X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really nice work. Sonos is the bomb.
    Old, not obsolete.

Comment

​ Finally had a chance to get my car reassembled, with the rear wall installed. Hoping to be able to take her for a spin tonight!

Upholstry work is very much not my forte, but it's the trunk, which I've always looked at as the business end of the the car, that doesn't need to look immaculate.

​​

Stupidly, I didn't think to take a picture from the front, and now the child seat is installed... so I can't.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        I was replacing my Avin (because, being the high quality Chinese unit it is, it has decided that it won't turn on if it's a little chilly out) with an Xtrons, and was kind of surprised that the two units were seemingly different inside.

Fronts (Identical):

Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	220528

Rear (unrelated, everything in different locations):

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	220529

Also, the new unit has internal wireless carplay, instead of a dongle.

I'm sure it's pissing into the wind, but I selected this particular unit over Xtrons other offerings (or another Avin) because it supposedly uses automotive grade internals. We will see...
        Do you ever take phone calls using CarPlay? If so, can anyone hear you on the other end/does it sound like you’re in a helicopter? Not happy with my Avin/Heli setup
        ‘02 332iT / 6 | ‘70 Jaguar XJ6 electric conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Bry5on View Post

Do you ever take phone calls using CarPlay? If so, can anyone hear you on the other end/does it sound like you’re in a helicopter? Not happy with my Avin/Heli setup
          Ha, not if the car is in motion. I either stick an airpod in or stick my phone, on speakerphone, between the sun visor and roof.

That said, that's also what I do in the e60, e82, and did in the e46 back when it had stock bluetooth, sooo.... not much change.

I don't know if my standards have changed, or the way phones interact with bluetooth has changed, but I swear the factory bluetooth speakerphone was viable/fine from 2005 to ~2015, and it isn't anymore. Not sure what's up with that...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

​ Finally had a chance to get my car reassembled, with the rear wall installed. Hoping to be able to take her for a spin tonight!

Upholstry work is very much not my forte, but it's the trunk, which I've always looked at as the business end of the the car, that doesn't need to look immaculate.

​​

Stupidly, I didn't think to take a picture from the front, and now the child seat is installed... so I can't.
            Not sure what people are talking about when they say the rear plate isn't as noticeable as the front brace-- to me, it's just as impactful to the driving experience, in all the same ways! It also has an unexpected side benefit, that I'm getting notably less sound transmitted from the trunk to the cabin. That may sound like stating the obvious, since I literally put a wall between them, but enough sound deadening was removed to install it that I expected it to go the other way. Related: I'm pretty sure this is actually a net weight removing mod, once you factor in the sound deadening that must be removed to install it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Nice! Glad you like the rear wall. I think the main difference between the front and rear braces is that the front one has a pretty big impact on steering feel, while the rear one does not. Front one is noticeable even just crawling around through a parking lot, but you have to be pushing the car a little harder than that to really feel the benefits of the rear one.

That being said, I have not driven a car with both installed, so that's an extra variable to consider.

Funny you say that you're getting less noise in the cabin after the brace. I agree that it quiets down noise coming in from the trunk, but this brace is what finally pushed me to get rid of my poly diff bushings. Before it, the whine was just barely on the edge of being tolerable. After, the whine was significantly louder and quickly became too much. Guess the brace was acting like a speaker and amplifying the diff whine.

Also, I haven't had anyone complain about call quality in either the E82 or the E46. Both setups use the factory mics though (Bimmer Tech MMI in the E82 and BlueBus in the E46).
              Last edited by heinzboehmer; 12-13-2023, 10:42 AM.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Wow!! Still good to see this build going from the old M3F days.
                2005 E46 ///M3 Interlagos Blue/Cinnamon

BBS - Recaro - JRZ - PFC - Supersprint - Haimus - Vorshlag - RKP - DMG - Diffsonline - Autosolutions - ​Koyo - Mile End Composites - YFCM - GC

https://www.instagram.com/justanotham4/

Comment

Ian's latest updates to his car, specifically the SLONT plate and the strut brace are amazing product, sharing some views and feedback:

Conclusion: both the front and rear end upgrades make a HUGE difference. Car feels much more on its toes, the time of "setting up" the suspension to make a turn is greatly decreased, front end feels excited and ready to turn in, and significant improvement in decrease in road noise.

Background: I spent 3 hours driving my M3 down to PA and then spent 30 minutes driving Ian's back. Our cars are virtually identical in setup with the exception of the Slon strut brace and trunk plate (suspension settings and mods in particular are virtually the same, done by the same two people). I can't think of a better back to back comparison.​

Comment

Originally posted by Surge709 View Post
                    Ian's latest updates to his car, specifically the SLONT plate and the strut brace are amazing product, sharing some views and feedback:

Conclusion: both the front and rear end upgrades make a HUGE difference. Car feels much more on its toes, the time of "setting up" the suspension to make a turn is greatly decreased, front end feels excited and ready to turn in, and significant improvement in decrease in road noise.

Background: I spent 3 hours driving my M3 down to PA and then spent 30 minutes driving Ian's back. Our cars are virtually identical in setup with the exception of the Slon strut brace and trunk plate (suspension settings and mods in particular are virtually the same, done by the same two people). I can't think of a better back to back comparison.​

Just for some context here-- Sergei's car is set up as identically as you can imagine to my car, other than the Slon parts (which will likely be going in shortly, after driving my car with them). He has been working on my cars, and I have been working on his cars, for almost 20 years.

He drove 3 hours to where I was, and then almost immediately drove my car. The most back to back possible back to back comparison.

He does point out something I think I failed to fully put into works in my original post. With a stock car, you kind of turn in, wait for the car to take a set, and then drive the car through the corner. I previously had assumed that waiting for the car to take a set was the tires rolling over. With the Slon parts, that taking a set period is significantly reduced-- which makes me think what I was actually feeling was the chassis loading up/flexing as far as it was going to flex for the load being applied by the corner.​

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Projecte46m3 View Post
                      Wow!! Still good to see this build going from the old M3F days.
                      I'm sad I lost 15 years on M3F build thread

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Just bought a used F8X driveshaft. Going to follow Altaran's lead and put e46 M flanges on it, for a hopefully OE qualify CF driveshaft on the cheap.

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.png Views:	0 Size:	1,022.9 KB ID:	248784

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l16002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	248785

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l16001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	248783

Name:	s-l16003.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	248787
                        Attached Files

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Just bought a used F8X driveshaft. Going to follow Altaran's lead and put e46 M flanges on it, for a hopefully OE qualify CF driveshaft on the cheap.
                          When I saw what Altaran did I actually thought of you as I figured six seconds would elapse between you seeing it and you buying one. lol

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I'm very tempted to do the same, just a bit scared of the increased labor required to get the driveshaft on and off. Looking forward to the reviews.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

When I saw what Altaran did I actually thought of you as I figured six seconds would elapse between you seeing it and you buying one. lol
                              I don't know how to feel about being so predicable.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.png Views:	0 Size:	1,022.9 KB ID:	248784

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l16002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.2 KB ID:	248785

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l16001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	248783

Name:	s-l16003.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	248787
                                Yes! Looking forward to your feedback.

Comment

Working...
                                X