grasp on the project. If anyone needs help with this project, please reach out. If you’re local I can help you in person, and if not I can FaceTime to answer any questions as you do the install.
    Last edited by Avedis; 12-15-2023, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Reading your entires is always cathartic. Can’t wait until I have a proper garage and can devote a similar amount of effort/attention to detail towards working on my car.

Looking forward to seeing what’s up next for the car.

Comment

That looks absolutely gorgeous! I have started saving money for Matte CSL door panels to replace my Glossy OE CSL ones with. Also going to get the seatbelts done. The minimalist simple look Just won me over.

Comment

Amazing build!! Can you share the exact details on the hardware used for the CSL door panels?
          2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
            Have you driven the car yet and observed any change in cabin noise?
            I haven't driven it yet, but when I do I will listen and report back. To be honest though, I've driven this car so few miles that I'm probably a bad judge of what the baseline noise was. Either way I will let you know.

Originally posted by Projecte46m3 View Post
            Amazing build!! Can you share the exact details on the hardware used for the CSL door panels?
            Absolutely,
            M5x10mm hex socket head cap bolt LINK
            M5 flat washer LINK
            M5 serrated flanged nut LINK

If you are preparing to do your install, my comprehensive DIY will be posted within the next few days. It has pretty much every detail you could want.
            Last edited by Avedis; 12-14-2023, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Avedis View Post
              I haven't driven it yet, but when I do I will listen and report back. To be honest though, I've driven this car so few miles that I'm probably a bad judge of what the baseline noise was. Either way I will let you know.

Absolutely,
              M5x10mm hex socket head cap bolt LINK
              M5 flat washer LINK
              M5 serrated flanged nut LINK

If you are preparing to do your install, my comprehensive DIY will be posted within the next few weeks. It has pretty much every detail you could want.
              Thank you! Yes, I'm preparing to do the install as well. Looking forward to see the detailed DIY post.
              2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Avedis

First of all great build, really love the attention to detail. Do you feel that the sound deadening is necessary on the back of the carbon interior panels with the vapor barrier already sort of acting as some of it. Reason asking is because I have a set of panels that are waiting to get installed. Kind of bummed that I didn't as KARB to see if they can do brushed door handles since I have brushed aluminum trim as well.
                2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

ImAzn Projecte46m3
                  The CSL door panel/ center console DIY is live HERE
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	E46_M3_CSL_DIY_FACEPAGE.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	246227

Originally posted by slavik1988 View Post
                  Avedis

First of all great build, really love the attention to detail. Do you feel that the sound deadening is necessary on the back of the carbon interior panels with the vapor barrier already sort of acting as some of it. Reason asking is because I have a set of panels that are waiting to get installed. Kind of bummed that I didn't as KARB to see if they can do brushed door handles since I have brushed aluminum trim as well.
                  That’s a very fair question. In terms of adding sound deadening on the back of the carbon panel to block/reduce road noise, it probably makes little to no difference.

I installed the sound deadening to change the way the panels felt, not to reduce ingress of noises. With the sound deadening on them, they have a lovely solid feeling when you interact with them. Whether you are purposely tapping on the panel, or incidentally knocking your knuckle as you grab the door handle, they just feel sturdy now.

As you know, the Karbonius panels are made to such a high standard and are incredibly light. The flip side of that is they have a slightly tinny feeling when you touch them. With the sound deadening, you are literally only adding ounces of weight while dramatically enhancing the feel of them.

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post
                  Have you driven the car yet and observed any change in cabin noise?
                  Drove it to a local cars & coffee meet and did not notice any dramatic increase in noise with the insulation removed.

I did notice that the car smells far less like an E46 M3 now. The insulation has been out for a few weeks now and the interior has definitely lost some of its iconic smell. It’s been referred to as “crayon smell,” but I personally never thought it smelled like crayons. Regardless of what it smells like, it dramatically diminished.

