SMG CAN Bus Decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG CAN Bus Decoding

Has anyone looked at the CAN bus going into the cluster and figured out which PIDs were specific to SMG? Specifically looking for Gear selected indicator. Thanks in advance.

I won't be of much help, but was curious about this the other day so I'll be following.

I'm assuming the SMG ECU is what broadcasts the gear selection and not the DME right? My assumption is based on seeing the clusters of swapped cars where the SMG display just sits there without any gear information being displayed.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Subscribed!

One of my projects in the near future is to find out what ARBID, Byte and offset the SMG use to broadcast selected gear and Drivelogic mode for a diy racedash. Maybe someone discovered it before, because reverse engineering can be a bit painful.
      …under construction.

Comment

Okay I guess I'm doing some CAN logging soon. I'll post results when I figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any updates here or other contributions? Installing an AIM dash (deleting cluster) and have SMG. In search of the specific CAN addresses.

Comment

Originally posted by nickpiper12 View Post
            Any updates here or other contributions? Installing an AIM dash (deleting cluster) and have SMG. In search of the specific CAN addresses.
            Sorry not yet. Our car is in pieces. I'll be posting here as soon as I start logging CAN.

If anyone has the ability to log the can messages as they are shifting from N to 1 please send them my way, Ill do my best to figure it out.

Comment

Interested.

When you say PID you're speaking about OBD, not raw can. Do we know if OBD reports this information about the SMG?

Some information that's available on CAN busses may not be available on OBD.

My first attempt at interfacing with the CAN bus was with an arduino shield plugged in the OBD port (not to bring confusion, OBD port has CAN pins where it should be possible to read RAW CAN data).

I wasnt able to see anything. What would be the right baud rate ?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by E46m3zcp View Post
                Interested.

When you say PID you're speaking about OBD, not raw can. Do we know if OBD reports this information about the SMG?

Some information that's available on CAN busses may not be available on OBD.

My first attempt at interfacing with the CAN bus was with an arduino shield plugged in the OBD port (not to bring confusion, OBD port has CAN pins where it should be possible to read RAW CAN data).

I wasnt able to see anything. What would be the right baud rate ?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Sorry when I say PID i really mean ARBID on raw CAN. The comms between the ECU and the Cluster is CAN.

There is no CAN bus on the OBD port on an E46. You need to tap into it from the wire loom running from the ECU box to the Cluster.

Comment

I have done this on my E46 320i (M54B22). The transmission control unit (TCM/EGS) sends one CAN ID. It sends gear selector position, gear, gearbox oil temperature and there is a value between 0-100% for torque reduction during up shifts. Normally 100% but during a shift 20-30%.
                  I will post the dbc file later as I can't access it currently.
                  One of the bytes in the message remains 0, I think this might be torque increase during down shifts (rev-match) something my ZF 5HP doesn't support. Currently the project is on hold but will continue soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomba View Post
                    I have done this on my E46 320i (M54B22). The transmission control unit (TCM/EGS) sends one CAN ID. It sends gear selector position, gear, gearbox oil temperature and there is a value between 0-100% for torque reduction during up shifts. Normally 100% but during a shift 20-30%.
                    I will post the dbc file later as I can't access it currently.
                    One of the bytes in the message remains 0, I think this might be torque increase during down shifts (rev-match) something my ZF 5HP doesn't support. Currently the project is on hold but will continue soon.
                    I'd be keen to take a look at this!

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                      Has anyone looked at the CAN bus going into the cluster and figured out which PIDs were specific to SMG? Specifically looking for Gear selected indicator. Thanks in advance.
                      CAN ARBID $411 packet bits (maybe not 100% correct):

0: 00000000 CAN Packet CRC (NEGATIVE byte of sum (ISTGANG+GEWUENSCHTER_GANG+ganganzeige+CAN SYNC Counter+Clutchstatus)

1: s0wwwzzz s:STOERANZEIGE_SMG_STEUERUNG, www:GEWUENSCHTER_GANG (0.Neutral 1-6.Gear 7.Rear), zzz:ISTGANG

2: gfatsppp g:FGR_ABSCHALTEN_AKTIV, f:ANLASSERFREIGABE_AKTIV, a:SCHALTUNG_AKTIV, t:WAEHLHEBELSTELLUNG AUTO/Traction help, s:IGNITION&SPORT ON&S|+|-, ppp:PROGRAMMINFO (A/S 1..6 clutch programm, R/N zero)

3: ooooxxxx oooo: [0001 GET_LOCAL_TRIP_ERREICHT, 0010 FREEZE_FRAME_GESPEICHERT, 0100 MIL, 1000 MIL_BLINK], xxxx:GANGANZIEGE ( "00.Neutral", "0X.Gang", "07.Rueckwaertsgang", "08.Anzeige dunkel", "09.Automat", "0F.Testfunktion (alle an)"

4: mmmmmmmm M_KUPPL (Max. Transmittable clutch torque Min .: 1, Default: 700 Nm, Max: 1020 Always: 700 Nm
                      X*4 nm, in calibration data there is parameter of 700 Nm, also it can be written in NVRAM, then checked for value 0 - if true, parameter of 700 Nm used)

5: hhhhhhhh Power at clutch % (X*0.394 ???)

6: abcdzzzz a:OBD_REL_FEHLER_ERFUELLT, b:EINGRIFF1, c:EINGRIFF2 (use this), d:WAEHLHEBELSTELLUNG AUTO, zzzz:CAN SYNC Counter

7: yyyyffff yyyy:WAEHLHEBELANZEIGE (Selector lever display raw value in Kombi: 00:"Anzeige dunkel/P", 01:"0/N", 02:"R", 03:"A+", 04:"A-", 05:"A+/-", 06:"S+", 07:"S-", 08:"S+/-", 09:"+", 0A:"-", 0B:"+/-", 0C:"A (Automat)", 0F:"Testfunktion (alle an)"), ffff:FAHRZUSTAND (Clutchstatus: 8-Anfahrhilfe, 7-Racestart, 6-Radabriss, 5-Abwuergen, 4-Hillclimbassist?, 3-Schub, 2-Schalten, 1-Anfahren, 0-Other)

Also there are $410 and $412 CAN ARBIDS...
                      Last edited by olza; 09-04-2020, 03:09 AM.

Comment

olza how do you get to this definitions? It‘s reading like a internal functiondescription document from bmw as it‘s in german. Do you have similar for E9x platform DCT (PT-)Can Messages?

eacmen
                        for drivelogic mode, look at 0x43F Byte 5 if i remember correctly. Selected gear should be on the same ID. Will check again this week and report.
                        …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
                          olza how do you get to this definitions? It‘s reading like a internal functiondescription document from bmw as it‘s in german. Do you have similar for E9x platform DCT (PT-)Can Messages?

eacmen
                          for drivelogic mode, look at 0x43F Byte 5 if i remember correctly. Selected gear should be on the same ID. Will check again this week and report.
                          why if $410 has it all? this definitions from my disassembly and PRG disassembly.

i have DCT project and most CAN data described from TCU side too.

Comment

My knowledge is far behind yours, so i had only done a bit canbus sniffing. And 0x43F was present. I take a look in my Log and 410 or 411 was not present.

A part of the Log is attached.

I have write you a PM, Olza.
                            Attached Files
                            …under construction.

Comment

in a code i can see only 310, 311, 312, 313, 314, 515, 516, 631(dev?) and out 410, 411, 412, 200, 201, 630 (dev?)

Comment

Working...
                              X