S54 Engine Build Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robgill View Post
    Nice write up, great to this type of content back into the forum. We lost a lot of engine build threads when m3forum disappeared.

I had a very similar experience with my first S54 build. Lang was an awesome resource for me as well. I wouldn't stress too much about your leakdown #'s, they should improve over time. Also what matters is the power you're making the amount of oil it burns. Looks like your motor is doing well on both of those so just go drive it!
    Good to know thanks for that feedback.

Comment

Went for a 40mile drive today. Everything went fine. Good oil pressure no overheating, no strange noises no smoke. loud as hell!!!! Good power in the power band and i can easilly feel the extra torque.

Got home and did find a fairly significant oil leak on the intake side, im hoping its a crush washer issue or something near the filter housing. Ill investigate soon.

Comment

Originally posted by F1Dryvr View Post
        Went for a 40mile drive today. Everything went fine. Good oil pressure no overheating, no strange noises no smoke. loud as hell!!!! Good power in the power band and i can easilly feel the extra torque.

Got home and did find a fairly significant oil leak on the intake side, im hoping its a crush washer issue or something near the filter housing. Ill investigate soon.
        Check the top timing chain bolt behind the thermostat housing. Mine has come undone a couple times.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Yep could be that was a new bolt and crush washer.

Comment

Nice!
            17 iO1 i3
            16 F22 M235i
            08 E93 M3
            04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

Great write up! I love your attention to detail. If I ever end up rebuilding my engine again, I’ll be going back to reference your thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              2004 M3 Coupe - Imola/Black | AA Supercharged (432 whp / 275 ft/lbs) | ARP Head Studs | ACL | Besian | Mishimoto CC | AA Headers w/ 100 Cell Race Cats | SS Section 2 | OEM Section 3 | TCK DA 400/500 | TMS Rear Camber Arms | Apex Arc-8 18x9 / 18x10 | 996 Brembo (In-Progress)

Comment

So far shes doing ok. Have about 60 miles without major issue. Definitely feels powerful and runs smooth. It does have a significant oil leak i believe from the oil filter housing. Ill check into that soon. Im almost certain its not from any place bad like the head or oil pan or anything like that. Changed out the break in oil to Liquimoly 10w60 synthetic. Rechecked leakdown on cylinder 3 its still at 8%. Seems like thats what its going to be....it blows out the oil cap too so i guess ive got a ring sealing problem on that cylinder. Any thoughts about what to do about this if anything??

Comment

Any update on the oil leak and ring seal issue? I’m planning a similar build soon so your journal is a great resource/research material.

Comment

Hi, yeah as far as i can tell the oil filter housing was the source. Its nearly impossible to tell for certain before removing the ofh and then oil is everywhere. I did use a gasket there that was sitting in my garage for a few years. I guess it must have hardened from sitting. I put a brand new one in and it seems to have resolved that leak.

Another leak presented itself off the back. Seems between the head and block but its of course in an impossible place to get to. Luckily its very slight and since i dont drive it but on track it should be manageable. I plan to do cams in the next year so ill pull the head and see whats going on then.

As far as the leak down numbers i havent repeated in a while but i can report that i took it to sebring in january and it ran flawlessly. Apart from very worriesome white smoking in the morning warmup, which completeoy disappeared omce warmed up it ran perfect all day. Power felt markedly improved, smooth acceleration, and sounded great. No issues with temps, and oil pressure was fine.

Im going again in april and ill rechceck compression and leak down during my prep and see where im at then.

Comment

Working...
                    X