Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coding DSC function to steering wheel button?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coding DSC function to steering wheel button?

Hey all, was wondering if there was a solution or if anyone has ever attempted to code the DSC button function, that's sitting down in the center console, to one of the rarely used steering wheel buttons on a non ZCP car? I'm sure others have thought of it, as the ZCP car has the M button on the steering wheel and all later generation M3s have had that function on the steering wheel in one way or another. Just so much more convenient to be able to change to MDM or OFF by pressing a button on the wheel. Its one thing I miss from my E92M, it was great being able to change the DSC settings without taking my right hand off the wheel, on the E46 it's an inconvenience having to take a hand off the wheel, reach down, and since there's no tactile difference between the row of buttons there (seat heater, mute, tire pressure all same shape and feel) I have to also to take my eyes off the road to make sure I'm holding down the correct button (my car has MDM coded so I have to hold down DSC 5 seconds to fully off).

I have a couple buttons on the wheel in mind for this functionality too, on the left side either the voice command button or the R/T button. Both I've never once pressed or used in my nearly 4 years of ownership.
    Last edited by BigRussia; 06-16-2021, 07:57 AM.
    2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
    Instagram
    Youtube

Any updates on this? I wanna do the same thing with those two buttons. Make one sport, and make one the dsc.

Comment

You need an additional hardware in the bus system to do this.

If you are handy with C programing language you can achieve what you are looking for with this product.

Hey guys, I'm just bringing back my thread from M3Forum. I'm sad that I lost all that history, but hey, what can you do? :) To bring everyone to speed: The BlueBus is an A2DP Bluetooth module that is fully integrated into the I-Bus network, allowing it to interface with the radio and draw a "UI" on the screen that

​​​​​​​Not to mention amazing sound quality.

Comment

Originally posted by RawS54 View Post
        Any updates on this? I wanna do the same thing with those two buttons. Make one sport, and make one the dsc.
        DSC off / Trackmode on separate buttons is only possible with a real ZCP/CSL unit. No way to code it, it‘s Hardware related.
        …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

DSC off / Trackmode on separate buttons is only possible with a real ZCP/CSL unit. No way to code it, it‘s Hardware related.
          Interesting..what exactly do I need to replace then? I thought having the MSS54HP was close enough..Maybe I can find a salvage part.. and have somebody help me code. Coding is definitely not my thing

Comment

Nvm do as you wish
            Last edited by ZiMMie; 10-14-2021, 03:45 AM.

Comment

on the ZCP/CSL DSC module, the M track mode and DSC mode are treated separately as the buttons are wired and mapped to different pins. on the non ZCP/CSL module, the module doesnt accept input on the M track mode pin slot.

one thing you can try doing is taking the M track mode wire on the steering wheel connector which is PIN 8 green connector 10-pin X10170 and wiring it to the Switch center. there are 2 plugs on the switch center:
              X1869 23-pin, black
              X521 4-pin, black

on the smaller 4 pin connector
              Pin 2 A Signal, ASC/DSC passive ABS/DSC unit

so try wiring pin 8 from ZCP button to PIn 2 on the 4 pin switch center connector and possibly the ZCP button can just act as an additional toggle for DSC overall where one press is M track mode and press and hold is disable DSC completely this is of course if you have M track mode coded properly for the DSC button functionality from the retrofit guide Terra posted on here.

Comment

Yeah soon after I made this topic I kept researching and reading around more threads online and saw that it is indeed a hardware related item, and not as simple as I hoped.

But, in concession Ive been wondering if its possible to swap the non-CSL/ZCP single button function where instead of the standard single press = MTM / long press = DSC off, it can be swapped around to be single press = DSC off (like factory) / long press = MTM? In my personal preference it would be much better, as I find myself usually going with DSC off for spirited driving and love to have it a quick single press like factory, unless its in more dangerous conditions where then I can spend the extra 5 seconds to put on MDM

Also I tried looking up if it was possible to get the MTM to be the default mode already enabled when starting up the car (like Sport mode memory). But alas that search led no where as well
                Last edited by BigRussia; 10-14-2021, 06:45 AM.
                Instagram
                Youtube

Comment

My guess is that almost anything is possible when customizing software. For example, terra wrote a program to strobe the shift lights. But only someone like terra, slim or ozul will know how to program what you are asking for or they have to spend time developing a solution.

