MSSFLASHER Help (Bricked DME?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSSFLASHER Help (Bricked DME?)

Afternoon guys! I am having a bit of an issue with my car after using the virginize function.

I was testing a few different tunes and my count was getting low so I decided to use the function to reset my count. During the reset everything seemed normal besides a “ecu timeout” line followed by task completed.

After that I haven’t been able to use mssflasher to reload a base tune to my ecu and it hasn’t been able to communicate.
    Does anyone have any experience on what I could be missing here?

DME is and MSS54HP and all of this was done while on a trickle charger and plenty of laptop battery.
    I have completely restarted my laptop and cycled the key multiple times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that's bricked.

If you're willing to experiment a bit, if you ground pin 37 of the eeprom on both the master and slave while powering on the DME, it may boot to a state that allows you to flash the DME. Otherwise you're going to have to BDM the DME or flash the eeproms with an external programmer

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
      Yeah that's bricked.

If you're willing to experiment a bit, if you ground pin 37 of the eeprom on both the master and slave while powering on the DME, it may boot to a state that allows you to flash the DME. Otherwise you're going to have to BDM the DME or flash the eeproms with an external programmer
      Thanks for the speedy response Terra. not the news I was looking for but a solution I guess.
      Is there any negative or further damage I can do by doing the forced boot grounding the pins? Next question would be if you could explain the process a little further for me. Would I have to remove the DME from the car and power using an external power supply? Or can I ground these pins while connected?

Do you know if this repair with an external programmer is something offered by third parties? Or am I left with most likely just replacing my DME?

Comment

Write in one of the CSL dme conversion thread, some members have a bdm device. Maybe a forum member will bdm it for a small fee. I would help you, but I’m on a different continent.
        …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
          Write in one of the CSL dme conversion thread, some members have a bdm device. Maybe a forum member will bdm it for a small fee. I would help you, but I’m on a different continent.
          Thank you, I’ll start looking and see if I can find anyone willing/able to help

I also stumbled across this service, https://www.bimmerlabs.com/help
          Does anyone know if this would be applicable in my situation? Or would I have to send this out to get the bdm

Is this a potential fix for my situation as well? Cslregister.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12750

I am well outside of my wheel house here but I am trying to pickup as much of this information as possible. At this point I’d like to find the cheapest fix possible as HP variants do not seem to be for sale anymore.

Thank you so much for the help guys

Comment

Not to hijack your thread, but what is this "count" you're speaking of? I've read and uploaded a couple of times via BMW Flash software and Martyns Ecuworx software but never noticed anything about a maximum amount of flashes you can do?

Regards

Comment

Only solution in my opinion is to bdm it. Even the cheapest.

martyn has a nice little tool (dme utility) that shows you the flash slots that are free. If you flash with bmw flash you should take care of it. Otherwise if you exceed the limit, the dme will lock it self and you need to unlock/reset it with mssflasher or bdm.
              …under construction.

Comment

So how'd it brick?
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  So how'd it brick?
                  That I don’t know, I had a battery charger connected and voltage never dropped.
                  The only thing I saw amidst was during the virginize process was something along the lines of “no response from ecu” then completed the process

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
                    Only solution in my opinion is to bdm it. Even the cheapest.

martyn has a nice little tool (dme utility) that shows you the flash slots that are free. If you flash with bmw flash you should take care of it. Otherwise if you exceed the limit, the dme will lock it self and you need to unlock/reset it with mssflasher or bdm.
                    Do you know if any of the above solutions in my previous post are on the right track? Or anything to do with terra recommending to ground the pin and force a boot that way?

Also are the bdm tools relatively inexpensive? Along with the process of bdm’ing the dme. I don’t care to pickup the tools to do it if it saves some more headache in the future.
                    Plus I’ve never been against learning more skills

Comment

This guy sells BDM kits specifically for the MSS54/hp. I use it and it works great with his software. I think it was about $150 with shipping from France. I messaged him through instagram

Comment

Now I'm scared to virginize with mssflasher. Maybe we should do it the old fashioned way with hex editor?

Comment

Originally posted by skristedja View Post
                          This guy sells BDM kits specifically for the MSS54/hp. I use it and it works great with his software. I think it was about $150 with shipping from France. I messaged him through instagram
                          I think you forgot a link in this one! I’ll gladly hit him up.
                          Any chance you’re located in the states and want to make back some of the investment into your bdm tools?

I’m just upset because I stupidly looked over the reset flash counter button. I have no idea to how that works though.
                          On the bright side if you’re in the states and have an issue with it and I have to purchase the bdm tools for it then I can help 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                            Now I'm scared to virginize with mssflasher. Maybe we should do it the old fashioned way with hex editor?
                            You can't. The flash counter is stored in a region of memory that can't be flashed through normal methods.

There is an undocumented function that allows the region to be reset, though. MSSFlasher backs up all data in that region, wipes it with the function and then rewrites everything back with the flash counter set to 0.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Oh, I heard from a very smart computer/EE guy you can edit a line of code in the file, and when you flash your car, it'll reset the counter. But I don't know enough about this stuff to know for sure. I'll ask him next time I see him. I have "only" 11 spots left, so I'll need to virginize sometime soon myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X