No announcement yet.

Obioban's 2005 IR/IR Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did an event at lightning last weekend. Got food poisoning saturday night, and only got 2-3 hours of sleep as a result, so I only drove one session on sunday, so not buying pictures (would only get half the value).

This coming weekend I'm doing my first ever time trial. Should be interesting. Rain on the calendar, for extra excitement.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.2 KB ID:	180987

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.7 KB ID:	180986
    Attached Files

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Welp... time trialing was stupid. I thought time trialing was basically a DE, only you game it for a super quick lap, fastest lap wins. Turns out that's time attack. Time trialing is more like autoX, on a track... over ~half a lap. From a stop (so you have to launch, hard on the car for no reason). And you wait in line after each run, so tires and brakes never get up to temp (really, I should have run street pads and tires instead of track pads and tires).

The classing system is also clearly broken. I won my class by a 5 second margin over 2nd place, over half a lap-- with me not launching hard, and not having tires or brakes really working (cold).

Dumb. Not doing that again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	68272992482__1F50F31A-6BEF-4596-9FFA-24756184E94D.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	181378

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Now that is an honest review, nonetheless good to be first even if it wasn't what you had hoped.
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Does anyone run Time Attack in the NE that you have found?

Comment

COM runs time attack format. Day one is basically a standard DE and day two is time attack style. usually the fast lap stuff is done but mid afternoon and the rest of the afternoon on day two is open track. They run most of the northeast track over the season.

Comment

I guess its a semantics thing, but with Nasa we call time trials what you have described as a time attack. I quite like that format, which is basically a DE with (usually) skilled and courteous drivers who are going for hot laps and doing their best to not get in the way of other individual's hot laps. I will usually "double dip" nasa weekends in TT3 and ST3 to give myself the best odds at winning tires.

Comment

Gridlife has been adding some events in range of me. NJMP and Mid Ohio.

Seems like my car would qualify for their street class:

STREET

STREET is intended for vehicles with minor bolt-­on modifications only. This is our enthusiast class and is intended for advanced HPDE drivers and vehicles that are daily driven street cars, or at least daily-driveable. This class is designed for naturally aspirated 3, 4, 5 and 6 cylinder vehicles, and forced induction 4 cylinder vehicles. V8 Powered cars are not allowed. Rotary (turbo or NA) vehicles are also allowed, if all other rules are followed. Electric cars may potentially be classified in street, based on accelerometer data traces compared to other competitors in class. Street cars must be registered/plated and drivers may be subjected to a “take your spouse for ice cream” impound.

Vehicles with inflation adjusted MSRPs greater than $75,000 (as of 2022 rules publishing at the end of 2021) are specifically banned.
                CHASSIS / AERO
                • All vehicles must retain stock chassis with no fabricated modifications of any kind.
                • Doors, fenders, quarter panels and roof must remain OEM material.
                • Bolt on alternate materials may be used for Hood, Trunk and Hard Tops.
                • Aftermarket aero is prohibited. Modifications to OEM bumpers to enhance airflow are permitted, but only partial removal of material, not addition.
                • Stock or factory optional aero is allowed if available (this includes aftermarket replica aero and EDM / JDM optional components ie: Replica SiR spoiler etc)
                • Non OEM Flat pan floors are prohibited.
                • Hood ventilation and ducting for the purpose of heat removal is permitted.
                • “Track Life” style fender cutouts rearward of the front tires are allowed.
                • Cars must retain OEM glass. Replacing factory glass with lexan/polycarbonate is prohibited, except in instances of aftermarket hard tops (eg. S2000, etc. ) if sold with lexan/polycarbonate as the only option.
                ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN
                • Dogboxes / sequential gearboxes prohibited unless OEM
                • E85 is permitted. No other alternative fuels are allowed.
                • Mixed manufacturer engine swaps are not permitted e.g., K swapped Miata.
                • Engine swaps with the same cylinder count, and from the same manufacturer are allowed.
                • Forced induction swaps into chassis that are originally naturally aspirated are prohibited. Any questions on engine swaps should be directed to Gridlife staff (abrin@grid.life and adam@grid.life).
                • Swaps with increased cylinder numbers are prohibited, e.g., V6 Accord motor into Civic chassis.
                • Hybrid Drivetrains are not permitted, unless OEM equipped.
                • Aftermarket conversion of N/A cars to forced induction is prohibited.
                • Turbocharger upgrades to factory turbocharged cars must be stock frame and remain in the stock location. Turbos are limited to a maximum flow of 41lbs/min. Specifically allowed are the Subaru S209 OEM turbo, Blouch 16g XT, HKS GTIII-RS. Additional OEM or “OEM-like” turbochargers may be approved by GRIDLIFE staff following review. Email abrin@grid.life for any questions.
                • Turbocharged cars are limited to a maximum boost pressure of 25psi. Drivers are expected to be able to prove compliance (ie. video, data logs, etc.).
                • Drivetrain changes are prohibited, i.e., FWD to AWD or AWD to RWD.
                • Nitrous is not allowed.
                SUSPENSION / TIRES
                • Vehicles must use a DOT approved tire with a minimum UTQG Rating of 200 or higher. Tires from other markets (EU, JP) are permitted as long as they match the UTQG Rating.
                • Tire Width: FWD: 285, RWD: 285, AWD: 255
                • Tires may only be downsized 10mm.
                • Suspension is limited to single adjustable unless OEM Equipped. Multiple adjustment dampers are allowed with all but one adjusting mechanism completely removed from function. Active suspension components are not permitted unless OEM.
                • Suspension pickup points must remain OEM.
                • The top of the tire may not protrude past the widest point of the wheel arch when viewed from above. Body lines may not be altered overfenders may be added if wheel openings do not change rough dimensions when viewed from the horizontal perspective when fenders are rolled.
                INTERIOR / MISC
                • Vehicles must be street driven vehicles with valid insurance and registration.
                • Vehicles must have headlights, tail lights and mirrors, all in working condition.
                • Roll­cages are not permitted to extend beyond the firewall.
                • Vehicles must retain OEM interior components e.g., dash, carpets, headliner, and all must be in factory positions. (interior may be trimmed or modified to accommodate safety components.). Accommodations for aftermarket racing seats for driver and passenger are allowed. All seats must be track worthy, and capable of safely securing an occupant.
                • Vehicles must have a working climate control system. AC components may be removed.
                • Lexan Glass is not permitted.
                • This class is not open to professionally licensed level drivers (PWC, IMSA, Trans-Am, NASCAR of any level, Formula Drift Pro-1, etc.) Amateur competition licenses do not count as professional.
                All classes:

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Inflation adjusted MSRP limit of $75k is probably going to disqualify you based on the quoted rule set

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post
                    Inflation adjusted MSRP limit of $75k is probably going to disqualify you based on the quoted rule set

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	181467

Shouldn't

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	181467

Shouldn't
                      Until next year

Comment

I would hope they update this rule to match inflation.

​​​​… strange statement to make on a racing class 🤔

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

i've never heard of fender vents / speed holes referred to as "track life style fender cutouts" until now

Comment

Gridlife has been adding some events in range of me. NJMP and Mid Ohio.

All classes:
                            https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...6WrYdujgPY/pub
                            Seems like the roof would disqualify you

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Seems like the roof would disqualify you
                              Seems like a lot of the JDM guys get by on body panels that were optional on higher spec materials, ala cf roof on the csl. I think I can get in under that.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Any new pics of the IR/M it seems like the old pics won’t pull up?

Comment

Working...
                                X