X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yes you can DIY all of this.

VIN is super easy with Tool32: https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/2016/02/26...f-with-tool32/

You can either code out EWS or sync it to your car.
    Yay! Thank you so much for your explanation. I would've googled, but as we all know the best resource for our platform has been reborn :-)

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
      ^Just use MSS Flasher to reset the flash counter.
      does a DME take 60 flashes max throughout it's whole life even Mssflasher can't reset that 60 flash limit?

Comment

Originally posted by E46 Adam View Post

does a DME take 60 flashes max throughout it's whole life even Mssflasher can't reset that 60 flash limit?
        The 60 flash limit (really 30 flash limit) is artificial and MSSFlasher can clear that. The physical limits are going to be on the order of 10-100k flashes.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

The 60 flash limit (really 30 flash limit) is artificial and MSSFlasher can clear that. The physical limits are going to be on the order of 10-100k flashes.
          Can the flash limit be cleared after it has hit the 30/60 limit?

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

alright kinda cool knowing they can take 100000 Flashes, Thanks!

Comment

I have a 2006 M3 MSS54HP and I am replacing my ECU with a used one and I want to clone the used one from my original ECU, can I just do a full read using MSSflasher or BMWFlash and write it into the donor ECU? Would that be enough to start and drive the car?

Comment

sorry, since my mother tongue is not english, i do not understand the term flashes in the context.

Can someone explain to me what that means? Misfire?

thank you 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2424 View Post
                  sorry, since my mother tongue is not english, i do not understand the term flashes in the context.

Can someone explain to me what that means? Misfire?

thank you 👍
                  Basically means to install the software onto the module. Usually also implies that all previous software is overwritten.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Yes, thank you! I need this thread!

Comment

hey guys,

i recently started with the mss54hp disassemlby in idapro.
                      So as first step i searched for the locations where the can-registers are setup, but i'm already stuck at this point.
                      I can see that many other registers are set but i cannot find the can-addressspace.
                      I'm searching for addresses for can upwards 0xFFF080 - 0xFFF0A6 as stated in the MC68336/376 ref.manual.

Can you help me getting started and find the right initial spots to look at?

regards
                      chris

Comment

Nope. Hardware differences are only related to year (HP vs non-HP). Firmware is different though.
                        When you say it's only related to year, does it mean some late non-CSLs M3s are equipped with MSS54HPs ?
                        Also do we know what changes the newer DME software versions (say 2009 vs 2006) bring ?

How should I interpret the HEX data shown in this thread (the one showing the offset and bytes corresponding to options)? Is it the contents of the EEPROM memory ? What are the 0DA files ? Are they the exact binary program to be flashed onto the DME EEPROM ? So could I interpret and modify an ODA with say a text editor and enable/disable features, then flash it to my DME? I am very new to this, thanks for being patient with my noob questions

Cheers!
                        Last edited by E46m3zcp; 09-10-2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by E46m3zcp View Post

When you say it's only related to year, does it mean some late non-CSLs M3s are equipped with MSS54HPs ?
                          Also do we know what changes the newer DME software versions (say 2009 vs 2006) bring ?

How should I interpret the HEX data shown in this thread (the one showing the offset and bytes corresponding to options)? Is it the contents of the EEPROM memory ? What are the 0DA files ? Are they the exact binary program to be flashed onto the DME EEPROM ? So could I interpret and modify an ODA with say a text editor and enable/disable features, then flash it to my DME? I am very new to this, thanks for being patient with my noob questions

Cheers!
                          Yeah regular M3s with build dates after 09/02 came with MSS54HPs. These run different firmware than the CSL DMEs though, which is why you'll hear about "CSL DME conversions".

You can use whatever hex editor you like to read and modify a binary. The offset refers to the location of the data (e.g., offset 0x0 is the first byte in the binary and offset 0xA is the eleventh byte in the binary).

0DA files are just binary files in BMW's format, per say. But yes they hold the data section of the EEPROMs. It's easier to just read either the full or partial (otherwise known as the tune) binary using MSSFlasher or BMWFlash and make changes to that.

This document provides a great introduction to all of this and will probably answer most of your questions: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...dification.pdf
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Yeah regular M3s with build dates after 09/02 came with MSS54HPs. These run different firmware than the CSL DMEs though, which is why you'll hear about "CSL DME conversions".

You can use whatever hex editor you like to read and modify a binary. The offset refers to the location of the data (e.g., offset 0x0 is the first byte in the binary and offset 0xA is the eleventh byte in the binary).

0DA files are just binary files in BMW's format, per say. But yes they hold the data section of the EEPROMs. It's easier to just read either the full or partial (otherwise known as the tune) binary using MSSFlasher or BMWFlash and make changes to that.

This document provides a great introduction to all of this and will probably answer most of your questions: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...dification.pdf
                            Terra knows the rough cutoff for non-HP to HP. I believe it is after the facelift in late 03.5. Neither 10/02 and 11/02 that I checked had an HP.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Terra knows the rough cutoff for non-HP to HP. I believe it is after the facelift in late 03.5. Neither 10/02 and 11/02 that I checked had an HP.
                              Hmm honestly not too surprised that the actual cutoff is different, I was just going off what RealOEM says. I'm assuming it 09/02 because that's when the CSL started coming out.

Edit: just realized terra responded earlier to this thread saying that M3s built after 09/03 all came with HPs.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I carefully read the PDF and I was able to read my DME and save the bin file. I can tell my version code is 211323002701JD79 for instance. Now using 010 Editor to compare the tune file to the 0DA file I can tell they are very different. What is the 0DA supposed to be used for ? How do they relate to each other ?

I am trying to figure out which of the 0DA correponds to the version of my DME by looking at the bin file. The table in this thread has '????' as the 2 last bytes of the version code for the current candidates : A7842978, A7842980, A7843302 and A7843304. However, looking for '2113' in each of these files I found that the full version code seems to be

A7842978 --- 211323002701J429 X
                                A7842980 --- 211323002701J469 9
                                A7843302 --- 211323002701JD39 9
                                A7843304 --- 211323002701JD79 L

I guess this means I have version 7.842.981 released on 23-Apr-2009 and that my DME has the latest software release.
                                Last edited by E46m3zcp; 09-13-2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X