No announcement yet.

Robs E46M Rosso Corsa Street Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob crap that sucks about the damage but I must say, this is the best possible outcome. So glad the car in front of you didn't kick it up and into your windshield.

I was towing my racecar (with an F350 dually) up to Summit Point once when a reinforced brake light from a dump truck fell off the overpass I was driving under - it likely was kicked up by a car driving over the bridge. I was cruising at ~70mph but in heavy traffic and that thing came through my windshield, took a chunk out of the dashboard directly in front of me, ricocheted off my steering wheel (about a 1/2” from where my left hand was), up to the A-pillar (no airbag, bent the metal behind the plastic cover), flew to the left of my head to the B-pillar, over my head and took a chunk of headliner just above my head, down to the front passenger seat, tore a hole in it on its way to getting lodged in the footwell / passenger side kick panel. It punched a 6" diameter hole dead level with the top of the steering wheel and all those glass shards went into my eyes and into my lungs (I must've gasped when it impacted...) and I was still doing 70mph in the left lane on the 4-lane wide interstate (on the northbound side, 8 total).

Incredibly lucky that the car in front of you didn't kick it up. Glad to hear you're alright!
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
      Incredibly lucky that the car in front of you didn't kick it up. Glad to hear you're alright!
      Agreed!! Could have been a lot worse but all worked out in the end.

Comment

Not much driving now that its winter and NYS is dumping salt all over the roads. No big projects planned this winter just a bunch of small ones. Checked off a couple today:
        • Check Cam wear and valve tolerances. Everything looking good!
        • Install new RE braces. Its too bad these are under the car where no one can see them:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	52601336098_f6328afe71_b.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	198599

Name:	52601336088_c78f49a34f_b.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	198600
        Next on the winter list:
        • New door seals install
        • Auto dim side mirror glass
        • Bavsound speakers

Comment

Very nice, sir. Is there a benefit to the RE pieces other than sex appeal?

D-O
          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

I'll be following the auto dim mirror mod. I might have a lead on a used set and might be trying it out on mine as well. It's a nice modern feature with all these super bright lights that seem to be the norm these day. Found myself having to lean to one side sometimes just so I'm not being blinded at night. Even in my old pickup (which also does not have it).

Seems like simple wiring which I'm comfortable with. Im in the understanding you tap into the wireing for the rear view mirror? I would also imagine you would have to splice a E90 connector in place of the original one for the mirrors?

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
              Very nice, sir. Is there a benefit to the RE pieces other than sex appeal?D-O
              Yeah mostly undercarriage sex ap​peal 🤣. Also hopefully more corrosion resitance and it is nice to just undue one side of the Y brace when you need to drop the exhaust.

Originally posted by Lee_Enfield View Post
              I'll be following the auto dim mirror mod. I might have a lead on a used set and might be trying it out on mine as well. It's a nice modern feature with all these super bright lights that seem to be the norm these day. Found myself having to lean to one side sometimes just so I'm not being blinded at night. Even in my old pickup (which also does not have it).

Seems like simple wiring which I'm comfortable with. Im in the understanding you tap into the wireing for the rear view mirror? I would also imagine you would have to splice a E90 connector in place of the original one for the mirrors?
              Yeah I'm assuming the only challenge is going to be running a signal wire from the rearview mirror. I found a mint set of glass on eBay and also picked up a mirror wiring harness. Now just need to get the track car out of the way and start taking it apart!

Comment

Couple of pics from the ///M Car show at Classic Car Club Manhattan last weekend, great event!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0091.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.5 KB ID:	215672

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	215673

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0081.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.9 KB ID:	215674

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.3 KB ID:	215675

Name:	DSC_0069.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	215677
                Real CSL, first one I've seen in the states

Name:	DSC_0055.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	215678

Name:	DSC_0024.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	215679
                Last edited by robgill; 04-29-2023, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post
                  Couple of pics from the ///M Car show at Classic Car Club Manhattan last weekend, great event!

