No announcement yet.

Obioban's 2005 IR/IR Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the n51/52 motors. Great power package for the weight and balance of those cars. Congrats!

MILV - modified intake lift valve is the mod ppl are doing. It definitely falls into “diminishing returns” category, but does add up once you’re at the end of the regular flow mods.

Take a look in here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1329840&page=3

awesome price Obioban. I’d have definitely picked it up for that price. Nicely optioned, nice color. No brainer!

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Oh cool! That's a pretty great spec. Mine is a no option car except for auto and iDrive (both things that my GF insisted on ). If we weren't so far apart, it would be interesting to see how the two compare weight wise.

I tried looking for the valvetronic thing and can't find it for some reason. tlow98 was who originally told me about it
      My brothers old 128i, speced the same as mine other than slick top, with non run flat tires was 3050 lbs.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

​ Back story:
        SLON has made a front strut tower brace that triangulates loads to the firewall (as BMW has done on newer cars). The result of this is an 18-20% (depending on other mods and chassis condition) torsional rigidity increase (as actually measured on a chassis twister). More torsional rigidity is only better-- better handling, better ride quality, better grip, better NHV. In terms of making your car better, it's right up there with reducing weight. Speaking of reducing weight, this is also 5.5 lbs lighter than stock, on the front end of the car (where it's hard to remove weight).

This is how it assembles, so the part pictures make sense. The portion behind the cabin air filter housing is structural epoxied to the firewall. The cabin air filter housing needs to be replaced to create the clearance for the brace to fit:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5139.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.2 KB ID:	230021

These parts are like nothing I have seen in the aftermarket space, or professionally (I'm a product design engineer, in an automotive adjacent space). I hesitate to say it, because it sounds absurd, but they feel like I imagine F1 parts would feel. Super light, super stiff, super precise.

They're also some of the best packaged parts I've received. Every significant part has it's own custom cut foam hole, so they can't damage each other. They'd have to come by a truly inept shipping company for any hard to come to them.

Everything is absurdly rigid, all the alu parts are pocketed and ribbed, for weight and structure, and the CF looks perfect. Oh, and the cork filled carbon firewall plug is just next level (more on that)

Pics:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4605.jpg Views:	3 Size:	204.1 KB ID:	230168Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4606.jpg Views:	2 Size:	290.1 KB ID:	230169Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4607.jpg Views:	2 Size:	298.8 KB ID:	230170Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4608.jpg Views:	2 Size:	101.4 KB ID:	230171Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4609.jpg Views:	2 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	230172Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4610.jpg Views:	2 Size:	283.0 KB ID:	230173Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4611.jpg Views:	2 Size:	286.8 KB ID:	230174Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4612.jpg Views:	2 Size:	404.4 KB ID:	230175Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4613.jpg Views:	2 Size:	401.1 KB ID:	230176​​

Click image for larger version  Name:	PNG image.png Views:	1 Size:	969.3 KB ID:	230022
        ^accurate mold, can still see the BMW stamp

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4615.jpg Views:	2 Size:	371.1 KB ID:	230178Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4616.jpg Views:	2 Size:	397.5 KB ID:	230179

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4614.jpg Views:	2 Size:	436.0 KB ID:	230180

This last part may be the most interesting of them all. The original version was pure carbon. A Space-X engineer, that's also a member on here (who I don't want to out-- he can self identify if he chooses), bought one of these of that version, and suggested it would be a more effective thermal barrier if it was sandwiched cork, as they do rockets. SLON tested that out, and the results were as below:

^stock vs carbon vs carbon/cork/carbon

So, that got integrated into the design (and the member who suggested it received the updated version).

Amusingly for me, that probably means I'll get a comfort upgrade out of this-- I have been running the (NLA) CSL cabin air filter housing for a decade now, and it's lighter but same material as stock-- so presumably it's just thinner, and a worse thermal barrier as a result.

So, yeah. Consider this the most gushing post I have ever written. As I said back when we had the SLON rear wall group buy, they're making the parts that I have wanted for this chassis for a decade+, that nobody was willing to do.

Hoping to have time to install it this weekend, so more to follow...

Not my car, but this is how it should look when done:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.png Views:	1 Size:	973.6 KB ID:	230023 Click image for larger version  Name:	3.png Views:	1 Size:	942.4 KB ID:	230024

No affiliation (though I've never heard anyone say anything bad about IND), but it appears IND has one in stock, if you want one and don't want to wait:
        https://ind-distribution.com/product...5727c149&_ss=r​​

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Looked like such a nice piece of work! So much want! Let us know how install goes this weekend.

Comment

Very Nice! Love it. I wonder if SLON can make the cabin air filter housing for those of us that do not want to use their strut bar.

Comment

Obioban

When you say “The cabin air filter housing needs to be replaced to create the clearance for the brace to fit”, does that mean SLON provides a modified air cabin filter box with this kit?

Comment

Originally posted by nyc951 View Post
                Obioban

When you say “The cabin air filter housing needs to be replaced to create the clearance for the brace to fit”, does that mean SLON provides a modified air cabin filter box with this kit?
                Correct.

​​​​​​…. Are the pics working?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Correct.

Still using the OE Cabin filter element?

Comment

Correct.

Pics are working - just wanted to confirm

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Still using the OE Cabin filter element?
                      Ha. I'll probably be selling it after this is installed.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Ha. I'll probably be selling it after this is installed.
                        No I meant the actual FILTER element

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

No I meant the actual FILTER element
                          Oops, read that too quickly.

Yes, this still uses the OE cabin filter element.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Oops, read that too quickly.

Yes, this still uses the OE cabin filter element.
                            Oh That's great! Thanks.

Now if Sloan are going to make the cabin filter housing using the same technique for people who do not want to go for their full strutbar kit.....

Comment

The carbon looks to be flat finish. Do they offer gloss finish if it is in fact flat?

Comment

Originally posted by BADCLOWN View Post
                                The carbon looks to be flat finish. Do they offer gloss finish if it is in fact flat?
                                It is, they do. I opted for flat.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                                2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                                X