need advice to fix clear coat defect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
    So I found a guy in my town who's a pro and does work at his house for locals. He said most shops will overcharge because they'd prefer to paint more than necessary, i.e., a whole panel, just to avoid blending. If a guy is good at blending, he can charge less and keep the respray small.

He's actually willing to fix my clear coat issue (tree sap, jelly bean size) for free if I use him to fix my rock chips up front. But he said it'd be 200-300 dollars on it's own. He uses OE (glasurit iirc) paint.
    If he has good recommendations from people you know, and it sounds like he does, then you've got a steal. Pro body shop would charge you 3 to 5x more.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

So, as said above, they only way for a flawless fix is respray. My painter first tried to just respray a tiny area and blend in, but it was a bit obvious. He then sprayed a larger area (from jamb down to moulding up to rubber window seal) and then blended out for perfect color match.

This is the full and expensive way to do it. He said if you simply try to re-clear, you'll always see it and it'll always bother you.

For some, the cheaper and smaller fix might be good enough, but I wanted perfect.

Price is hard to say cause I had other work done. If that was all I needed, it'd probably be like $800-1k.

I'll post a pic at sime point. I may have a "before" close up of the clear coat failure still
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Tbonem3 the suspense is killing me, I need to see the work.

I may want the number, I have the same number of rock chips on my front end as there are stars in the. universe

Comment

Sorry, I have pics just have to find time to upload. You can see my car, now, on IG.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
          X