Forcing OBD Readiness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forcing OBD Readiness

I'm sure this was covered at some point on m3F but, what is the easiest way to just force the readiness monitors to be either N/A or Ready? I have an MS54HP 2501.

I've suppressed the codes for missing hardware but I can't for the life of me get the Evap, SAP and O2 Sensor monitors to set.This is my binary if anyone wants to take a look: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1It...sZegr5v6pCMfFu

Any help would be very appreciated!

There are 4 methods, I can't remember which one still sets readiness, I remember it being one of them, maybe someone else can confirm:

Example DTC String: AA 01 01 01 01 01 01 00 01 02 03 28 01 FF

METHOD 1: The first method to suppress a DTC, and coincidentally also the easiest, requires only a simple modification of the DTC string by replacing the 13th byte with '00':

String:AA 01 01 01 01 01 01 00 01 02 03 28 00 FF

METHOD 2: The second method is to actually zero out the entire 14-byte string:

String:00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

METHOD 3 (untested): The third method is to perform a hybridization of the previous two by zeroing out the first and 13th bytes of the 14-byte string:

String:00 01 01 01 01 01 01 00 01 02 03 28 00 FF

METHOD 4 : The fourth method is to substitute the following string for the entirety of the original string, exactly as has been done within other OEM binaries for OEM suppressed codes:

String:00 28 28 03 02 03 02 00 01 02 03 28 00 FF

Comment

I have not confirmed, but I found this quote:

"It has been reported that 0'ing out the entire string for the cat efficiency codes sets the monitors to ready."

Comment

I was able to work this out. I ended up just suppressing every single emissions related DTC and that caused all of the monitors to set to ready right away. This was a bit of a "shotgun" approach but I was tired of messing with it. You can probably get away without suppressing all of these.

For anyone that wants to do the same, suppress DTCs(decimal): 12, 13, 14, 19, 27, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 63, 87, 88, 90, 91, 92, 93, 127, 144, 145, 154, 170, 171, 175, 176, 178, 179, 180, 181, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 221, 232.

I also disabled the SAP since mine is deleted: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...dary-Air-Pump).

More info on suppressing DTCs: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...ion-Strategies. I zeroed out the 13th byte (Method 1), but those running early MS54s might need to try one of the alternative methods.

I wouldn't recommend doing this to your main tune, but if you need to force your monitors in a pinch, this is a quick and dirty way to get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebxp View Post
          I was able to work this out. I ended up just suppressing every single emissions related DTC and that caused all of the monitors to set to ready right away. This was a bit of a "shotgun" approach but I was tired of messing with it. You can probably get away without suppressing all of these.

For anyone that wants to do the same, suppress DTCs(decimal): 12, 13, 14, 19, 27, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 63, 87, 88, 90, 91, 92, 93, 127, 144, 145, 154, 170, 171, 175, 176, 178, 179, 180, 181, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218, 219, 221, 232.

I also disabled the SAP since mine is deleted: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...dary-Air-Pump).

More info on suppressing DTCs: https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...ion-Strategies. I zeroed out the 13th byte (Method 1), but those running early MS54s might need to try one of the alternative methods.

I wouldn't recommend doing this to your main tune, but if you need to force your monitors in a pinch, this is a quick and dirty way to get it done.
          When are you planning on visiting an emissions testing station? Here in Maryland all emissions testing has been suspended and turned into COVID drive thru testing.

Is your SAP still listed as equipped and ready or just not equipped?

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

When are you planning on visiting an emissions testing station? Here in Maryland all emissions testing has been suspended and turned into COVID drive thru testing.

Is your SAP still listed as equipped and ready or just not equipped?
            Auto repair shops are considered essential in NYS so they're still open.

SAP is listed as equipped and ready.

Comment

Did you just just zero out the last 2 bytes or the entire string?

Comment

Originally posted by andrebxp View Post

He zeroed out the 13th byte.

Comment

Originally posted by Anders93 View Post

He zeroed out the 13th byte.
                  ^ Yep

Comment

Thank you for posting this. This is in my future.

Comment

I just went through hell trying to get the evaporation and SAP monitors to show ready for smog test. The car spent a week in the local dealership, and they finally were able to get it to pass inspection. I'm not computer savvy enough to do this coding myself, so excuse my ignorance.
                      ThanksI may need to learn before the next visit to the smog shop.
                      My real question is, what's the downside to doing this coding specifically to get past the emission guys?

Comment

How do you exactly do this, what do I have to use/where do I have to go, I have inpa and the other programs installed. Or do I need something else? I’m going through the same issue with my car of it not passing smog, car runs perfect no cel, nothing, just doesn’t wanna get ready.

Comment

Let this go for a while and now trying to learn/work my way through the decimal list using method 1 in Tuner Pro and the excel file from saildot4k.

Any chance someone would be kind enough to tell me if I'm on the right track here?

In the example below, I am working on decimal 87, Lambda sensor 1 after cat. Signal, oxygen sensor after cat., cyl. 1-3. For my version, 2701, the location listed in the file is 0x63FA.

My cursor is on that location, highlighted as 57, and if I'm understanding the process the thirteenth byte needing to be updated with 00 would be 25 just before the FF cap. Or am I just way out in left field🤣

Any guidance from those with more experience would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get a bin file ready...just in case.

Thanks so much.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DTC.png
Views:	1129
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	170645
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel DTC codes.png
Views:	1093
Size:	579.8 KB
ID:	170648

Attached Files

Comment

^You are correct. I also uploaded XDFs to help you with at least one method.....

MSS54 and MSS54HP XDFs . Contribute to saildot4k/MSS54-XDFs development by creating an account on GitHub.
                            TunerPro XDFs, DTCs, A2L, DIY Bench Flash Harness, Swap XDFs COMPREHENSIVE

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                              ^You are correct. I also uploaded XDFs to help you with at least one method.....

https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...%20Swap%20XDFs
                              Thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X