Modifying catalyst efficiency thresholds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modifying catalyst efficiency thresholds

Anyone know what values or maps need to be modified to “turn down” the rear O2 sensors? My SSv1 cats are not strong enough to not trigger the catalyst efficiency codes when combined with CSL software (they were fine with stock US more emissions friendly software). I looked for a while in XDFs and couldn’t narrow it down, and eventually just turned off the DTCs. However it would be nice to have an indicator of catalyst health and turn their sensitivity down 30-50% or so.

In for details
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Not sure about changing the efficiency, but you can simply disable the DTCs so that it no longer reports, which it seems you did. The rear O2 sensors do not affect engine running:

https://github.com/saildot4k/MSS54-X...-Sensor-Delete
      Last edited by R3Z3N; 04-22-2021, 08:55 AM.
      TunerPro XDFs, DTCs, A2L, DIY Bench Flash Harness, Swap XDFs COMPREHENSIVE

Comment

Have you thought about just adding in a bung ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You should be able to adjust post cat values using Lambda_POST-CAT (NKAT) SENSOR VOLTAGE (USM)lean (K_LANK_USM) & Lambda_POST-CAT (NKAT) SENSOR VOLTAGE (USF)rich (K_LANK_USF).

Max allowable value is 1000mV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	post cat_mV.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	103274

Comment

Originally posted by SliM3 View Post
            You should be able to adjust post cat values using Lambda_POST-CAT (NKAT) SENSOR VOLTAGE (USM)lean (K_LANK_USM) & Lambda_POST-CAT (NKAT) SENSOR VOLTAGE (USF)rich (K_LANK_USF).

Max allowable value is 1000mV.

Click image for larger version

Name:	post cat_mV.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	103274
            Thank you!! So presumably those are the thresholds around 0.45V that the DME uses to determine whether a crossing event occurred. I’ll give it a bit more leeway, 0.35 and 0.55 or so and see what that does with the DTC reenabled. I should probably log the readings too and see what nearly new SS/HJS 100 cells look like on the current tune.

Comment

Ss hjs cats are 100 cell for most applications, but alpinerider confirmed that cell count is 200 specifically for e46 m3 hjs catted sect 1 (2.5" & 2.365).

You don't need to mess with o2 sensitivity, you'll pass. Get them well warm just to be sure.
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                Ss hjs cats are 100 cell for most applications, but alpinerider confirmed that cell count is 200 specifically for e46 m3 hjs catted sect 1 (2.5" & 2.365).

You don't need to mess with o2 sensitivity, you'll pass. Get them well warm just to be sure.
                good info about the cell count.

I don’t have smog or OBD emissions period anymore (15 year rule in MA). More want the cat monitor working as designed but for my specific hardware because it feels like a hack to just disable the DTC ... especially since I went through all the effort of putting the post cat O2 hardware in. I didn’t get the DTC with the stock US tune but do get it pretty quickly with my PCS CSL tune, until I disabled it of course.

Just call it software/electrical engineer OCD to have a non functional system in the car

Comment

So far so good with the codes turned back on and lean/rich thresholds given another 0.05V of leeway. I haven’t driven it a ton but the catalyst efficiency code used to appear pretty quickly.

Comment

Noob question incoming....best tool for this BMW flash, mssflasher, INPA, other? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by ELEM3NT View Post
                      Noob question incoming....best tool for this BMW flash, mssflasher, INPA, other? Thanks in advance.
                      TunerPro combined with the XDFs in @R3Z3N’s sig. mssflasher will correct the screwed up checksum in the binary when you go to flash your changes.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

TunerPro combined with the XDFs in @R3Z3N’s sig. mssflasher will correct the screwed up checksum in the binary when you go to flash your changes.
                        Thanks! Appreciate the info. I'm looking to make the same adjustment but have not used any of these tools to this point.

Comment

I did this for my SS HJS cats, but eventually just turned the post cat O2s off entirely. The light would come back on after longer highway driving and I got bored of messing with it.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                            I did this for my SS HJS cats, but eventually just turned the post cat O2s off entirely. The light would come back on after longer highway driving and I got bored of messing with it.
                            Yep, it doesn’t work. You can go almost as wide as you can on these thresholds and the HJS cats will still throw the code on long highway drives. Anyone who says they have “turned down” the sensors in the tune has just turned off secondary O2 monitoring. They must not get up to a high enough temp on those light load situations when the catalyst testing is running.

Who cares I guess, the catalysts are there and working regardless of the idiot light test. I just pretend it’s a pre-OBD2 car from the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Yep, it doesn’t work. You can go almost as wide as you can on these thresholds and the HJS cats will still throw the code on long highway drives. Anyone who says they have “turned down” the sensors in the tune has just turned off secondary O2 monitoring. They must not get up to a high enough temp on those light load situations when the catalyst testing is running.

Who cares I guess, the catalysts are there and working regardless of the idiot light test. I just pretend it’s a pre-OBD2 car from the 90s.
                              Yeah, it's unfortunate cause I don't love to turn fully off features that could be useful (like you mentioned), but it just wasn't worth my time. My nose can be the cat efficiency light from now on.
                              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X