Inspecting Wheel Studs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post

Probably one of the few jobs that I'd have a shop do. Never again.
    Definitely a worthwhile upgrade when the wheel bearings go bad. That's when i plan on making the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
      To the question: You cannot inspect studs for impending failure - short of having a metallurgy lab (in fact I plan to send my current studs to a University metallurgy lab for inspection - arranged by a friend). As noted earlier - studs are wear items. Change them on a schedule. If you wait for failure - you'll get the failure you were waiting for.

If you beat on studs with an impact wrench, cut your change interval in half.

After looking extensively at all options - I went with MSI. Buy once, cry once.

This is what semi-regular impact wrench beating with no torque stick gets. All of these failed mid-turn with costly damage (not my failure/car). Note the internal corrosion on all of them due to hairline cracks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	G6KWti.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	37930
      The owner didn't do any of his own brake/tire work - so likely both. Shops like fast & easy.

Comment

Definitely a wear item, replace as such. Also a PITA when you have one shear at the track without proper tools to remove

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
          .....Snap On Stud Installer: https://shop.snapon.com/product/MSK-M1215N .....l
          If you are using the bullet nose style wheel studs, the Snap-On stud installer doesn't have a deep enough well. I've reached out to Snap-On's "Submit a Product Idea" group to develop a deep-well version of the stud installer. Fingers crossed. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Feff
          MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post

If you are using the bullet nose style wheel studs, the Snap-On stud installer doesn't have a deep enough well. I've reached out to Snap-On's "Submit a Product Idea" group to develop a deep-well version of the stud installer. Fingers crossed. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Feff
            The need for them to make a special tool for this has me asking a question. Is there something wrong or damaging about using the double nut method?
            2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
            2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
            2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

The need for them to make a special tool for this has me asking a question. Is there something wrong or damaging about using the double nut method?
              For Apex studs the torque to install is only 22-25 ft./lbs. I canโ€™t imagine a double nut is going to distort threads. Itโ€™s so little that if you have the hex head type you will even be fine without double nutting it to get the torque with just the hex socket.

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

The bw race studs spec 70 lb-ft or something like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X