A/c removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/c removal

Hello all, I got into a front end collision on my mostly track car. Slowly transforming into a car that I only take to the racetrack. Long story short, I blew the a/c radiator and all of its compression. If I remove the a/c completely at the front of the car, is there anything I need to be aware of. Do I need this fan anymore? Am I going to trigger a code on the car? Any advice steering me away from doing this also welcome as I’m kinda on the fence about it Click image for larger version

Name:	09DDA183-C2CE-430F-B9F4-848ECE0FC96F.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	205143

None really, just delete the AC stuff. If you remove the condenser then you can remove all of the fans. It will cool better on track. In fact removing the fans has yielded the largest drop in coolant temps on track. Just need to make sure you do a good cool down, maybe take a lap around the paddock afterwards. BUT...the coolant system won't need as much cool down.

Comment

Think it's obvious/implied, but removing all fans means no airflow when standing still, so the car will overheat in that situation. Worth taking into account if the car is not 100% a track car just yet.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Remove A/C completely, remove the fan, remove the mechanical clutch fan and instead install an aftermarket puller fan with controller. So no overheating in paddock and better fresh air flow on radiator
        2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
        2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
        2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Do you guys do anything to protect your nice radiator from damage? Like rocks

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey_M3 View Post
            Do you guys do anything to protect your nice radiator from damage? Like rocks
            No

Comment

I added 1/4” steel mesh from Home Depot. Spray painted black to make it more stealthy. It’s protected the parts against large debris, and there are only a handful of bent fins due to small stuff that got thru, as of yesterday.

In case you decide to use a fan, I wired my SPAL fan to the aux fan wiring (both stock fans deleted). Works great both on and off the track.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SQ13; 03-16-2023, 03:48 PM.
              Silver Track to Street Car Journal
              Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
                I added 1/4” steel mesh from Home Depot. Spray painted black to make it more stealthy. It’s protected the parts against large debris, and there are only a handful of bent fins due to small stuff that got thru, as of yesterday.

In case you decide to use a fan, I wired my SPAL fan to the aux fan wiring (both stock fans deleted). Works great both on and off the track.
                Doesn't the aux fan controller vary voltage to control speed? If so, the SPAL fan won't vary speed. Its on/off. You are better off installing a temp switch in the upper radiator hose.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Doesn't the aux fan controller vary voltage to control speed? If so, the SPAL fan won't vary speed. Its on/off. You are better off installing a temp switch in the upper radiator hose.
                  Pretty sure it's a PWM controller. Should work fine with the SPAL.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Pretty sure it's a PWM controller. Should work fine with the SPAL.
                    It will work but it won't vary speeds and I don't think it works as intended. I believe there are specific fan models that are designed for variable speed controllers. I had a high output version SPAL fan from the same line that everyone buys. My coolant temps were better ditching the OEM controller and using a manual switch.

Comment

Dare I ask what your recommended parts and controllers are for this. Mishimoto looks easy peasy

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey_M3 View Post
                        Dare I ask what your recommended parts and controllers are for this. Mishimoto looks easy peasy
                        I used a 34mm adapter which you splice into the upper radiator hose. Find a 1/8” NPT switch and connect it to a 12v SPDT relay. You’ll need to ground the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Doesn't the aux fan controller vary voltage to control speed? If so, the SPAL fan won't vary speed. It’s on/off. You are better off installing a temp switch in the upper radiator hose.
                          Honestly I have no idea. I saw that some people were doing that on the old forum, so I did the same thing. Haven’t had any issues with cooling so far.
                          Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                          Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

My SPAL was spliced into the aux controller, by leaving the a/c pressure sensor plugged in, it was variable controlled by ECU.

Comment

Working...
                            X