No announcement yet.

2002 Steel Grey 6spd coupe Daily/Restoration project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some more maintenance. I think I mentioned it earlier, but while doing headers/CPV, I notice the Exhaust cam sensor was leaking. I decided to just replace both sensors (intake/exh).

Here's the leak (only exh side)

Click image for larger version

Name:	CPS (0).jpg
Views:	498
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	141620

New OES(upplier) part from FCPeuro. Newer one is now gray and larger. Make sure to buy the o-ring! The intake comes with new o-ring, but not exh!

Name:	CPS (1).JPG
Views:	487
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	141619

Name:	CPS (8).JPG
Views:	470
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	141621

You can see the BMW logo ground off, it's a genuine part for half cost. Another pic of new sensors:

Name:	CPS (4).JPG
Views:	477
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	141622

Exhaust is easy to change, just need a 5mm hex bit/key. Intake, however, is a PITA. Not only do you have to remove the manifold, but technically, you're supposed to remove the air and even fuel rail as the plug and wire for the sensor is hiding behind. I took a short cut that I'll explain.

Name:	CPS (2).JPG
Views:	468
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	141618

There's a little plastic "cage" that you have to get out of the way

Name:	CPS (3).JPG
Views:	500
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	141617

Now, you can get your 5mm hex bit back there, a wobble helps.

Name:	CPS (7).JPG
Views:	467
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	141623

Since it's easy to do (2 x 10mm bolts), I removed the air rail for more access

Name:	CPS (5).JPG
Views:	467
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	141624

Here, you can see the sensor's harness snug as a bug behind the fuel rail. So instead of removing the fuel rail and dealing with all those bitch clips, I just cut the harness so I could pull it out. Then, after installing new intake sensor, I plugged the harness in, and just stuffed the extra wire behind the fuel rail.

Name:	CPS (6).JPG
Views:	462
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	141625

Also, even though I did a quick cleanout of the ICV, since the airbox was off, I wanted to do a better job. I got some new hose clamps as the oetikers are one-time-use, and I pulled the hoses of and cleaned everything thoroughly.

Name:	ICV3.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	141626
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Ok, last bit of wet sanding, I promise...

All that remained was the very top pillar "rail" of the passenger QP (respray)

Not the worst finish, but pretty rough where it meets the trim, as I assume the shop did not remove trim for the paint job. Example:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (0).JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	144831

I took it pretty easy, just using 2500 grit, putting some more pressure where the trim is as that did need the most flattening.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (2).JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.7 KB ID:	144830
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (1).JPG Views:	0 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	144829 Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (4).JPG Views:	0 Size:	87.1 KB ID:	144828

Alright, all done sanding. I took it easy on the edge near glass as it's a sharp angle. I really wasn't looking to take the OP down too much here, just trying to match it to factory as much as possible since this is the last of the respray.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (5).JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	144832

Time to buff

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (7).JPG Views:	0 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	144834

Had to do some by hand, right where the trim is

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (8).JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.9 KB ID:	144833
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (10).JPG Views:	0 Size:	104.8 KB ID:	144837

All done!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (12).JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.6 KB ID:	144835
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (14).JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.7 KB ID:	144836

Still a little sloppy closer to the trim, but I didn't want to burn through the clear, so this is the best I could do.

Almost exact orange peel as factory, comparing to other panels:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (16).JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.2 KB ID:	144840

This area was pretty rough, but now basically factory looking

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (17).JPG Views:	0 Size:	41.1 KB ID:	144838

Happy to be done, though it is kind of fun

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pillar (19).JPG Views:	0 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	144839

Very proud of the restoration I've done to the exterior of this car. Pictured below is a recent pic, so no more body work. Hard, almost impossible, to tell it's not original (only hood/fender are factory):

Click image for larger version  Name:	lunchshot204.JPG Views:	0 Size:	175.8 KB ID:	144843
      Last edited by Tbonem3; 12-20-2021, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Figure now's a fine time to share some recent pics. I didn't feel the car was quite there yet until recently. It's still just a stock looking car with rashed 18s.

Name:	lunchshot206.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	144890 Click image for larger version

Name:	lunchshot110.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	144892

Name:	lunchshot224.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	144888

Name:	20211106_223708.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	144887 Click image for larger version

Name:	lunchshot112.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	144891 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211103_085843.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	144889

Comment

You should be proud of the work done to bring this car to the state it is now. Looks fantastic, Tbone. Exceptional work.
          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

A couple of little things...

