Vegas 2006 Imola 6MT Coupe Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegas 2006 Imola 6MT Coupe Refresh

I’m back in the E46 game again. #4 M3 but #3 E46. Picked up an Imola 6MT locally yesterday. 114,750 It’s mostly stock with the exception of a few items. Front lip, K&N, springs, Auto Solutions SSK, and vinyl wrap. Cali and Nevada car so its 100% rust free. It needs a deep clean inside and out plus some refreshening.

Any YES, the black wrap is already being removed!! I’m taking it back to stock with the exception of Koni yellows and Dinan springs.

It has enough miles that its time to do a lot of maintenance. I am parking it till I can get it up to my standard. Here is what I’ve done since bringing it home.

Many thanks to the parts department at BMW of Escondido aka bmwdiscountparts.com! It was a huge cost saver and only 1-2 days standard shipping from SoCal to Vegas. Our local BMW dealer pricing is terrible. Most of the time, they quote 2-3x MSRP. Never heard of such a thing. The local Audi/Lamborghini dealer discounts all parts off MSRP by comparison.

ENGINE
    Rod bearings
    Valve adjustment
    Vanos service (new Beisan seals and disc)
    MAF sensor
    Water pump
    Radiator
    Thermostat
    Temp sensors x2
    Fan and fan clutch
    Full coolant flush
    Oil change
    Diff oil change
    Trans oil change
    Fuel filter
    CPV o-ring

SUSPENSION
    Koni Yellow
    Dinan Springs
    Spring pads
    Ball joints (upper and lower)
    RTAB + limiters

BRAKES
    Rebuild calipers (F&R)
    Stoptech Lines
    Brake fluid flush

BODY
    Rear window outer trim and seals
    Headlight trim
    Passenger mirror glass

INTERIOR
    B and C pillars
    Rearview mirror (radarmirror.com)
    Cup holders
    Trunk plastic trim
    Driver’s window switch
    Center console rear trim
    Driver’s kick trim
    Driver’s window regulator
    UUC clutch bushings

After:

Click image for larger version  Name:	9F279ADD-7C25-4BC1-B66B-612D92DD57B6.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	172.5 KB ID:	71567

Click image for larger version  Name:	7C4C6488-CA24-40A4-AED0-CEBCDE576FB3.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	168.9 KB ID:	71569

Click image for larger version  Name:	0FD4B227-9691-46FC-9591-BDA4855090C7.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	173.7 KB ID:	71568

Before:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9732.jpg Views:	838 Size:	279.9 KB ID:	30816
    Last edited by 8000RPM; 12-12-2020, 02:16 PM.

First up, Vanos inspection and upgrade before it grenades on me! 115k, both tabs intact! Saved $500!

Ordered Beisan upgrades, just waiting for shipment.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	36677

Name:	
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	36680

Name:	
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	36679

Name:	
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	36678
    Last edited by 8000RPM; 07-08-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Nice find seems like you got a good one
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Thanks! It’s coming along nicely. As I’m digging into cleaning and maintenance, I’m very pleased. It needs all the typical items but being my third E46 M3, it kind of old habit now.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
        Nice find seems like you got a good one

Comment

The previous owner told me when I bought the car, the tail light was replaced with an aftermarket due to lost LEDs. The fit was terrible so I had to get it replaced with OE along with the side markers back to OE as well.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by 8000RPM; 06-21-2020, 09:15 PM.

Comment

The cowl, a few trim bits underneath it and the wipers needed to be replaced. Knocked that out along with some new wipers. I went BMW brand as the Bosch equivalent do not seem to last.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	36748

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	99.8 KB ID:	36750

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	128.4 KB ID:	36749

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	118.4 KB ID:	36752

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	155.7 KB ID:	36753
            Last edited by 8000RPM; 07-09-2020, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Nice! I really appreciate that you're taking this car back to stock. I'm not a fan of how it looked when you bought it.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

The parcel shelf looked okay but after removing the tint, you could really tell it was faded. Nothing some spray dye can’t fix. I used this brand before and it works great.

Name:	
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	37334

Name:	
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	37333
                Last edited by 8000RPM; 07-08-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I swear its impossible to remove a Vanos electrical connector without breaking one of the tabs. Happened again!? Switching it out wasn’t too bad.

Name:	
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	37338

Name:	
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	37340
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by 8000RPM; 07-08-2020, 07:43 PM.

Comment

The fan guard had the signs of dried coolant and when I removed the pulley it was pretty bad. The water pump was the original with a 2005 manufacturer date. The bearings were shot.

I replaced the temperature sensors along with the water pump. I throughly flushed the old coolant out with a cheap harbor freight pump and distilled water. It worked really well. I stuck the tubing in each of the passages and flushed till it ran clear.

Name:	
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	38156

Name:	
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	38157

Name:	
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	38158

Name:	
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	38159

Name:	
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	38160
                    Last edited by 8000RPM; 07-09-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Vanos cleaned, installed updated Beisan seals and pump disc. I mounted up the unit but can’t seem to find my magnets to finished cleaning the solenoid block. Got to run out in the morning to pick one up. Hopefully I will have it back together tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	314.8 KB ID:	38166

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	143.0 KB ID:	38167

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	133.5 KB ID:	38168

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	95.3 KB ID:	38169

Name:	image_18033.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	68998

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	140.5 KB ID:	38170
                      Last edited by 8000RPM; 11-22-2020, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I forgot to add this to the Vanos install notes. This wrench is awesome. I got it off the recommendation from someone on M3F. It made removal and install of the unit from the splined shafts super quick and easy. Also less chance of dropping the tool.

Name:	
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	38445
                        Last edited by 8000RPM; 07-09-2020, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Great job/skill doing the vanos, wish I had the skill.

Comment

Oh man, I wish you would have mad a DIY on the parcel shelf . . . I have to do that on mine.

I am positive I looked at this car a bunch of times when I was shopping around.

I love the attention you are giving to this car. !!!

Great Job.

Comment

Thanks! I’ve been happy with the car so far!

It’s really easy to pull the back shelf out. There are a few DIYs out there but this one outlines the steps. If you have questions, let me know.

Originally posted by cbean View Post
                              Oh man, I wish you would have mad a DIY on the parcel shelf . . . I have to do that on mine.

I am positive I looked at this car a bunch of times when I was shopping around.

I love the attention you are giving to this car. !!!

Great Job.

Comment

Working...
                              X