Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you code CSL oil level indicator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you code CSL oil level indicator?

Does anybody have a DIY on how to code the CSL oil level indicator? I have a CSL converted ECU and some of the common coding tools. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by duracellttu; 04-26-2020, 07:20 PM.
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

NCSExpert is able to do this if you have BMWtools installed on a PC and a K+DCAN OBD cable.

Recode the AKMB (cluster) with;

OELNIVEAU_M3 nicht_activ > activ
    Last edited by Slideways; 04-26-2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      NCSExpert is able to do this if you have BMWtools installed on a PC and a K+DCAN OBD cable.

Recode the AKMB (cluster) with;

OELNIVEAU_M3 nicht_activ > activ
      Can this be done on a regular M3 or does it have to have the CSL conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by TropicalM3 View Post

Can this be done on a regular M3 or does it have to have the CSL conversion?
        Only CSL conversion. Honestly, unless you are doing long distances where it can get an accurate reading, it is not that useful. With the oil level at 3/4 on the dipstick when hot, the computer reads +0.3L with mostly around town driving.

Comment

Only CSL conversion. Honestly, unless you are doing long distances where it can get an accurate reading, it is not that useful. With the oil level at 3/4 on the dipstick when hot, the computer reads +0.3L with mostly around town driving.
          ok cool, thanks

Comment

Very helpful. With long distance driving, would that same oil level read closer to 0? I read your comment to mean that around town driving was responsible for the somewhat erroneous reading of +0.3L.
            '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post

Very helpful. With long distance driving, would that same oil level read closer to 0? I read your comment to mean that around town driving was responsible for the somewhat erroneous reading of +0.3L.
              +0.7L over min and yes

Comment

I'm using the oil level indicator but, having tried 2 oil level sensors, it consistently reads -0.8 when the dipstick reads full. I have both the original dipstick and a shorter CSL one and they measure identically.

I'm pretty confident the sensor is adjusting to the oil level since when I lose battery, it goes to -.- and takes some time to calculate the level. Seems to go -0.7 at first and then settle on -0.8.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Is there an offset value in the KMB configuration I'm missing? I seem to recall reading on m3forum that the CSL is supposed to carry a bit more oil and that that's somehow accounted for electronically, but I don't remember the details. If I could tweak whatever that setting is, maybe I could make it work for my hardware.

Thanks all.

Edit: One thing I considered was that maybe I was reading the dipstick oil level incorrectly (waiting too long or not long enough to check it, etc). I typically run the car to hot, turn it off on level ground, and check a couple minutes later. Regardless, it's not reading +0.8 when I expect it to be +1.0 - it's reading -0.8! Presumably nearly 2 quarts off should be significantly outside the range of dipstick procedure variability, but open to any ideas.
                Last edited by ethan; 07-27-2020, 11:35 AM.

Comment

After a little digging, I've discovered that the oil level low light is set by the ECU and passed via CAN to the cluster (the cluster isn't making the call on whether or not the error should be set.) Probably the same story for oil level.

Looks like the 40 K_TOG_* prefixed params in the XDF are related to oil level.

Oil temp works and the sensor is 3 wires so I doubt I have this thing wired wrong...

Edit:

CSL:

K_TOG_VL: 77mm
                  K_TOG_VB1: 80mm
                  K_TOG_VB2: 82mm

MSS54/54HP:

K_TOG_VL: 73mm
                  K_TOG_VB1: 76mm
                  K_TOG_VB2: 78mm

So the CSL flash is assuming 4mm more oil depth vs. MSS54 and MSS54HP tunes. I measured the sensor and probe height at ~88.8mm and I would imagine part of that isn't usable. Sounds about right. Going to try running the MSS54HP values on my CSL tune and see what happens. Fingers crossed!

Can anyone who switched to a CSL dipstick confirm their OE stick read the same? Would be strange if BMW shipped the CSL with software expecting the thing to be overfilled from the perspective of the stick...
                  Last edited by ethan; 07-27-2020, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Just coded mine and it reads +0.7, although I may have it overfilled after the addition of some additive to the oil. Would like to learn how to decifer the reading.
                    Is +0.7 saying I am .7 liter to high?
                    Last edited by Cubieman; 07-28-2020, 02:51 PM.
                    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                    Instagram

Comment

It reads as .7 over minimum.
                      a reading of 1.0 is full max.

Comment

Thanks.
                        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                        Instagram

Comment

This code didn't work for my car (Jan 2002 build, Evolve Alpha N tune). I did confirm that OELNIVEAU_M3 activ when I read AKMB post coding but toggling through mileage/temp/time/etc. the oil level indicator didn't show. I read somewhere that you need a particular rev of the dash - rev 22 or higher I think. is there any way to confirm via NCSExpert or I just have to assume so based on build date?

Comment

Originally posted by azmirm5 View Post
                            This code didn't work for my car (Jan 2002 build, Evolve Alpha N tune). I did confirm that OELNIVEAU_M3 activ when I read AKMB post coding but toggling through mileage/temp/time/etc. the oil level indicator didn't show. I read somewhere that you need a particular rev of the dash - rev 22 or higher I think. is there any way to confirm via NCSExpert or I just have to assume so based on build date?
                            You need CSL firmware on your DME to get it to work. I'm assuming the alpha n tune is based on the regular HP firmware, which means that even though it's enabled on the cluster, the DME won't be sending over the pertinent information.

Also, if you pull the cluster, you'll find the version number printed on a sticker. Undo the two screws at the top and pull towards you to get it out.
                            Last edited by heinzboehmer; 09-13-2020, 01:25 AM.
                            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Have this on mine and find it very inconsistent , so much so I'm going to code it out again

Comment

Working...
                              X