Car shifting rough after SMG CSL update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car shifting rough after SMG CSL update

Just applied the CSL SMG tune and the car is shifting rougher than before, and there is a much more noticeable clunk from the rear. Any thoughts? Should I run adaptations?

Yes. I did after applying to mine. Have you done both the engine and SMG DME tunes?
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
      Yes. I did after applying to mine. Have you done both the engine and SMG DME tunes?
      I did not. Is that necessary? Is that via Winkfp or NCS Expert?

Comment

Strictly speaking it is not but to maximize potential it should be applied.

In order to get the best from your CSL rev matching it’s advisable to upgrade the software on your SMG ECU/DME to CSL spec or’255′ software as it’s often referred. This is a fairly simple task but requires the following to be in place for a successful flash: – A battery tender or intelligent charger that is capable of working in ‘supply’ to provide 14V @ 10A. I recommend the CTEK MXS10. – A working installation of WinKFP (5.1.6 or newer) and the E46 Daten Files – A diagnostic cable that works with INPA/WinKFP, if you don’t have one, grab

First and foremost, ECUWorx offer no warranty of any kind, we are not liable if you break your car by incorrectly flashing your ECU/DME. You do so at your own risk! You will require the following: A copy of the MSS5x Binary Modification Tool, available here A fully charged laptop and a copy of BMWFlash or MSSFlasher. Available from here: BMWFlash or a copy of from here: MSSFlasher A FTDI based OBD2 diagnostic cable such as a BMTechnic cable / BM or a KKL Vag-Com cable. yIf you don’t have one, you can buy one from here A trickle charger

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

IMO if only done to the SMG ECU then it’s mostly useless until you do it to the DME.
          06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Thanks all! Here is the tune that I applied:

How is it different than the first link that you posted? I’ll try to do the second one that was posted.

Comment

Originally posted by S3diment View Post
              Thanks all! Here is the tune that I applied:

https://www.autoevolution.com/pdf/ne...d-m3-62309.pdf

How is it different than the first link that you posted? I’ll try to do the second one that was posted.
              You flashed the SMG ECU, the link below is to flash your engine DME. They work in concert and I agree with what COVID-19, both really should be done.

https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/usi...fication-tool/
              Last edited by oceansize; 09-30-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

You flashed the SMG ECU, the link below is to flash your engine DME. They work in concert and I agree with what COVID-19, both really should be done.

https://www.ecuworx.co.uk/how-to/usi...fication-tool/
                Thank you, going to try it now. As I understand it the MSS5X is a one-click tool to flash/reflash the DME whereas one can manually update it as well using the values provided here using BMWFlash (obviously specific to the CSL SMG DME): https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...parameters-dme

Comment

Thank you, going to try it now. As I understand it the MSS5X is a one-click tool to flash/reflash the DME whereas one can manually update it as well using the values provided here using BMWFlash (obviously specific to the CSL SMG DME): https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/s...parameters-dme
                  The ECUWorx tool is meant to provide a visual interface for the popular tune modifications (shift lights, SMG rev match and inertia stuff, etc). You still need another tool (BMWFlash, MSSFlasher, etc) to read/flash your DME.

And yes, you can just read off your tune, follow the directions in that thread to modify the appropriate sections, and flash it back to your car. The CSL maps are just regular maps modified (by BMW) to provide better shifts. So if you replace the existing maps in your tune with the CSL ones then you'll have all the CSL DME stuff.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Thanks just did it. I think there is a much more audible clunk from both the front and the rear. Hopefully it gets better over time.

Comment

Thanks just did it. I think there is a much more audible clunk from both the front and the rear. Hopefully it gets better over time.
                      Run adaptations? What mode are u in? I only drive in S5. Occasionally S6. When you start the car is it in A3?

Comment

SMG CSL software is going to bring out a clunk big time. It shifts hard. That's a hydraulic clutch system. Lamborghini, Aston Martin, and Ferrari have similar styles of tech in them from the era and they have hard shifting. Thankfully our clutches last longer than 30k miles and aren't $5000 in parts.

Update: Just made the swap to CSL and the engine tune helps SIGNIFICANTLY. The engine isn't fighting the transmission anymore.
                        Last edited by Arith2; 02-16-2021, 10:59 AM.
                        This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Bump to the top. Is there an easy way to check if my SMG ECU is already flashed to the CSL software?

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                            Bump to the top. Is there an easy way to check if my SMG ECU is already flashed to the CSL software?
                            If u turn off the car in manual mode and it starts in A3 then u have the csl. CSL software doesn’t remember the last mode.

Comment

If u turn off the car in manual mode and it starts in A3 then u have the csl. CSL software doesn’t remember the last mode.
                              thanks! I must not be running the csl sw. Looks like i got my next project to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X