Obioban's 2005 IR/IR Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Sadly at this point all 3 of my dremels had let out the magic smoke, so I'm on hold till a new rotary tool arrives. This time a made in Germany Proxxon tool. Can't last a shorter life than the dremel brand dremels...
    Bruh, pick up a new main board for like $15 bucks on amazon.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

How do you like this? Is it a significant upgrade to the 3 and did you get the DSP option? I have the 3 now but BT and sound quality are not where I want them to be but I really like the OEM look.
      I’m not the person to ask about sound quality. My speakers are connected directly to the amp inside the Avin, and all the factory wiring harness/modules/mounting brackets have been weight saved. The remaining speakers in my car were chosen by weight, not sound quality.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Bruh, pick up a new main board for like $15 bucks on amazon.
        They’re in the trash and not coming out. It was time to move on to not junk.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Good progress recently (later than I hoped, but... big undertakings this winter)...

Leveled the scales:

Click image for larger version

Name:	E1947080-D9D3-45A1-8ADF-2300EC9ACBE9_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	507
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	100621

Installed the Fat Cats suspension, much primary colors:

Name:	9EFD4A1E-ED6A-4495-904D-0BD5F147AABF_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	472
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	100622

Installed the final tube of the brake ducting, and confirm it fits without issue in all positions:

Name:	1AC64FAD-8F61-436A-97C2-B3B67617EF08_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	863
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	100623

Name:	00959F01-E74D-457B-A26C-508E1AD5808C_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	886
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	100624

Name:	5048D0F3-B3BC-41B9-A834-A226F01D5893_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	882
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	100625

Confirmed I can fit a 275 Hoosier slick up front without rubbing on an et35 wheel (as that's about worst case):

Name:	DF6DF07F-3F4B-44CF-BBCD-790F86BDFA73_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	464
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	100626

Aligned and corner balanced the car:

Name:	08BD855D-1700-496A-8AA6-2420C6AB74C5_1_105_c.jpeg
Views:	490
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	100627

At this point I just need to finish a wiring harness I'm setting up, set the end links on the sways, and she's ready for the year

Attached Files

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Looking good, I like your brake caliper stickers!

Can you explain a bit more how you leveled your scales? Mainly, how did you shim to adjust the height and how did you set up the graduated cylinders?

Comment

Originally posted by S14 View Post
              Looking good, I like your brake caliper stickers!

Can you explain a bit more how you leveled your scales? Mainly, how did you shim to adjust the height and how did you set up the graduated cylinders?
              Ha. The stickers have double purpose-- hide the Porsche logo and tell me the caliper temperatures :P

I have two graduated cylinders, connected by a tube at the bottom with 1/2" rubber fish tank line. I put water with food coloring (to make it easier to see) in there, and fill them both ~3/4 full. I shim under till both cylinders read the same, at which point I know they're level. I try to figure out which scale is the highest, and then use all the others to compare to that (shimming the others up). Once everything is shimmed up, I zero the scales so they don't contribute to corner weights.

As shims, I use whatever the cheapest vinyl floor tiles I could find at Home Depot were (IIRC it was like $30 for 100 of them). They're ~1mm thick, so I can get reasonable leveling, and they're slippery-- so when I raise/lower the car, it doesn't get stuck high with the camber curve, and if I, say, adjust camber, I'm not fighting the friction of the tire on the scale-- the floor tiles just slide against each other.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Nice updates Ian!

Looking forward to hearing your take on the retro-fit, VS real GT kit

Comment

Originally posted by Exclusivs View Post
                  Nice updates Ian!

Looking forward to hearing your take on the retro-fit, VS real GT kit
                  I was driving on them last year. They're... 90% as good as the Brembo GT kit was. Better than stoptech or stock, and actually easier pad swaps than the brembos, but the pedal feedback isn't quite as good.

Also, they're a not insignificantly heavier setup.

But, FCP sells the wear items, sooo....

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

At this point I just need to finish a wiring harness I'm setting up, set the end links on the sways, and she's ready for the year
                    Slon wall didn't arrive in time for track season? Bummer, was looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Slon wall didn't arrive in time for track season? Bummer, was looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
                      Nope... been stuck in customs for a while. Not Slonik’s fault, but still sad.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I was driving on them last year. They're... 90% as good as the Brembo GT kit was. Better than stoptech or stock, and actually easier pad swaps than the brembos, but the pedal feedback isn't quite as good.

Also, they're a not insignificantly heavier setup.

But, FCP sells the wear items, sooo....
                        Solid feedback thanks. Any seat time on them yet? Thats where I'm anxious to know how they are

Comment

Originally posted by Exclusivs View Post

Solid feedback thanks. Any seat time on them yet? Thats where I'm anxious to know how they are
                          The brakes? Yes, I drove them all last year, street and track. That was the basis of the feedback above...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Your Brembos fit under a 17 inch wheel right? I think I remember you running 17s on the track.

I'd also be interested in details on the new garage. We just moved into our new build in November. We expanded the garage in depth and width, put an extra high ceiling in the 3rd bay plus extra concrete. 99% sure a 4 post will go in late this year.
                            RIP M3F
                            2002 M3 - 2002 325iT - 1994 Bronco

Comment

Originally posted by blazenXLT View Post
                              Your Brembos fit under a 17 inch wheel right? I think I remember you running 17s on the track.

I'd also be interested in details on the new garage. We just moved into our new build in November. We expanded the garage in depth and width, put an extra high ceiling in the 3rd bay plus extra concrete. 99% sure a 4 post will go in late this year.
                              The brembos fit under the specific 17 I run (not most 17s), as do the 996 calipers I’m now running. I have 17x9.5 et35s ordered that I’m REALLY hoping fit over the 996 brakes... I really dislike the et25 setup for track use.

I don’t really have any great garage ideas, beyond having it finally be large enough to not be annoyed. Open to suggestions!

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

The brembos fit under the specific 17 I run (not most 17s), as do the 996 calipers I’m now running. I have 17x9.5 et35s ordered that I’m REALLY hoping fit over the 996 brakes... I really dislike the et25 setup for track use.

I don’t really have any great garage ideas, beyond having it finally be large enough to not be annoyed. Open to suggestions!
                                Interesting - I run 17x9.5 et35 all the time and have been thinking of a BBK upgrade soon, but I hate to buy something and have to just hope that it fits. I thought PFC made a BBK for fitting in a 17 but bimmerworld shows it as not available. Haven't done any more research though...

On the garage I'd only offer the standard advice - you can't have too much space, power or light. On light I did ok in our build, but I do wish I'd added more outlets. I did run 220v to two places, so that should cover me for any future lifts, compressors, or EVs. And like I mentioned before, the space where I'd put a lift is 8 inches of 4000 psi reinforced concrete. I'll have to post up some pics in my journal thread.
                                RIP M3F
                                2002 M3 - 2002 325iT - 1994 Bronco

Comment

Working...
                                X