Last edited by Avedis; 12-18-2023, 10:38 AM.

Comment

While doing research for the CSL install, I found no comprehensive DIY for this project. I had to pick through various forums, YouTube videos, and random decade old PDFs to piece together some sort of a tutorial. I decided that I was going to take on a clear and comprehensive DIY that could be used by others in the future. Once it’s finished I will host the PDF on my website and give it to Karbonius so they can provide it to future customers. For now, here’s some info and photos of the install.

Here’s everything that was permanently removed.
                    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5129.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.3 KB ID:	245542
                    How much do those parts weigh? And if you are going to toss that into the trash, please PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by nyc951 View Post
                      How much do those parts weigh? And if you are going to toss that into the trash, please PM me!
                      Definitely not going in the trash. They have been packed up and stored away for now.

I actually just weighed these and a few other parts for another member. Weights do not include hardware such as screws, bolts, etc. The weights are EACH, not total.
                      • Center Armrest 3lb 13.9oz
                      • HK rear parcel shelf speaker 1lb 14.3oz
                      • HK rear parcel shelf subwoofer 7lb 1.9oz
                      • HK rear door panel speaker 8.3oz
                      • HK front door panel speaker 1lb 13oz
                      • Front Door Airbag 1lb 9.7oz
                      • Font Door Armrest 1lb 13.5oz
                      • Front Door Panel Insert 2lb 14.9oz
                      • Rear Door Armrest 14oz
                      • Rear Door Panel Insert 1lb 8oz
                      • Center console with cupholder, storage tray, ashtray 3lb 6.1oz
                      • Rear parcel shelf latch-restraint hardware 1lb 1.6oz
                      • M Mobility Kit 5lb 11oz
                      • Rear Headrest 1lb 4.1oz

Comment

Thank you for the detailed write ups, pictures and weights. Happy Holiday!

Comment

Continuing on with the theme of buying parts when you can, not necessarily when you want.

Just before Christmas someone posted a reasonably priced (for 2023 market) OE CSL trunk less than 40 minutes away from me. I drove down, confirmed it was a genuine BMW part by inspecting / comparing it to resource images I had saved, then weighing it (yes, I actually brought a bathroom scale).

The seller said it had sat in his garage since 2019, and by the looks of it, he was being honest. There was an incredibly thick layer of dust and dirt on it, and the paintwork had a good amount of scratches and chips. I wasn’t concerned with the paint condition, as it was going to get repainted regardless. Most importantly, it was solid, no structural damage, broken corners, modifications, etc.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5403.jpg Views:	0 Size:	370.6 KB ID:	247162
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5404.jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.2 KB ID:	247161
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5405.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.6 KB ID:	247160

I had no doubt it was the real deal and I picked it up as an unexpected Christmas present to myself. I cleaned it up, took a cheesy photo under the Christmas tree, then packed it right back up for storage.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5410.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.5 KB ID:	247163
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5411.jpg Views:	0 Size:	294.6 KB ID:	247164

Although the actual paint and install won’t be happening for a long time, I am already preparing for the install by buying all new hardware, pre fitting accessories, and creating the license plate lights wiring harness. Every part on the trunk will be new. I’ll be documenting the entire process and creating a comprehensive DIY. For now, the trunk will sit in storage while I continue on with the interior.​
                          Last edited by Avedis; 12-28-2023, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Man I wondered who picked that trunk up! I unfortunately saw the FS ad too late. Glad its going on a great build though

Comment

Score

Comment

Blank upper steering wheel trim and refinished lower steering wheel trim installed. Loving this streamlined and driving focused setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2377.jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	219521

Do you happen to know the PN for that upper trim piece? looks incredible
                                2006 M3 ZCP 6spd
                                2008 M3 6spd
                                2012 LP 570-4 Super Trofeo Stradale
                                2014 Ferrari 458

Follow me on instagram @ biggreasytaco

Comment

Working...
                                X