Aero Inspiration - splitters, wings, and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
    I’m running a wing I got from Amazon.com...bought with Hilton Honors points so it cost me $0.00. It’s probably not optimal but it makes a difference. It really made a difference when I chassis mounted the wing. I’m sure there’s a bunch of drag and it won’t impress anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Really eh? The chassis mount made that much of a difference? I always felt for trunk I hopefully wouldn't need it as much. Like when you push down on the trunk there isn't really any play I can feel. Seems to go straight to the suspension. Front 100% needed that bumper will rip right off lol.

Front lip looks great!
    2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
    2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
    2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

Great idea... I'm 50/50 if I'll make the drive down to Houston for the weekend but I'd like to since I haven't done MSR Houston yet. I'd like a closer look at your setup to get some ideas. I love what AJ does, but he does command a high premium!

Do you feel like the trunk mounted wing is solid enough or do you wish you tied it into the chassis?
      I got the impression that AJ took the items off his product list that were not the best design aerodynamically. He just recently took off fender louvers after a windtunnel that showed the race louvers were better. That's my assumption for why he doesn't offer the front lip anymore.

He mentioned to me that his apex 8(8inch cord) produces more downforce then the nine lives 9.5 in cord wing (he didn't directly name them but from what he told me I could clearly assume it was that company). And by the look of the airfoil it looks like it will have minimal drag. Just a well designed airfoil.
      Last edited by SandeepM3; 01-02-2021, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

Really eh? The chassis mount made that much of a difference? I always felt for trunk I hopefully wouldn't need it as much. Like when you push down on the trunk there isn't really any play I can feel. Seems to go straight to the suspension. Front 100% needed that bumper will rip right off lol.

Front lip looks great!
        There are rubber stops which the hinges and bottom of the trunk lid sit on.

But I learned the hard way the front mount points on the trunk lid lift up, they do not push down. Pushing down is one thing...try pulling back on the wing. You’ll get some flex.

Comment

Oh interesting. I'll try that when I get the wing mounted, but just pulling up on that side of the trunk with the edge of my fingers did have some play. So would be much work with some leverage the wing would provide. Damn. I really didn't want to make a chassis mount for the rear. lol

Comment

Front splitter mounting. Old mounts were aluminum which didn’t last. These mounts are steel. Steel plate with a turnbuckle to adjust the height.

Then I used some gas shocks from McMaster-Carr for the sides.

Comment

Safe to assume the foamcore/carbon is stiff enough that is doesn't need anything to stop the front from bending down?

Comment

If you want some inspiration, my colleague is on Instagram as TimeAttackM3 and starting to do some proper mad things with his.

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post
                  Safe to assume the foamcore/carbon is stiff enough that is doesn't need anything to stop the front from bending down?
                  I could get by without support rods on the front but there would be some flex. Mostly because the mounts. You could add more bracing which adds more weight.

Easier and less weight to add the support rods.

Comment

Here are some resources to help you guys get an idea of what works. Aero can be pretty useless or counter productive when done wrong, however, it's not that hard to avoid stupid aero. Perfecting a set up will require some R&D in a tunnel but having an idea of how air flows can put you in the ballpark of the educated. There are some real weird time attack cars out there simple because they didn't research how air flows around cars.

This guy worked for Mercedes F1 team as an aero engineer:
                    Welcome to KYLE.ENGINEERS! Kyle is an ex-F1, PhD professional aerodynamicist, race car consultant, and an amateur racer. In his spare time he makes videos about cars, which is what this channel is all about! For professional aerodynamic or mechanical consultancy for your race car, check out www.jkfaero.com For video requests, please leave a comment on my latest video, or a message on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Kyleengineers/ Swing by the KYLEENGINEERS facebook page as well! Or check out my Instagram for my buggy build! | 5000 Subs - 14th July 2015 | | 7000 Subs - 7th December 2015 | | 10000 Subs - 21st June 2016 | | 15000 Subs - 14th November 2016 | | 20000 Subs - 5th March 2017 | | 40000 Subs - 30th August 2017 | | Working at Mercedes F1 | | 100000 Subs - 7th December 2020 | | 200000 Subs - ???? |

This guy is Australian:
                    I write technical books, mostly on modifying cars. This channel covers some of the topics from my books - aerodynamics, electronics, on-road testing and car suspension. My books are available from Amazon.

This guy is inactive but his channel was basically the means for him getting his degree through his project. It's very educational: https://youtube.com/user/RotaryRebuilder
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Working...
                    X