Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah, failed to specify that. Can confirm, both cables had the latency timer set to 1ms.

Comment

Hmm that’s a tough one, I’ll try to replicate.

Does your OBDII port have anything going to pins 6 and 14?

Comment

Just took a look. Only populated pins on the vehicle connector are 1, 4, 5, 7, 9, and 16. All others don't even have wire receptacles.

Comment

Okay, so definitely a K-line car and there's nothing even going to the CAN-pins to cause an issue. Could be a bad cable, hard to say with certainty. I'll run some tests tonight and see if I can figure anything out.

Comment

Just for fun I went back to 241E program with autologic. It seems like I don't need a RSA bypass despite going back to stock?
            When I try RSA bypass, it says the full read after autologic was not stock.

I could go straight into flashing my tune and car starts up okay. Is the RSA bypass somewhat permanent?

Comment

Originally posted by omhl View Post
              Just for fun I went back to 241E program with autologic. It seems like I don't need a RSA bypass despite going back to stock?
              When I try RSA bypass, it says the full read after autologic was not stock.

I could go straight into flashing my tune and car starts up okay. Is the RSA bypass somewhat permanent?
              Did the autologic do a full program write or did it just rewrite the tune? Full program write should disable the RSA bypass. Tune write will not.

Comment

ahh i see.

seems like Winkfp (update) does the same thing. So if I was already on 241E seems like most programs out there like winkfp and autologic etc will only write the tune portion of it. Just a PSA if anybody is wondering.
                Now I'm wondering how to force a full program reset. Maybe I have to downgrade and then upgrade.

Comment

You just need to tick 'force program programming in comfort mode' in WinKFP.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainPunPants
                    It failed with that option checked AND unchecked. When it succeeded with the old KCAN cable, it was unchecked.

I'm starting to suspect the new cable might be spotty. But I'm also hesitant to try an unnecessary flash with the old cable to test that hypothesis.
                    Martin was instructing omhl, your problem is something else.

Playing around with K-line mode on my bench, it does seem like there might be an issue somewhere there, though tracking it down is proving to be tough. I think part of the issue might be that K-line mode seems to be straight up faster than D-CAN mode for this purpose. Will see if I can tweak some settings to get it to work a bit better.

Edit: So using the FTDI driver to access the cable instead of the virtual COM port seems to work better. Does suggest it's a speed / timing issue.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Martin was instructing omhl, your problem is something else.
                      My apologies, Martyn. I'm a bit slow on the uptake today...

Comment

Minor Update (Now Version 1.0.0.3)

Changes:
                        • The application will now default to using the D2XX Driver instead of the Virtual COM Port. This seems to be more stable for K-line mode communications, should not cause any regressions for other cars
                          • In this mode, the settings you have in device manager (COM port, latency, etc) shouldn't matter.
                          • If you wish to go back to the Virtual COM Mode, Edit the "MSS6x Flasher.exe.config" so that "Port" is set to the COM port you desire (default is now "FTDI0")
                          • Note: This will probably not work properly if you have multiple FTDI devices connected at the same time. If you have multiple FTDI devices, you can try to select the specific device you want using the instructions under "FTDI D2XX Properties" here
                        • Eliminated the slow RSA bypass. Just seemed to create confusion.
                        • Made some changes so that if one of the stages during a flash process fails, the program doesn't try to perform the subsequent steps.
                        CaptainPunPants - Might be worth trying this version out with either of your cables.

Comment

First thank`s for this wonderful app !

Question: Would it be also possible to use a ICOM instead of Bimmergeeks Interaface ?

and for Beginners another Question:

I have an original 2007 M5, not tuned.

So the first i made, was, to press button "Read full Flash" ,with standard-cable D-Can. The complete reading process took approx 60 minutes. Now there are two files saved, one "full" and one "tune".
                          After that, i successfuly loaded the "full-file" to Binary Modification Tool".

So that`s it, i`v done so far.

Now please give me help/correction:

1. First to be able to save ISN, I have to flash DME with "Flash RSA Bypass" (only with edibasLib - Cable)
                          2. Saving ISN

so far it is clear, but then...

3. After step 2, i`ll have to press button "Read full Flash" again ? The bypassed full-file will now be saved on pc. ?
                          4. Now i have to load this bypassed full-file to Binary Modification Tool, change values and load it back to MSS6x-Flasher. ?
                          5. So what is to do ? do i have to press Button "flash Tune" or "flash Program" ? I don`t know the difference between these functions. With Binary Modification Tool, it`s not possible to load the tune-file, only full.

sorry for asking, but i`m not familiar with tuning a DME , so please can anybody make step by step guide ?
                          Last edited by Lucky; 05-04-2020, 02:09 AM.

Comment

To be able to save the ISN, yes, you have to flash the RSA bypass.

Now honestly, it's not as critical to back that up on an M5 for a few reasons.
                            1) A "virgin" DME can be synced with the CAS and get the ISN back that way
                            2) Even if your DME did brick, it's not BDM locked, so the ISN can always be recovered that way.

Extracting the ISN from the DME is more useful if you need to replace the CAS module for whatever reason.

Anyway -

You don't necessarily have to read the full flash again unless you want that backup to have the ISN within that full flash file. You could just copy the ISN to the correct location with a hex editor.

If you're just making modifications to your tune (maps, error codes, etc), you only need to flash tune, and that will not require you do an RSA delete at all. If you're getting more into the code modification side of things, then you'll be messing with flash program, and that does require the RSA delete.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

If you're just making modifications to your tune (maps, error codes, etc), you only need to flash tune, and that will not require you do an RSA delete at all. If you're getting more into the code modification side of things, then you'll be messing with flash program, and that does require the RSA delete.
                              does that mean, i have only to load the original full-file (stock-file) in Binary Modification Tool, then for example i set checkmark to "Vmax Limit Removal" - and then it`s enough to flash only the tune ? no RSA-bypass requiered for this action ?
                              Last edited by Lucky; 05-04-2020, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post

does that mean, i have to load the full-file in Binary Modification Tool, then for example i set checkmark to "Vmax Limit Removal" - and then it`s enough to flash only the tune ?
                                Yep, that should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X