Fix For Error Code Reading on MSSFlasher CSL Tune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by karter16 View Post

My understanding is as follows (I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will correct me if I'm wrong here)

Pre '04 cars the cluster had a dedicated pin on the back that was used to tell it if the charging system (alternator) is working. '04+ this was changed to be a signal over CAN. If you have an '04+ cluster then it is expecting to receive the signal over CAN (GENERATOR_UEBER_CAN enabled), if you have an earlier cluster then the dedicated pin must be wired.

I believe that because the CSL production ended in 03, the CSLs came with the dedicated pin on the cluster and hence did not expect this signal over CAN. If you have a newer cluster and are running the CSL software then you need to ensure that GENERATOR_UEBER_CAN is set to enable in your cluster and that you set 0x5968 to 01 05 0A in the binary so that your newer cluster can still receive the charging system status.
    That's cool if it's a simple programming change. Because if you get a new cluster from bmw as I have 4 times they are all to”he newer gen ones with the N instead of the 0. We have always programmed them using ista so I'm guessing this was done automatically then.

Comment

CAN signal comes from the DME. Clusters can be programmed to use either the dedicated wire or the CAN signal.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post

My understanding is as follows (I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will correct me if I'm wrong here)

Pre '04 cars the cluster had a dedicated pin on the back that was used to tell it if the charging system (alternator) is working. '04+ this was changed to be a signal over CAN. If you have an '04+ cluster then it is expecting to receive the signal over CAN (GENERATOR_UEBER_CAN enabled), if you have an earlier cluster then the dedicated pin must be wired.

I believe that because the CSL production ended in 03, the CSLs came with the dedicated pin on the cluster and hence did not expect this signal over CAN. If you have a newer cluster and are running the CSL software then you need to ensure that GENERATOR_UEBER_CAN is set to enable in your cluster and that you set 0x5968 to 01 05 0A in the binary so that your newer cluster can still receive the charging system status.
        To be clear it is only the binary I built that has the can alternator code within it. Factory CSL software does not have the code present, in which case your only choice would be to implement the direct wire hookup and recode your cluster.

To my knowledge it doesn’t impact the functionality of the alternator at all, but having a functional alternator light lets you see if something is wrong.

Comment

For those who have flashed Terra's modified program with the alternator light fix what is the state of your warning light with key on (pos 2) and engine not running?
          I have no battery light at all now.....makes me wonder if I missed a step.

Edit: I did certainly miss a step;

"That program also has the changes to trigger the alternator light over the CAN-bus. To enable that, you'd set 0x5968 to 01 05 0A...."

I misinterpreted that to mean the modified program was ready to rock and roll when in reality I needed to change the 0x5968 data. Now with that addressed I have a functioning warning light.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by tmaxx445; 01-02-2024, 04:04 PM.
          2005 M3 Coupe / 6 Speed / Silver Gray Metallic / Black Nappa Leather / Premium Pkg / Cold Weather Pkg / Bi Xenons / Adjustable Bolsters / MKIV Navigation / Harman Kardon / Bavsound / BlueBus / Sirius XM / Aux In / Carbon Trim / ZHP Shift Knob / Short Shifter / ZCP Brakes / Yellow Tag Steering Rack / Karbonius CSL Race Intake / SS Headers / AR20 Resonator / Exhaust Bypass Valve / Modified Bilstein B6s / Eibach Springs / Staggered OE CSL Wheels / 265 & 235 Pirelli PZ4s / SunTek 38% Carbon Tint

Comment

Originally posted by tmaxx445 View Post
            For those who have flashed Terra's modified program with the alternator light fix what is the state of your warning light with key on (pos 2) and engine not running?
            I have no battery light at all now.....makes me wonder if I missed a step.

Edit: I did certainly miss a step;

"That program also has the changes to trigger the alternator light over the CAN-bus. To enable that, you'd set 0x5968 to 01 05 0A...."

I misinterpreted that to mean the modified program was ready to rock and roll when in reality I needed to change the 0x5968 data. Now with that addressed I have a functioning warning light.
            Just want to be 100% clear on this, do we need to modify 0x5968 on the full binary or partial?
            2006 M3 ZCP

Comment

Originally posted by SUPREM3/// View Post

Just want to be 100% clear on this, do we need to modify 0x5968 on the full binary or partial?
              anyone?
              2006 M3 ZCP

Comment

Originally posted by SUPREM3/// View Post

Partial. Edited OP to clarify

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Partial. Edited OP to clarify
                  Thanks terra.
                  2006 M3 ZCP

Comment

I just did a CSL conversion in E36 S54 swap using terra full binary with hex changes including non-csl cams. I'm using GM 1bar sensor (0261230101) which should have same scaling as CSL and M54 engine IAT splined from MAF wiring which should have same as CSL. When I load partial tune in ecuworx there is an option M3 modified IAT and option for 1bar GM MAP sensor. Why is that? Which one should I pick in my case? Now it is checked for both CSL IAT and MAP.

IAT in Inpa shows ambient temp correctly, on startup in map test value drops from 1000 to 400, so should be correct as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X