heinzboehmer's 2006 Some-kind-of-grey SMG ZCP Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heinzboehmer's 2006 Some-kind-of-grey SMG ZCP Coupe

Waiting on a bunch of parts for this car to arrive, so figured I'd start the build thread

To be honest, this was somewhat of an impulsive buy. Price was right and car is the perfect candidate for a mild restoration. What ended up selling me was the fact that this is a very late production car and has pretty much every single option available. And no, this will not be replacing my blue car

Factory Specs
    • Production date: 2006-04-25
    • Type Code: BL93
    • Body Type: Coupe
    • Transmission: SMG
    • Exterior Color (original): Alpinweiss 3 (300)
    • Engine: S54
    • Interior: Cinnamon power seats
    • Exterior: Sunroof, style 163s
    • Options: ZCP, SMG, sunroof, rear sunshade, ski passthrough, lumbar and heated seats, navigation​
    Out of focus pic right after I bought it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231214_170247.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	246335

As you can see, the car is not white anymore. A previous, long term (10 years) owner had it repainted to this grey. It's not an ugly color, but yeah it's a repaint.

And of course, that's not the only bad thing about this car. Copy paste from another post I made:

Here's all the good things about it:

- ZCP
    - Built 04/25/06
    - Clean title
    - No accidents
    - California car
    - Cinnamon interior
    - Has every single option (even the rear sunshade!)
    - VANOS done
    - SMG pump rebuilt with Burkhart stuff
    - SMG slave cylinder replaced recently
    - Completely stock
    - Cheap!

And the not so good:

- Originally alpine white (which would have been awesome against cinnamon, sigh), but was resprayed some sort of metallic grey by the previous, long term owner
    - Car sat in a driveway most of it's life, so paint is hazy, but looks like a paint correction can fix that
    - 181k mi and still on original rod bearings (!). Actually kinda excited about this one, really want to see what those bearings look like
    - SMG. It's still on all stock everything, so maybe the CSL tune will help, but man SMG is weird
    ​
    It has potential, but will need some work to get there.

Anyway, more pics. I did not want to keep driving the thing on the original rod bearings, so I had it towed home, where it has been sitting since:

Name:	20231214_174307.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	246336

Name:	20231214_174419.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	246337

Name:	20231214_200206.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	246338

And that's where the car will stay until I do the bearings. Also ordered other typical maintenance stuff like filters, engine + transmission mounts, FCABs, diff mounts, valve cover gasket, VANOS bolts, VANOS gasket, spark plugs, etc. There is mention of cooling system work on some of the paperwork I got with the car, so holding off on that for now until I start taking things apart in the engine bay and can inspect the work that was done.

I'll be keeping this thread updated with documentation for the work that I do to the car. Super excited about the rod bearings. Honestly I'm kinda hoping that they're all down to the copper so I can hang them on the wall as garage art
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Congrats on your 2nd M3, can't wait to see what you have in store for this M3. Your Topaz journal is great inspirational/reference to start wrenching on mine.
    Formally SWRTstang_M3 on M3forum.net with a join date of 07/2004

Comment

So excited to follow this!

I vote we (you) expand the scope of the "mild restoration" to include a return to Alpine White ❤
      2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
      Build Thread:
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Congrats! Looking forward to this.

Comment

Thanks guys, looking forward to taking apart this car as well.

karter16 I'd love to go crazy and restore this fully to factory specs. But at the end of the day, it's a high mileage car that I still don't know too much about, so I'm gonna try my hardest to stick to my "mild restoration" plan
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Nice pick up! I like the color, how well done is the paint work? That kind of color is hard to read in photos, we shoot with colors like this a lot. It's going to look vastly different in different lighting. I bet it's cool in person. I for one love dark grey paint with lots of flake. I would leave it and let it be one of the unique things about the car.
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
              Nice pick up! I like the color, how well done is the paint work? That kind of color is hard to read in photos, we shoot with colors like this a lot. It's going to look vastly different in different lighting. I bet it's cool in person. I for one love dark grey paint with lots of flake. I would leave it and let it be one of the unique things about the car.
              Yeah it's a difficult color to capture for sure. Looks less boring in person. I actually do like it, but having the trunk and engine bay still white does bug me.

Base coat looks totally fine. From what I can tell, all the glass and trim were removed/replaced before painting. The clear coat is more of an unknown. It's faded in certain parts, so it's hard to tell what the quality is like. Right rear quarter looks pretty good though, so I'm fairly confident that a good paint correction will bring it back.

Comment

Disassembly started this week:

Name:	20240104_181652.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	248148

Unfortunately there was absolutely no drama. All the bolts came out without a problem and I found no sketchy repairs. This car is missing the front undertray, though, so everything was super grimey. Not fun.

Got the oil pan off yesterday and removed the rod caps from cylinders 3 and 4. This is what those bearings looked like:

Name:	20240105_193328.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	248149

Name:	20240105_193911.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	248150

Looking much better than expected! Think I'm just gonna throw them back in and reassemble everything. No point in swapping stuff out if they've still got some life left

Comment

Those must have been replaced at some point, can't be 181k miles.
                  DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                  /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                  More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                    Those must have been replaced at some point, can't be 181k miles.
                    That's the same thing I thought, but there was absolutely no evidence of anyone being in there before. None of the fasteners had any witness marks on them and none of the other wear items around the area had been replaced.

There's also no record of them being replaced by the first owner (<100k mi) and the guy that sold it to me told me they weren't replaced under his ownership either.

We'll have to see how the rest of them look tomorrow...
                    Last edited by heinzboehmer; 01-06-2024, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

That's the same thing I thought, but there was absolutely no evidence of anyone being in there before. None of the fasteners had any witness marks on them and none of the other wear items around the area had been replaced.

There's also no record of them being replaced by the first owner (<100k mi) and the guy that sold it to me told me they weren't replaced under his ownership either.

We'll have to see how the rest of them look tomorrow...
                      At this point then i would go ahead and replace them especially if you have the parts already.

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

At this point then i would go ahead and replace them especially if you have the parts already.
                        Ha, yeah I was just messing around on that other post. Gonna plastigage and replace all of them tomorrow.

Comment

Low RPM previous driver :P

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                            Low RPM previous driver :P
                            Yeah, I think that's the most likely explanation. Well, that and also the fact that this car has lived in a mild climate its entire life.

Comment

Finished up the bearings today. Here's what the old ones look like:

Name:	20240107_191740.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	248277

Name:	20240107_191945.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	248278

Not bad at all. There's a couple showing a little bit of copper, but they mostly look great.

I went with ACL bearings and stock rod bolts for the replacements. I did plastigage them and they were all well within spec. I'll post up more details (and pictures) soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X