2002 Steel Grey 6spd coupe Daily/Restoration project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002 Steel Grey 6spd coupe Daily/Restoration project

I've owned my 04 silver grey since 2009, so I already had it when I met my wife in 2013. What a coincidence when I met her uncle in 2014 and saw that he had a 2002 Steel grey 6spd coupe! He's not a car guy, but it was THE car to own back in the 2000s. He was into it back when he bought it in 2005, but his interest waned. I couldn't have much conversation with him about it, but it was still cool to have another in the family. I also thought, maybe, it'd be mine one day

My wife jokes that I married her so that I could get to the steel grey

Well, that day has come! He decided he needed a 4 door or suv for his family of four, so he told my wife at one of our kids' playdates, that it's mine if I give him $10k. He's aware that these cars are sought after, esp 6spds, but also knows that the car has been neglected (outside of reg maintenance). The other plan was for me to fix it up (mostly cleaning/refurb) and sell it for him, splitting the profit above $10k, but I told him I flat out just wanted it.

02/20/2002 Steel Grey stahl-grau met 400, black interior

2 owners, no accidents, 123k, 6 speed, fully loaded

Came in NJ and leased 2002-2005, then the uncle bought it.

Steel grey is actually my favorite color of this era, so I'm stoked! And for it to be 6spd with only 2 owners/123k, what luck!

That doesn't mean there aren't issues Luckily, he always took it to a BMW indy in the SFV, so the neglect is more superficial/exterior/interior. Zero mods besides an aftermarket sound system (retaining factory HU). Which isn't a big deal since I was going to install my own anyway.

Immediately, I see bumpers hanging, trim rotted, paint neglected (but not bad, no oxidation besides roof rails), tires are junk, rims rashed, belly pan missing so dirty engine bottom, dirty interior, peeling pillars & tint, etc..

My kind of project! I love fixing things, making them beautiful again, and no other car is as satisfying to me as these.

I've driven some other cars, I have a 128i 6spd that I've been dailying for a year, but nothing made me happy. I think the best way to put it is that I was only happy when driving my silvergrey e46 m, but it has lots of miles and I've made it a little too nice for much driving.

This steel grey ticks all the boxes: manual; I get to drive an e46 m3; it's a project right up my alley (cleaning/detailing/fixing/maint); low entry cost; one of my favorite paint colors ever!

Alright, let's get a sense of this thing's condition:

Pass window won't move

Bumper barely hanging on

All of the emblems/badges are toast. All of the rubber trims, save the rear windshield, trunk lock, door handles, are toast. Cowl is done. Corner and side lights are faded/condensation

Windshield is fine, just the trim needs replacing. Sunroof trim is salvageable. Front door trims are in ok shape, but the one-time-use imbedded metal tang is worn out and they're popping up (common).

Interior is really dirty, but somehow the trims aren't bubbling much at all (only door handles and shifter trim). leather is ok, but driver seat is worn/torn at the outside bolster (common)

Found a set of floor mats though hehe

Yeaaaahhhhhh

Gross

Obligatory codes, ofc. Easily fixable. I think I even have my original, working exh cam sensor from my silvergrey. The misfire is the spark plug. OP replaced 5 plugs and all six coils (OE) last year. He couldn't do cly 5 at the time due to old coil boot falling apart in spark plug hole preventing socket from getting a hold. I even offered to help him, but he didn't take me up on it, so I'll take care of that soon and document it.

First order of business was getting it home. He said it had a flat tire.

I'd call it a blow out

Brought my 17" 7" wide et47 128i wheel. I was a little worried, but it just fit and not too close to strut.

Let's go home! A pleasant surprise, oil and water cooling effectively (it was a warm day and a 45 min drive home)

Made it home!

Washed it, but will decontaminate and correct the paint later. Priority is dressing the trims to be saved, getting tires, fixing misfire/cam sensor, inspecting vanos/addressing vanos.

More to follow!
    Last edited by Tbonem3; 02-23-2021, 11:05 AM.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

My goal/inspiration:

OE class. I will do some mods, mostly to chassis/suspension, but the goal is mainly to turn the clock back...

Comment

First.

Congrats bro! Steel Gray is one my favorites on this car.

Will you be turning this into more of a track focused build?

Edit: My question has been answered lol
      2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
      2005 BMW ///M3
      Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
      2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
      2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
      2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

awesome! I look forward to seeing how you bring this car back to life.
        Instagram: @_Frank_Stone_

Comment

Thanks man. You know, it's hard to decide. My silvergrey is mk60, has the mods, but I don't think I could put it on the track. Maybe I shouldn't have wasted money on making it nice (zero rock chips, etc), but I didn't expect to own a second one at the time.