The front roundel is in surprising great shape, except for a spot at 7:30 that's badly worn. Can't cheap out now that the car is basically finished exterior-wise, so I ordered a new one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hoodroundel04.JPG Views:	0 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	145179

Popped it off, and what do you know, more dirt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hoodroundel05.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	145178

Cleaned

Click image for larger version  Name:	hoodroundel06.JPG Views:	0 Size:	35.4 KB ID:	145177

New emblem and grommets

Click image for larger version  Name:	hoodroundel07.JPG Views:	0 Size:	22.8 KB ID:	145176

Fresh

Click image for larger version  Name:	hoodroundel12.JPG Views:	0 Size:	40.1 KB ID:	145181
              Click image for larger version  Name:	hoodroundel13.JPG Views:	0 Size:	43.2 KB ID:	145180

One of the xenon plug boots is missing, which seems to be a common issue. I think it's usually this left one, I think it's looser. Anyway, I happened to find a replacement while browsing realOEM, but I had to figure out how to replace it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	xenonboot1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	91.9 KB ID:	145182

I remembered another forum member saying that all our plugs can be disassembled (pin out?) so I fiddled with the plug and a small flat driver. Didn't take long, and I had it all apart:

Click image for larger version  Name:	xenonboot3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	145183
              Click image for larger version  Name:	xenonboot4.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	145184 Click image for larger version  Name:	xenonboot5.JPG Views:	0 Size:	117.1 KB ID:	145186

et voila

Click image for larger version  Name:	xenonboot6.JPG Views:	0 Size:	102.3 KB ID:	145185

Comment

I always thought it was weird only one of those plugs for the xenon ballast had a boot. Thanks for posting the part number too.
                Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Car looks fantastic. Thanks for posting so many before / after photos, too!

Comment

You're welcome guys, Merry Christmas!

Originally posted by Will View Post
                    Car looks fantastic.
                    Thanks!

Comment

I am 99% sure pre LCi cars only came with one boot. My car, and literally every other car I’ve seen only had one. I did the same as you and added the other.
                      Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Weird

Comment

Speechless on the resto work. Your hard work can definitely be seen. Has your wife's uncle seen the car recently?

Comment

Thank you! Ya he just keeps quiet lol

Comment

Time to address the sagging/dented bumper and throw on my scorza muffler!

Boat anchor down - also take note of the dent or warping of the bumper up top

Click image for larger version  Name:	rearbumper01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	159.9 KB ID:	151239

I've never removed a rear cover before, never had to. Surprisingly easy. A few screws/rivets at the back fender liner and a couple of "screws" in the trunk under the tail lights.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rearbumper03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.6 KB ID:	151237

And it slides off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rearbumper05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	137.0 KB ID:	151238

It looks like the plastic just collapsed here. I'm not sure why, but I will try to shim it (the kevlar carrier slides right under so I can shim in between kevlar and the plastic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rearbumper06.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.2 KB ID:	151240

Bumper back on, Slipped some dense rubber sheet in between kevlar and bumper cover - it evened out well! & Scorza on!

Click image for larger version  Name:	rearbumperscorza01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.3 KB ID:	151242

Love this muffler. Rarely see any posts about them or being for sale at all anymore. I had the SGT version on for a bit (on my other car), but it didn't quite sound as good. Not quite as loud or throaty. Less of that wail this thing makes. I'm really looking forward to how it sounds on this car with Fabspeeds' 55mm outlets. I always thought it sounded better with my 55mm euro headers or my friend's 55mm SSv2s than it did on my 63.5mm v1s.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rearbumperscorza05.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.4 KB ID:	151241

Diffuser back on, everything done now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rearbumperscorza11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	151243 Click image for larger version  Name:	stahlrear1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	191.1 KB ID:	151245

A little video I took while my friend was driving it. so fuckin' güt:

Little thing: I noticed coolant was coming out the little expansion line. The o-ring was a new OEM Rein part, but we know those aren't the best. I didn't expect it to leak this bad so quickly. WOLFN8TR to the rescue with a new one

Click image for larger version  Name:	steelexporing1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	151244

Luckily, the neck of the line wasn't damaged - it was all the coolant crusted up. Drained some coolant.

Click image for larger version  Name:	steelexporing2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	151247

Getting the o-ring out is easy enough with a pick, but putting the new one is was a bear actually. I had to remove entire hose end to catch the new o-ring if I inserted it too far.

Name:	image_31734.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	151246
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	steelexporing5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	151248

Comment

Sounds really good that Scorza

Comment

Working...
                                X