Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSL airbox DIY ECU flash.

Hi,
    Ive just fitted my CSL airbox with MAP sensor and IAT as well as the deleting the MAF. I’ve read on what needs to be done to flash my ECU to get the car running however some of the threads are couple of years old so wanted to confirm the best practice for this still. (I’ll Reach out to a tuner at a later stage for fine tuning, but I just wanted to start the car and be able to move it about for now)

I have an 04 SMG car (UK) with an MSS54HP DME and I don’t have the CSL flap installed so I am hoping it keeps things bit simpler.

So using MMS flasher I can take a read of the OEM Bin file for the car and save that.

Then do a flash of Full 211323000401PD31_TERRA.bin from here https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...4HP%20to%20CSL

Then flash this Partial 211323000401PD11 SMG.bin

I then need to modify tune for the non CSL cams using tuner pro(?)

After the above I believe the car should be good to go, but would I need to do anything with the EWS, or VIN at this stage?

I understand the above will be on the the stock CSL tune modified to run on the non CSL boot loader as the original CSL tune with the CSL boot loader would require a BDM flash, But at this stage I just want to run the car and make sure everything is ok with the install,

Thanks for the help!

Andy

Mmm... Tough crowd 😆

O.K so just to follow up on this for anyone else. I did as above apart from modifying the tune for the cams (yet!). The car fired up first time, I couldn't resist a little drive to make sure everything was hooked up ok. It all ran like a dream, I know it will still need a "proper" tune but I was expecting some flat spots or hesitation but it was like the OEM from cold start to part throttle/ light load ( I didn't hold WOT). Checking with ECUworx after the VIN would need changing which is easy enough and EWS is disabled so that can be resynced.
    Andy

Comment

Thanks for this mate.

Why would the VIN need changing? And do you know what you need to modify for the cams?

Also in theory, shouldnt it run just like the CSL and not need any additional mapping?

Comment

Hey Mate, as it happens the VIN didn't need changing after I checked it in INPA. Glad you mentioned that so I could update. I ended up modifying the cams in the binary the values were posted here https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/special-interests/coding-tuning/135083-csl-mode-on-e30-swapped-s54
        You can also use Tuner Pro which looks a bit easier but I was in the binary anyway to make the change so I could still read codes. I checked my partial after in TunerPro and it all matched so that was good.

The CSL has different cams (amongst other changes in the valve train) so the stock CSL map is not ideal but it does work from my limited testing pootling around.

I have reached to Paul Claude for a tune to flash to the car now so hopefully thats the last piece of the puzzle now.

Andy

Comment

Thanks mate.

I wanna go CSL airbox eventually, but was planning to convert to CSL ECU and MAP sensor first so that its all running, and a MAP sensor might make the car run better anyway.

Just use a hex editor to modify the binary file with correct value for the stock cams?

Comment

Originally posted by rsnissan View Post
            Hey Mate, as it happens the VIN didn't need changing after I checked it in INPA. Glad you mentioned that so I could update. I ended up modifying the cams in the binary the values were posted here https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/special-interests/coding-tuning/135083-csl-mode-on-e30-swapped-s54
            You can also use Tuner Pro which looks a bit easier but I was in the binary anyway to make the change so I could still read codes. I checked my partial after in TunerPro and it all matched so that was good.

The CSL has different cams (amongst other changes in the valve train) so the stock CSL map is not ideal but it does work from my limited testing pootling around.

I have reached to Paul Claude for a tune to flash to the car now so hopefully thats the last piece of the puzzle now.

Andy
            Did you not have to change the VIN because you were updating your current ecu?

I had to buy a new dme because my car is a 2002 which didn't have the hp so wondering if i will indeed need to update the VIN. I hope the whole process wasn't too hard...I want to attempt the airbox install and try to flash the ecu myself because it seems like a fun project. Hope i'm not biting off more than i can chew.

Comment

Originally posted by saad View Post
              Thanks mate.

I wanna go CSL airbox eventually, but was planning to convert to CSL ECU and MAP sensor first so that its all running, and a MAP sensor might make the car run better anyway.

Just use a hex editor to modify the binary file with correct value for the stock cams?
              Yup, just a hex editor

Comment

Originally posted by crow4213 View Post

Did you not have to change the VIN because you were updating your current ecu?

I had to buy a new dme because my car is a 2002 which didn't have the hp so wondering if i will indeed need to update the VIN. I hope the whole process wasn't too hard...I want to attempt the airbox install and try to flash the ecu myself because it seems like a fun project. Hope i'm not biting off more than i can chew.
                Yeah I guess it was because it was the original ECU and the flash didn't touch that area? You will probably have to change the VIN on yours if you wanted to (I have some software on my headhunt locked to my VIN so needed the VIN to be original). It wasn't hard at all, a decent little fun project, even coded the CSL oil display on the dash after as well.

Comment

Hi rsnissan I’m planning to the same as you but with 6MT vehicle. Thanks for the walk-through. I’m guessing the only difference is the 2nd file I load needs to the be the Manual file on MSSFlasher? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jylee05 View Post
                    Hi rsnissan I’m planning to the same as you but with 6MT vehicle. Thanks for the walk-through. I’m guessing the only difference is the 2nd file I load needs to the be the Manual file on MSSFlasher? Thanks.
                    Hi Sorry for the late reply, yes I believe so, the "partial" .bin file

Comment

Originally posted by rsnissan View Post

Hi Sorry for the late reply, yes I believe so, the "partial" .bin file
                      No problem. Thanks for the response. How did you go about modifying for non-CSL cams? I haven't seen any step-by-step instructions and curious how you did it. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by jylee05 View Post

No problem. Thanks for the response. How did you go about modifying for non-CSL cams? I haven't seen any step-by-step instructions and curious how you did it. Thank you!
                        I Used this post; https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/special-interests/coding-tuning/2509-converting-an-mss54-hp-into-an-mss54hp-csl-h-bridge?p=2582#post2582

"2. Modify partial to work with your setup
                        • VANOS offsets: at 0x1802 change "00 1E" to "FF EC", at 0x1BB6 change "FF EC" to "00 0A"
                          • This is applicable only if running stock cams. This is not required if running CSL cams and will be incorrect if running any other type of cams."
                        From here; https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...p-csl-h-bridge

And used a generic HEX editor to change. To be honest you can get the car up and running with out this and should get a proper tune for the car after anyway even if you do change the cam offsets for stock. I just did this while waiting for my tune to see what the difference was and was probably only waiting for a day with it anyway.
                        Last edited by rsnissan; 02-28-2023, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Thank you, I'll give it a shot see if I can figure how to use a generic HEX editor.

Comment

My car is 100% stock and will only do the airbox. Is your similar or do you have other modifications on your car and hence got a proper tune?

Comment

In terms of the engine, mine is a completely stock Euro car, other than just the air box.

Comment

Working...
                              X