The steel grey is mk20, but it's a better candidate as far as condition and my attachment to it.

To be perfectly honest, I don't have the time/money to go to the track as much as I would want to anyway (I used to go the track [motox] every week or twice a week for half my life - I'm an all or nothing type of person), so I'd only do an event here or there, in which case even a bone stock mk20 car will suffice.

If I can get the steelgrey as nice as my silvergrey, then I could see moving some mods to the steelgrey, and turning the silvergrey into a dual duty perhaps.

1st world problems.

-

Thanks Frank

Comment

Subbed. Great pick up. I love these DIY refurbish projects. It is so satisfying bringing life back to a car. SG is also a beautiful and super rare color, IIRC it was only offered in 01-02. This car is gonna be looking like new soon !
            2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
            2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Excited for this! Interested to see your build philosophy for this one as more of a daily car and how it differs from the silver grey.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
                Subbed. Great pick up. I love these DIY refurbish projects. It is so satisfying bringing life back to a car. SG is also a beautiful and super rare color, IIRC it was only offered in 01-02. This car is gonna be looking like new soon !
                Yes, only 01-03 for the M3, though I think 2000 maybe even 1999 for e46 non M 323s. Beautiful color, and even though it's similar to silvergrey, they're different enough. Also, I love metallic paint, especially on this car, just suits it imo. Thanks!

Originally posted by Str8f4c3 View Post
                Excited for this! Interested to see your build philosophy for this one as more of a daily car and how it differs from the silver grey.
                Ya it'll be interesting. I envisage that it'll be more about saving money, not preventatively replacing things so much, more cleaning/refurbing. No mods for a while besides suspension/chassis, and not big mods at that.

One big difference is tires, I've ordered my favorite "cheap" tire in General Gmax RS 225/255 where as it's always been Michelin for the silvergrey. Oh and oil! Silvergrey still gets Castrol, but I got LiquiMoly waiting for steelgrey lol.

Silvergrey got $60 RE trans bushings, this steelgrey will get $10 E21 trans bushings - just another example.
                Last edited by Tbonem3; 02-24-2021, 09:49 AM.

Comment

What kind of products are you going to use to attack that paint? the clear coat seems like it is in good shape and not peeling. It should look great after some machine polishing. window moldings, windshield cowl, headlight lenses etc... man talk about fun project !
                  2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Yes, this type of refreshing is my favorite. I've been using different chemicals the last 2 years, but I'm now happy with and plan to use:

Griot's BOSS Fast Correcting cream on 5.5" LC CSS orange pad (medium cutting density) I have MF pads, but don't think I'll need them, maybe the 3" in certain spots where there's some etching and deeper scratches. I also have the medium BOSS "correcting cream" that I will probably use on the panels that don't need much cut like the trunk and doors.

Griot's BOSS Polishing cream on 5.5" LC CSS mint green pad (medium polishing density) I have the firmer white pads, but shouldn't need them.

For finishing, I'm really liking my current 1 - 2 of synthetic plus "ceramic" aka sio2 - I have turtle wax seal & shine, Mother's CMX - I like both. Then I top with pure carnauba (mother's, not cleaner version) the next day.

Everyone loves to tell me to PPF or ceramic coat, but I WANT to work on the paint often. I don't want to spend a bunch, and not touch the car for 2+ years, that's not my jam.
                    Last edited by Tbonem3; 02-22-2021, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Nice pick up. Love e46 m3 restorations.

Comment

Tyler, you mad man you! Congratulations on the new car.
                        E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
                        Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
                        Melbourne Red e93m3

Comment

mad indeed thanks Liam

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                            Yes, this type of refreshing is my favorite. I've been using different chemicals the last 2 years, but I'm now happy with and plan to use:

Griot's BOSS Fast Correcting cream on 5.5" LC CSS orange pad (medium cutting density) I have MF pads, but don't think I'll need them, maybe the 3" in certain spots where there's some etching and deeper scratches. I also have the medium BOSS "correcting cream" that I will probably use on the panels that don't need much cut like the trunk and doors.

Griot's BOSS Polishing cream on 5.5" LC CSS mint green pad (medium polishing density) I have the firmer white pads, but shouldn't need them.

For finishing, I'm really liking my current 1 - 2 of synthetic plus "ceramic" aka sio2 - I have turtle wax seal & shine, Mother's CMX - I like both. Then I top with pure carnauba (mother's, not cleaner version) the next day.

Everyone loves to tell me to PPF or ceramic coat, but I WANT to work on the paint often. I don't want to spend a bunch, and not touch the car for 2+ years, that's not my jam.
                            please make sure you post tons of photos of this process haha
                            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Came on here looking to see if you made a journal, you did not disappoint. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
                              Build///Journal
                              IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

Working...
                              X