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0091.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.5 KB ID:	215672

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0009.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	215673

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0081.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.9 KB ID:	215674

Click image for larger version Name:	DSC_0032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.3 KB ID:	215675

Name:	DSC_0069.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	215677
                  Real CSL, first one I've seen in the states

Name:	DSC_0055.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	215678

Name:	DSC_0024.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	215679
                  Beautiful

Comment

That CSL have PA plates?

Car is looking good man, hope to see you at the meet in NJ.
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
                      That CSL have PA plates?

Car is looking good man, hope to see you at the meet in NJ.
                      Yeah believe they were PA dealer plates. Lot going on with that car... full respray, right hand conversion?? Still pretty cool. I'll be at E46M.East!

Comment

Such an awesome build-journal. Very inspirational. Nice work sir.
                        2003.5 BMW M3 Carbon Schwarz Metallic/Cinnamon 6 Speed – HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | AA Headers | AA Section 1 | SS Resonated Section 2 | SS Race Section 3 | TMS V2 CSL Airbox | TMS Street Plates | Ohlin’s R&T Coilovers | Ground Control Front and Rear Sways | Ground Control Adjustable Camber Arms | DMG Autosport Pro46R | FreakyParts BBK Front | Porsche 996 Conversion Rear | CMP Stage 1 + 1.5 Reinforcement Plates | CMP Subframe Bushings | CMP RTAB’s | SGT CSL Bumper | SGT CSL Trunk | Dr VANOS

Comment

Not much driving now that its winter and NYS is dumping salt all over the roads. No big projects planned this winter just a bunch of small ones. Checked off a couple today:
                          • Check Cam wear and valve tolerances. Everything looking good!
                          • Install new RE braces. Its too bad these are under the car where no one can see them:

Name:	52601336098_f6328afe71_b.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	198599

Name:	52601336088_c78f49a34f_b.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	198600
                          Next on the winter list:
                          • New door seals install
                          • Auto dim side mirror glass
                          • Bavsound speakers
                          If I hadn't recently removed and repainted my brackets, I'd be all over these, too. They've been on my future purchase list for a bit now...one day!

Car looks amazing, great work!

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
                          2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
                          My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

Hey best I can do is share my experiences with my own cars. My street-able track car is a similar engine build (airbox, SS V1s) but a bigger cam (288/280) and forged lighter pistons. Originally I tried the CSL tune and was pretty disappointed with it. The street drivability sucked with constant low speed hesitation and stalling. Eventually landed on a custom Alpha-N dyno tune from RK Tunes that was much better on the street and screams on the track. The torque peaks around 5k which works great on track where you are generally at 5k - 8k RPM.

When I got this car back together my plan was to go the same route; custom dyno tune. It happened that my DME was already running an Evolve Alpha-N tune loaded from previous owner. At first that was annoying because it locked my DME and there was some basic things I couldn't do on my own. This i why I'm not a fan of "canned tunes". But as I started to drive the car more I Immediately could tell a difference in the lower RPM street driving. Its a lot more zippy in 2nd-3rd gear at 2k-3k as well as pulling when in 5th and 6th gear highway driving. Regardless of the power it is making its a lot more fun to drive, just all around a better street experience. So I decided to stick with Evolve and they updated the tune for my mods, and very happy with the result . I'm still going to get it on the dyno at RK Tunes to check AFRs and see what power its making and compare curves to my track car.

This is my track car curve for reference:

Click image for larger version  Name:	48484725912_766c3d266c_b.jpg Views:	729 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	82315
                            Hey I was wondering where exactly you did this dyno run? I'm trying to dyno my car but it's almost impossible to find a shop in the tri-state that measures with SAE J1349​ as the CF

Comment

Originally posted by s54brendan View Post

Hey I was wondering where exactly you did this dyno run? I'm trying to dyno my car but it's almost impossible to find a shop in the tri-state that measures with SAE J1349​ as the CF
                              Hey! I've done all my dyno runs and tuning with RKTunes on Long Island 👍. I think that run may have been at his old shop.

Comment

Another awesome meetup for E46M East!!

Comment

Working...
                                X