No announcement yet.

HPDE Organizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mostly do PCA events, largely because my local chapter is cheap ($300-350 for 2 days), relaxed in a reasonably way (not sticklers, but not dangerous), and a lot of track time (some of their events are five 30 min sessions per day, at often the end of the day is just open track for a long period). Also, the fellow drivers are reasonable (give passes promptly, aren't driving dangerously).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Summit Point Main. Oct 2018.

It wasnt the instructor himself, it was pit out and the lead instructor not getting people he needed to grid… after 3 previous wrecks.

I would take a serious second look at TrackDaze and how they conduct an event.

The last HoD event I did (Mid-Atlantic) I found myself behind a guy (maybe the same guy you described!) running in the instructor group. In SEVEN laps I was stuck behind him and couldn't get a point on a bet. Refused - and over-driving his car.

When I went back to the paddock I talked to the HoD leader and his #2, described the driver's behavior and said that I was fairly unhappy and would like it fixed. They went to talk to him, then returned and said that he was a "Special case" and was physically unable to point cars by due to a physical limitation of not being able to get a hand out of the window. WTF?!?! They also made it clear that he was well known within HoD and they were giving him a "pass" on that behavior. In other words - "he knows people in HoD chapter leadership" and would be forgiven no matter what. I asked how he skipped the mandatory pre-8AM Instructor's meeting where his "special case" could be discussed and an alternate passing signal could be arranged for him. Instead he showed up in the paddock at 11:00AM. I just got stares.

Apparently its not what you do - its who you know.

Comment

I don't understand why point bys can't be given by turn signal so we could leave our windows closed. I'd really enjoy heat or AC on track :P
        (and it would address the issue above)

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          I don't understand why point bys can't be given by turn signal so we could leave our windows closed. I'd really enjoy heat or AC on track :P
          Potomac Chesapeake Audi club uses turn signals. They are ridiculed by every other club in the area for it. Makes sense to me, unless the car doesnt have turn signals.

Also some tracks with Audi still require windows down if there is a but in the seat.

Comment

Potomac Chesapeake Audi club uses turn signals. They are ridiculed by every other club in the area for it. Makes sense to me, unless the car doesnt have turn signals.

Also some tracks with Audi still require windows down if there is a but in the seat.

Yeah - ACNA does that. Windows down is usually a track owner requirement for emergency worker access to the driver.

Comment

Do BMW owners even know how to use turn signals? Not all cars have turn signals. Mine doesn’t.

Either way, it’s not about point bys or turn signals…it’s about respect or a lack of for your fellow drivers.

I find it interesting when drivers start in point by anywhere groups. You’ll get point bys in odd places. If I’m behind someone, I expect the car in front to give me a pass when they are comfortable and under control. Doesn’t have to be immediately…also don’t need to blast down 2+ straights.

But if you give me a point by…I’m going to take it. If you point me on the inside of a corner, I’m sticking my nose in there and likely coming out a little sideways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                Do BMW owners even know how to use turn signals? Not all cars have turn signals. Mine doesn’t.

Either way, it’s not about point bys or turn signals…it’s about respect or a lack of for your fellow drivers.

I find it interesting when drivers start in point by anywhere groups. You’ll get point bys in odd places. If I’m behind someone, I expect the car in front to give me a pass when they are comfortable and under control. Doesn’t have to be immediately…also don’t need to blast down 2+ straights.

But if you give me a point by…I’m going to take it. If you point me on the inside of a corner, I’m sticking my nose in there and likely coming out a little sideways.

Yeah its concerning how many clubs put you into a pass anywhere situation without any instruction into where its appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                  My local track (TMP Cayuga) allows that, but it's also a sketchy track. I just go when it's quiet on a weekday, I'd never go on weekends. Quite nice when I'm doing warm-up or cool-down laps, AC goes on and its so nice

Comment

Potomac Chesapeake Audi club uses turn signals. They are ridiculed by every other club in the area for it.
                    Same up here with the local Audi Club chapter. Everyone eyerolls about it.
                    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I did one Audi club event a decade ago, but everyone was so slow that I never wanted to do another.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

The problem with turn signals is if you forget to cancel it, enter a turn and the car behind still thinks it’s OK to pass and dive bombs the inside.

Comment

The problem with turn signals is if you forget to cancel it, enter a turn and the car behind still thinks it’s OK to pass and dive bombs the inside.

I’ve done 7 events with turn signals and never experienced this. Not saying it doesn’t happen though.

Being able to keep both hands on the wheel is a big plus IMO. And generally people give shitty point bys anyway at anything over 100mph.

If you ever aspire to do run hpde or nring in europe they use turn signals.

Comment

Is it turn signal only at these events? I deleted the turn signal wiring, stalk and ground off the mounting point on the steering column. I’d be unable to drive in an event that requires turn signals.

Just curious since I want to start driving new tracks with different DE orgs.

Comment

Is it turn signal only at these events? I deleted the turn signal wiring, stalk and ground off the mounting point on the steering column. I’d be unable to drive in an event that requires turn signals.

Just curious since I want to start driving new tracks with different DE orgs.

if you don’t have turn signals they let you use point bys.

Comment

It truly gets on my nerves when groups don’t clearly define the passing zones AND the proper side for passing in those individual zones. It gets in my nerves further when “new zones” open up (this isn’t so bad) or the drivers are told pass when they feel like they can get it done. This is a plague of “advanced intermediate” or even intermediate groups in some organizations, and why, IMHO, you see the most track incidents in these groups.

The advanced drivers are more familiar with racing etiquette and know who owns which part of the track if you go in side by side and the proper track out positions etc to allow for passing in turns. The guy in the Lizard Green GT3 RS who has some general track experience, but not a lot of [insert track] experience is sometimes a danger in this situation and will chop off your nose 9/10 times. I can’t prove that statistic, but it sounds about right…

2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                                [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Working...
                                X