Obioban's 2005 IR/IR Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmw m3 s50 View Post

Makes sense, I was concerned about the NVH being solid mounts. I feel as I am getting older I tend to tolerate less from the car as I did when I was younger.

Is there any other things you can recommend while being back there doing the job?
    Aftermarket parts? Not really.

If your bushings/ball joints are original, good time to refresh them. Even if they're low mileage, at this point they're probably getting aged out.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I took last week off from work, and spent 12 hours a day for the last 9 days running Ethernet/fiber/conduit/coax/sensor wire/speaker wire/power shade wire, and installing an ERV, in the house I'm building.

I'm feeling BEAT.... but it's pretty close to done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	06c5ffbd-7916-47b4-909d-f3481b3a7bee.jpg Views:	29 Size:	179.5 KB ID:	215856

Click image for larger version  Name:	de6b6db0-0716-4f3a-87d5-856c05b3495a.jpg Views:	30 Size:	130.2 KB ID:	215857

Click image for larger version  Name:	d95ea9f4-e523-4d24-b835-0aa2e2dcd22b.jpg Views:	29 Size:	149.8 KB ID:	215858

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

You are wise to do it now. Our house was built in 79-80, and I must have pulled a mile of ethernet along with a half mile of coax. I got good at using fishtape and patching drywall.

I no longer use the coax, and I am curious as to why you are installing it. The ERV looks good. You in a cold climate?

D-O
        Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
          You are wise to do it now. Our house was built in 79-80, and I must have pulled a mile of ethernet along with a half mile of coax. I got good at using fishtape and patching drywall.

I no longer use the coax, and I am curious as to why you are installing it. The ERV looks good. You in a cold climate?

D-O
          It's cold in the winter (below 0) and hot in the summer (above 100) here. We should benefit from it on both ends. Mostly, though, the house is going to be passive house levels of air tight-- so need it to have breathable air 🤣

COAX is for broadcast TV, in the event that the internet goes down for an extended period. By default, it really won't be used. But, for $50 for a nice attic antenna, and $30 of coax cable... seemed like a cost effective fallback.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I was replacing my Avin (because, being the high quality Chinese unit it is, it has decided that it won't turn on if it's a little chilly out) with an Xtrons, and was kind of surprised that the two units were seemingly different inside.

Fronts (Identical):

Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	220528

Rear (unrelated, everything in different locations):

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	220529

Also, the new unit has internal wireless carplay, instead of a dongle.

I'm sure it's pissing into the wind, but I selected this particular unit over Xtrons other offerings (or another Avin) because it supposedly uses automotive grade internals. We will see...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
              I was replacing my Avin (because, being the high quality Chinese unit it is, it has decided that it won't turn on if it's a little chilly out) with an Xtrons, and was kind of surprised that the two units were seemingly different inside.

Fronts (Identical):

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	220528

Rear (unrelated, everything in different locations):

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	220529

Also, the new unit has internal wireless carplay, instead of a dongle.

I'm sure it's pissing into the wind, but I selected this particular unit over Xtrons other offerings (or another Avin) because it supposedly uses automotive grade internals. We will see...
              Nice, Lets see how it turns out for you as my Blubus is starting to be annoying now.

Comment

Interesting. My Avin rear doesn’t look like either of those, it has the white xtrons connectors but different layout. Does/did your microphone work for taking calls while using CarPlay? Mine’s got an incredible amount of feedback
                ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

You didn't want to opt for the new Carphonics upgraded OEM nav with touch screen and Apple CarPlay?
                  2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
                    You didn't want to opt for the new Carphonics upgraded OEM nav with touch screen and Apple CarPlay?
                    I would if I could, but I can't.

A couple of years ago, before the carphonics solution existed, I replaced the factory wiring harness on my car with one I made. Doing so, and eliminating the redundant modules and mounting brackets, allowed me to save ~50 lbs without losing any functionality. But it also means that I can't use the stock nav display anymore.

If I had know the Carphonics solution was coming, I probably would not have gone down that road. But, these days... I can only use a head unit with a built in amp for the speakers.​

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Interesting that the Avin and Xtrons both have their logos cast into the heat sink. Hopefully this unit will be less quirky than they have been in the past. 🤞
                      Last edited by K-Dawg; 06-06-2023, 09:19 AM.
                      2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

​Installed

Up close and from face level. I swear I don't smoke, despite the dust making it look like I do...

​​

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	11 Size:	298.5 KB ID:	223548

Bought a car. Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse-- dealer trade in value ($3000).

M sport, rwd, manual trans, NA, HPS, 3100 lbs, no idrive. The last "real" BMW IMO.

AC doesn't work and the back window tint is garbage. Otherwise, it's in great shape.

I plan to replace the AC compressor this coming weekend (which a mechanic had previously diagnosed as the issue).

... I might try to junk yard dive a 3 stage DISA intake manifold.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	223548

Bought a car. Someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse-- dealer trade in value ($3000).

M sport, rwd, manual trans, NA, HPS, 3100 lbs. The last "real" BMW IMO.

AC doesn't work and the back window tint is garbage. Otherwise, it's in great shape.

I plan to replace the AC compressor this coming weekend (which a mechanic had previously diagnosed as the issue).

... I might try to junk yard dive a 3 stage DISA intake manifold.
                            Nice, they're fun little cars. Been having fun modding mine in a different way to the M3. Very different experience when you're modding for convenience vs performance.

Single hump or double hump? Mine has iDrive and have been running the bimmertech MMI for carplay/android auto. Works and integrates with the BMW stuff great.

Get yourself a 135i cluster. It's exactly the same as the 128i cluster, except it has an oil temp gauge. They're cheap on eBay too. Just make sure it's lower mileage than the one in your car to avoid the hassle of desoldering the EEPROM. I've got the chip programmer if you want to ship stuff to me, but might be easier to just buy and do it yourself.

Also, look for part outs in California. All 128i sold here were N51 cars, so they all came with the 3 stage manifold.

There's also some popular mod to the valvetronic variable lift system, but can't remember the name of it right now...
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Nice, they're fun little cars. Been having fun modding mine in a different way to the M3. Very different experience when you're modding for convenience vs performance.

Single hump or double hump? Mine has iDrive and have been running the bimmertech MMI for carplay/android auto. Works and integrates with the BMW stuff great.

Get yourself a 135i cluster. It's exactly the same as the 128i cluster, except it has an oil temp gauge. They're cheap on eBay too. Just make sure it's lower mileage than the one in your car to avoid the hassle of desoldering the EEPROM. I've got the chip programmer if you want to ship stuff to me, but might be easier to just buy and do it yourself.

Also, look for part outs in California. All 128i sold here were N51 cars, so they all came with the 3 stage manifold.

There's also some popular mod to the valvetronic variable lift system, but can't remember the name of it right now...
                              Single hump. The car is actually optioned exactly how I would have done myself other than having a sunroof.

I had a 335i cluster in my wife's e91 for just that reason!

Never heard of the valvetronic mod-- will look into that.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Single hump. The car is actually optioned exactly how I would have done myself other than having a sunroof.

I had a 335i cluster in my wife's e91 for just that reason!

Never heard of the valvetronic mod-- will look into that.
                                Oh cool! That's a pretty great spec. Mine is a no option car except for auto and iDrive (both things that my GF insisted on ). If we weren't so far apart, it would be interesting to see how the two compare weight wise.

I tried looking for the valvetronic thing and can't find it for some reason. tlow98 was who originally told me about it
                                Last edited by heinzboehmer; 06-28-2023, 11:20 AM.
                                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X