Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSS54 Binary Modification Tool Question

Hello,
    First off I am aware that there is a thread dedicated to this subject, but I wanted to see if someone has had a similar setup as mine and could answer a couple questions. I have PM's and emailed Martyn, but I was hoping this might be an subject that someone has dealt with in the past. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Background: I have a Karbonius Airbox installed on my vehicle with a TTFS rail, and just installed a new GM 1 Bar MAP sensor on the rail. I have double- and triple checked my wiring based off off the ECUWorx Website and everything looks good. I did purchase a terminal lead that I am using as an extension for Pin 18 because I cant get the pin to index properly into the harness based off the thickness of the MAP sensor pigtail wires.

I sent my DME to Kassel to have it flashed to CSL software. I believe they flash a CSL clone software with some various modifications which is where my questions arise. I was given CSL “U.S. Spec” software for my 6MT car.

I know that site says to use non-modified binary for best results. My DME has been modified and I have shift lights, some throttle remapping and the sport button modifications. I do not want to lose these mods, but I also don’t want to mess up the binary tool process if that makes sense. My goal is to change the binary to reflect the physical removal of the SAP I did recently and change the values to scale for the use of a GM 1 Bar sensor. Will I be able to use the tool to change only these values without me screwing up the other work that work that was done by Kassel?
    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

You will not change anything regarding your Kassel tune by using the ECUWORX binary modification tool, so it is safe to make changes. I would use Martyn's free software that let's you read errors/adaptations.
    My Kassel tune had CSL camshaft offsets which threw a Vanos inlet error and also showed that the Vanos had an adaptation value of 0 on the inlet side.
    I changed the camshaft offsets but Jim at Kassel also sent me a new BIN file to account for that as well US IAT sensor that needed to be changed to CSL, which can be done in Martyn's software.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
      You will not change anything regarding your Kassel tune by using the ECUWORX binary modification tool, so it is safe to make changes. I would use Martyn's free software that let's you read errors/adaptations.
      My Kassel tune had CSL camshaft offsets which threw a Vanos inlet error and also showed that the Vanos had an adaptation value of 0 on the inlet side.
      I changed the camshaft offsets but Jim at Kassel also sent me a new BIN file to account for that as well US IAT sensor that needed to be changed to CSL, which can be done in Martyn's software.
      Interesting. Ever since I swapped to the Kassel tune I have been having issues with extreme bucking under full throttle load. I sent them a message and they basically said "it happens" and that I would need to get a custom tune to sort it out. I don't have upgraded Cam's and the IAT is in the stock airbox location. Haven't thrown any VANOS errors but it certainly sounds like the timing is off during those bucking sessions.

Edit: I have had 2 different shops check and double check the driveshaft balancing etc. and they have both concluded it is an engine running condition.
      [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post

Interesting. Ever since I swapped to the Kassel tune I have been having issues with extreme bucking under full throttle load. I sent them a message and they basically said "it happens" and that I would need to get a custom tune to sort it out. I don't have upgraded Cam's and the IAT is in the stock airbox location. Haven't thrown any VANOS errors but it certainly sounds like the timing is off during those bucking sessions.

Edit: I have had 2 different shops check and double check the driveshaft balancing etc. and they have both concluded it is an engine running condition.
        Not that it will solve your issue, but if you read your tune out from your DME and post it here, I can verify that the cam offsets are set correctly. That will at least give you somewhere to start.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Not that it will solve your issue, but if you read your tune out from your DME and post it here, I can verify that the cam offsets are set correctly. That will at least give you somewhere to start.
          Dumb question. I know just enough to get some basic coding done, but beyond that I know basically nothing. Do you mean the partial reading or the full reading from BMW Flash. I am assuming the partial reading?

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post

Dumb question. I know just enough to get some basic coding done, but beyond that I know basically nothing. Do you mean the partial reading or the full reading from BMW Flash. I am assuming the partial reading?
            The VANOS offsets are found in the partial so just that is needed. You could technically post up the full reading if you wanted to (since the full read includes the partial), but it is unnecessary.
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Waiting for my battery tender to arrive (lost the original in a recent move) and ill be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here we are.
                Attached Files

Comment

Yeah VANOS offsets are set for stock cams. The problem with just doing that is that the rest of the maps are still set up for CSL cams/exhaust so your car won't run perfectly if you don't have all the CSL bits.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                    Yeah VANOS offsets are set for stock cams. The problem with just doing that is that the rest of the maps are still set up for CSL cams/exhaust so your car won't run perfectly if you don't have all the CSL bits.
                    Is there anything I can do about it? I appreciate the help by the way. Do I just need to have someone remote tune it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah a (good) dyno tune will be tailored to your specific setup, so no more mismatching maps. If that's the cause of your bucking issue then that should be resoved as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X