X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terra
    replied

Originally posted by CaptainPunPants
    It failed with that option checked AND unchecked. When it succeeded with the old KCAN cable, it was unchecked.

I'm starting to suspect the new cable might be spotty. But I'm also hesitant to try an unnecessary flash with the old cable to test that hypothesis.
    Martin was instructing omhl, your problem is something else.

Playing around with K-line mode on my bench, it does seem like there might be an issue somewhere there, though tracking it down is proving to be tough. I think part of the issue might be that K-line mode seems to be straight up faster than D-CAN mode for this purpose. Will see if I can tweak some settings to get it to work a bit better.

Edit: So using the FTDI driver to access the cable instead of the virtual COM port seems to work better. Does suggest it's a speed / timing issue.

Leave a comment:

• Martyn
    replied
    You just need to tick 'force program programming in comfort mode' in WinKFP.

Leave a comment:

• omhl
    replied
    ahh i see.

seems like Winkfp (update) does the same thing. So if I was already on 241E seems like most programs out there like winkfp and autologic etc will only write the tune portion of it. Just a PSA if anybody is wondering.
    Now I'm wondering how to force a full program reset. Maybe I have to downgrade and then upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• terra
    replied
    Originally posted by omhl View Post
    Just for fun I went back to 241E program with autologic. It seems like I don't need a RSA bypass despite going back to stock?
    When I try RSA bypass, it says the full read after autologic was not stock.

I could go straight into flashing my tune and car starts up okay. Is the RSA bypass somewhat permanent?
    Did the autologic do a full program write or did it just rewrite the tune? Full program write should disable the RSA bypass. Tune write will not.

Leave a comment:

• omhl
    replied
    Just for fun I went back to 241E program with autologic. It seems like I don't need a RSA bypass despite going back to stock?
    When I try RSA bypass, it says the full read after autologic was not stock.

I could go straight into flashing my tune and car starts up okay. Is the RSA bypass somewhat permanent?

Leave a comment:

• terra
    replied
    Okay, so definitely a K-line car and there's nothing even going to the CAN-pins to cause an issue. Could be a bad cable, hard to say with certainty. I'll run some tests tonight and see if I can figure anything out.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainPunPants
    replied
    Just took a look. Only populated pins on the vehicle connector are 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 16. All others don't even have wire receptacles.

Leave a comment:

• terra
    replied
    Hmm that’s a tough one, I’ll try to replicate.

Does your OBDII port have anything going to pins 6 and 14?

Leave a comment:

• CaptainPunPants
    replied
    Oh yeah, failed to specify that. Can confirm, both cables had the latency timer set to 1ms.

Leave a comment:

• terra
    replied
    So something is failing when it's trying to write to the external flash. To be honest I haven't messed with the slow RSA delete too much so maybe I missed something there, so I'll double check that.

In the mean time, I'd double check that your cable's latency is set to 1ms in device manager - especially since your old cable worked with WinKFP (since you have an 06 car the Bimmergeeks cable isn't strictly necessary, but it's still good to have around for newer cars or if you end up doing a bench flash using the D-CAN pins directly).

Leave a comment:

• CaptainPunPants
    replied
    Hey all. Just got done attempting this with an 06 M5. Short version: semi-bricked at RSA bypass, un-bricked in WinKFP with some headaches/sweating.

Used the Bimmergeeks pro cable (with the switch) and a Deutronic DBL430 set at 13.6V.

Before getting the cable, I successfully did a full read with my old K+DCAN cable (had an adapter instead of a switch bridging pins 7+8). I backed up the ~5MB binary file and tune.
    Created copies of the binary, loaded into the binary modification tool, it recognized. Purchased a single-VIN license, created some modified binaries to test it out.

The bimmergeeks cable arrived, and I started with an attempt to read the ISN. It failed (as expected), and recommended the RSA bypass. I attempted the slow version (since I have no experience outside of diagnostics and coding).
    Failed after erasing the ECU: "Failed to set flash address @ 0x450000" (image attached).

The ECU would still identify in WinKFP, and attempt to flash. However, the flash was failing to take last night. Partway though the process, it would cycle out of flash mode and abort. Usually citing a security access error when trying to switch programming mode. Checked in ISTA+ afterward, and it would load the module tree and list the DME as blue (ECU with aborted flash).

Tried the Bimmergeeks cable this morning, with the toggle switch in the other positon. The flash took, so I foolishly decided that was the problem.

Tried the RSA bypass (slow) again, and got the same error (failed to set flash address). That's the image below (I didn't take a screen shot last night, but I believe it failed at exactly the same point).

Tried WinKFP again, and I could NOT get it to take the flash. It would keep getting error 211, usually citing a security access problem prior to aborting the flash, at varying percentages (never failing at the same point).

Finally ran it with my old K+DCAN cable today, and it flashed successfully. The car is back where it started now, un-bricked and running.

I haven't tried the MSS6x flasher with the old K+DCAN cable, as I'm not sure if it has the proper EDIABAS firmware. (I paid a premium for it in ~2011 or 2012, it's listed as INPA compatible on the label). While my car is old enough to (probably) not be subject to the bug, I wasn't ready to take the risk ("not thoroughly tested" was enough to convince me to shell out for a 2nd cable).

Have I stupidly failed to properly set something up for the RSA bypass? Or is it possible I just got a spotty interface cable?

Click image for larger version  Name:	RSA_bypass_slow_error.png Views:	0 Size:	19.5 KB ID:	20119
    Last edited by CaptainPunPants; 05-02-2020, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1984M3
    replied
    Thanks again terra! For now, just updated ecu software to 241E. Verified the before and after using your application. Will take a full read later on.

Leave a comment:

• MSSAddict
    replied
    I got a response from bimmergeek by email
    If it helps someone who receives their cable,
    Martyn Thanks to you too who helped me on Facebook,
    terra Thank you so much for helping our little community
    Last edited by MSSAddict; 04-30-2020, 03:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MSSAddict
    replied
    terra Hi✌️
    thank You very Much 🙏

Leave a comment:

• terra
    replied
    If your car was built before September 2009 it shouldn't matter. If it was built after that, communications will work in one position and won't work in the other position. So pick the one it works with.

Or if you have a multimeter, check the continuity between pins 7 and 8. You'll want the position where there is no continuity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X