The fact that MTM can be programmed on a non-ZCP/CSL at all is already a big win. Knowing that, I have no problem with the standard programming of the button. I'd like to try out the strobe shift lights for fun, but that ain't happening lol. Being able to have the shift lights on a manual car is already pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                    My guess is that almost anything is possible when customizing software. For example, terra wrote a program to strobe the shift lights. But only someone like terra, slim or ozul will know how to program what you are asking for or they have to spend time developing a solution.

The fact that MTM can be programmed on a non-ZCP/CSL at all is already a big win. Knowing that, I have no problem with the standard programming of the button. I'd like to try out the strobe shift lights for fun, but that ain't happening lol. Being able to have the shift lights on a manual car is already pretty cool.
                    Yah for sure, I love that coding the shift light function is possible and so simple to do as well. Going off the original topic but id love to implement the strobe function as well. I dont use the shift lights as its always hard for me to tell when theyve all lit even though i know the position of the last couple lights on the dial.

I've actually been thinking of replacing the first 2 yellow LEDs by soldering either red or blue (like F1 teams shift lights) LEDs to make it more obvious and easier to see when hit the shift point. Also I can’t confirm but it seems like the SMG cars come with the first two LEDs red already? If i could get my hands on a cheap used cluster to mess with i think it would be a fun little project to try

Instagram
                    Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post
                      You need an additional hardware in the bus system to do this.

If you are handy with C programing language you can achieve what you are looking for with this product.

Hey guys, I'm just bringing back my thread from M3Forum. I'm sad that I lost all that history, but hey, what can you do? :) To bring everyone to speed: The BlueBus is an A2DP Bluetooth module that is fully integrated into the I-Bus network, allowing it to interface with the radio and draw a "UI" on the screen that

​​​​​​​Not to mention amazing sound quality.
                      I’m actually learning C right now. Would be a fun project to look at this code. How can I access it from my computer? Do I connect it via micro usb and look at the files?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post

I’m actually learning C right now. Would be a fun project to look at this code. How can I access it from my computer? Do I connect it via micro usb and look at the files?
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SteelGreyM View Post

Don’t get me wrong, but bus communication is by far no beginning point for #C. Only if you are familiar with other programming language and with the basics of MCU‘s.
                          What you want will not work work with bluebus device, you need some custom made PCB with a custom made program.
                          i have gone through all the required steps with my cluster display project and can say prepare for „some“ time for this.

My recommendation for learning is to grab a arduino and begin with some simple stuff. And maybe some day you will be able top program this, there are better and more advanced programming IDEs, but this is perfect for learning.
                          …under construction.

Comment

It is entirely possible with a non ZCP/CSL unit to have a dedicated button (I.e. cruise control) where a press activates MDM and holding activates DSC off. Your switch panel button needs to be coded in this fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

Don’t get me wrong, but bus communication is by far no beginning point for #C. Only if you are familiar with other programming language and with the basics of MCU‘s.
                              What you want will not work work with bluebus device, you need some custom made PCB with a custom made program.
                              i have gone through all the required steps with my cluster display project and can say prepare for „some“ time for this.

My recommendation for learning is to grab a arduino and begin with some simple stuff. And maybe some day you will be able top program this, there are better and more advanced programming IDEs, but this is perfect for learning.

I don't think you understand how the bluebus works.
                              what he wants can be executed perfectly on the blue bus.

All he need to know is how the blue bus code is written so he can Inject the command he wants when a certain button is pushed. He can read the commands and the switches of the bluebus.

Comment

Working...
                              X