Slonik CF roof on E90 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slonik CF roof on E90 M3

My E90 track car is a stripper with DCT as its only option. This means I’m one of the lucky few to have an E90 slicktop vs the sunroof version.

For whatever reason BMW did not make the E90 with a CF roof. They acknowledged the error of their ways in the F80 and now the G80 gets the CF roof standard on the 4 door M. So everyone is in on the party except the E90! We must fix this!

I’ve considered switching the roof to CF for a long time but wasn’t willing to pull the trigger until I heard Slonik (www.instagram.com/slon_workshop/?hl=en) was building one. Aftermarket CF tends to look ok in pics but in person it looks like garbage. I’ve never been able to put aftermarket CF on my car… until now

Anyway, here it is! I went for a bigger than stock weave (large twill weave) so it has a more defined look vs the OEM look. It reminds me a bit of the M2 CS roof panel vs the E9X’s.
    -Vacuum infusion with post-curing
    -Installed with the same structural glue BMW recommends for the F8X roof
    -Options – oem look plain weave, small or large size twill wave. Any other options on request
    -Weight loss of 16lb (7kg) in slicktop cars and 55lb (25kg) in sunroof cars
    -Part weight: 8lb (3.7kg)
    -Optional antenna hole (or you can cut it yourself with the template). I went for the more aerodynamic no antenna
    -Covered with special protective polyurethane primer and 3 layers of high quality sikkens polyurethane clearcoat lacquer (you can polish it a few times without respraying)
    -It also gives some additional torsional rigidity (small figures, but glued carbon is more rigid than spot welded steel)
    E46 M3 18500
    E46 M3 CSL 18750

Pics comparing to E92

Closeup of the weave

Pics showing install
    To install you basically cut out the front and rear glass hoping not to break them. Then you cut out the roof, prepare the surfaces, glue the CF one in.
    If your car was a slicktop the reinforcements are in place, but if it was a sunroof car you need to weld in a replacement, or you can glue in a CF reinforcement piece Slonik has
    If the body is scratched then it may rust, so anything that gets scratched must be passivated before installing the roof or the glass

In my ‘before’ pics you can see I have a vinyl wrap on the roof as well as a Bimmerworld banner. My front glass had a 16” crack in it but it didn’t break removing it. Of course this was replaced with new OEM BMW glass during the reinstall

Before:

Front glass out:

Rear glass out:

Spot welds getting drilled out

Headliner removed

Car has no glass! Weight reduction FTW!

Test fit the CF roof

After gluing the roof you do the front and rear glass

You let the car sit for a couple days for the glue to dry and voila, CF roof on an E90!

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 02-01-2021, 06:26 AM.

That larger weave looks great! Did the curing require any weighing the panel down or simply let it cure like a windshield?

Comment

Very nice!
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
      Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
      Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerteknik View Post
        That larger weave looks great! Did the curing require any weighing the panel down or simply let it cure like a windshield?
        It was like a windshield. The weighing was only for the side rails which are springy and have to be glued down
        Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 01-21-2021, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

I love the e90m3, it looks so great. Beautiful car.
            E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
            Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Thanks for the write up and review. Seeing these installs really helps to understand what's involved, so appreciate you taking the time to post this.

Currently talking with Slonik/Slon Workshop about their E46 roof. May end up going with their CF roof bow.

QQ: My assumption is you do NOT use structural adhesive on the roof bow? Do you only use caulking/silicone there?

My line of thinking is that you want the roof to expand & contract (in particular, in sunlight) and if you glue down the roof to the center bow, you'd have potential warping issues. I could be thinking about this completely wrong, but was planning on only use the glue on the outer perimeter of the CF roof.

On the flip side of that thought, I could see where tying in the roof to that center section would help with torsional rigidity to some extent. Likely marginal, but...
              Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 11-14-2021, 08:00 AM.
              Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                  Thanks for the write up and review. Seeing these installs really helps to understand what's involved, so appreciate you taking the time to post this.

Currently talking with Slonik/Slon Workshop about their E46 roof. May end up going with their CF roof bow.

QQ: My assumption is you do NOT use structural adhesive on the roof bow? Do you only use caulking/silicone there?

My line of thinking is that you want the roof to expand & contract (in particular, in sunlight) and if you glue down the roof to the center bow, you'd have potential warping issues. I could be thinking about this completely wrong, but was planning on only use the glue on the outer perimeter of the CF roof.

On the flip side of that thought, I could see where tying in the roof to that center section would help with torsional rigidity to some extent. Likely marginal, but...
                  Yup, used silicone/caulk on the roof bow

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                    Looking good!
                    Thanks BigJae!!

Comment

Originally posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Yup, used silicone/caulk on the roof bow
                      Appreciate it!

Comment

Ordered one of these roofs in this exact weave today. Super stoked. 🤘🤙

Also picked up one of Slon-Workshop's carbon fiber roof bows. Can't flipping wait!

Slonik has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. He's one chill dude making some incredible products!

Comment

Also picked up one of Slon-Workshop's carbon fiber roof bows. Can't flipping wait!
                          Please document the install! Super interested in the cf roof bow part of it.
                          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Please document the install! Super interested in the cf roof bow part of it.
                            Will do! I'm assembling parts and pieces for a big transformation of the car. Will post more in another thread so as not to take away from this one.

But the carbon bar is about 1/4 the weight of the steel piece. Really excited to get Sloniks carbon fiber components and start the install!! I know it may take some time to arrive, will need to exercise patience...
                            Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 11-19-2021, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Will do! I'm assembling parts and pieces for a big transformation of the car. Will post more in another thread so as not to take away from this one.

But the carbon bar is about 1/4 the weight of the steel piece. Really excited to get Sloniks carbon fiber components and start the install!! I know it may take some time to arrive, will need to exercise patience...
                              Also very interested in your experience with Slonik. Considering their roof/hood/fenders for my track car. Looking forward to a build thread 👍.

Comment

Working...
                              X