X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSS6x Flasher - Now released!

MSS6x Flasher

MSS6x Flasher.png

This is a free application that can be used to read and write to the Siemens MSS60 and MSS65 DMEs found in the MY2008 - 2013 BMW M3, 2006 - 2010 BMW M5, and 2006 - 2010 M6. This application may also be compatible with specialty vehicles that also use this DME, such as the BMW Motorsport M3, however that is untested.

Requirements:
    • A computer or virtual machine with .NET Framework 4.5 – I believe this means Windows 7 or newer. There may be hacks to get .NET 4.5 to work on earlier versions of Windows, but I cannot confirm their reliability.
    • A functional Ediabas install. Or at the very least, the following files
      • 10Flash.prg
      • MS_S65, MS_S65_2, MS_S65_3, or MSS60.prg (for this application’s purposes, any of those files are sufficient for both the MSS60 and MSS65)
      • If you only have the PRGs and no ediabas install, you will have to make some changes to the included config file
    • An OBDII – USB interface
      • All E9x M3s and 2008+ M5s will require a K+D-CAN cable that is flashed with the EdiabasLib firmware. Bimmergeeks sells preflashed cables for a reasonable price. Without this type of cable, a DME brick is guaranteed.
      • 2006-2007 M5s should work with a standard K-line interface, however this has not been thoroughly tested.

Functionality:
    • Ability to read and write tunes and program code
      • An RSA bypass must be flashed to write custom tunes/programs on the MSS60 and custom programs on the MSS65 (this application will do that)
    • Ability to read the ISN (MSS65) / EWS Secret Key (MSS60) over OBDII
      • ISN requires an RSA Bypass to be written first
      • This means a full backup can be made entirely over OBDII
    • Ability to dump RAM
    • Automatic checksum correction for flashed tunes and programs

Safety:
    • The software will verify that binaries loaded are in the correct format and order
    • The software will verify that programs being written match the hardware you’re trying to flash, and will verify all tunes being written match the software you’re trying to flash
    • If the tune or program are not stock, the program will make sure you have an RSA delete before continuing (you can override this warning, but the flash will likely fail if you don’t have an RSA delete that I couldn’t detect
    • The program will not let you flash an RSA bypass if the binary being loaded doesn’t match the software variant you are currently on

Performance:
    • Backup tune in < 5 minutes
    • Full backup 45-60 minutes
      • 2 hours in long mode
    • Flash tune in approximately 1 minute
    • Flash full program in ~10-12 minutes
    • Flash RSA bypass in ~15 minutes
    Getting Started:
    • The application defaults to assuming your cable is on COM1. Make sure your port is setup correctly and your cable’s latency is set to 1ms in device manager
    • The application assumes your Ediabas PRG files are stored in C:\Ediabas\Ecu
    • The application assumes you will be using MS_S65.prg for reading and 10Flash.prg for writing
    • If you would like to change any of these settings, you can do so in the included .config file

First Time Use (MSS60):
    • Before the application lets you do anything, it has to identify what it is connected to. Connect the cable to your car and computer and hit the "Identify DME button". Now more button and menus should be active
    • Read a full dump from your DME. After it is done, full backup as well as a copy of your tune will be saved in a folder with the last 7 digits of your VIN. Keep that backup in a safe location.
      • Reads are in the Galletto V54 format if you are using any software that requires you to specify format
    • Click load file, and select the full dump (5120KB) you just made
    • Click Advanced and pick one of the RSA bypass options

Advanced Menu.jpg
      • Both slow and fast options are acceptable. Slow takes about 20 minutes instead of closer to 10.
      • If using a bad cable, fast will be a guaranteed permanent brick
    • After that process is done, you’ll be prompted to flash your tune. You could click “flash tune” now to flash back what was already there, or if you already have a modified file you want to flash, you can load that now
    • That’s pretty much it, you can now flash tunes and programs to your DME as you please

First Time Use (MSS65):
    • If you just want to flash tunes, then simply make a backup of your existing tune, modify whatever you want, and flash that back to the DME. That’s it – no patches, bypasses, etc needed.
    • If you want to tinker with low level code and mess with the program itself, then you will need to flash the RSA bypass like the MSS60 instructions above

Frequently Asked Questions:

What is RSA and why do you need to bypass it?
    RSA is an asymmetric encryption algorithm that is used in many industries to establish secure exchange of information. BMW uses it to validate tunes and code sent to the DME. Essentially BMW signs a tune or program with an encryption key that only they know. The DME can then decrypt this signature with a decryption key it has stored in memory. If a single bit in the tune or program changes, the signature is no longer valid and the DME will refuse to authenticate the program.

RSA is a secure algorithm, and for the MSS60 and MSS65, BMW uses a large enough key that it is impossible to find the key ourselves with today’s computing power. So instead we have to exploit vulnerabilities in the authentication scheme, which is what the patch this program installs does.

Why do I need a special cable? Isn’t my regular K+D-CAN cable good enough?
    Unfortunately no. The K+DCAN cable (originally distributed by one-stop electronics and subsequently cloned by many Chinese manufacturers over the years) is a clever device that basically takes K-line messages that older BMWs used and translates them into the D-CAN format for use on 2008+ BMWs. This allowed existing software to continue working without having to rewrite anything. Unfortunately, the firmware that was developed by One-stop electronics has a bug that causes some modules on the PT-CAN bus and all modules on the MOST-bus to be programmed with erroneous data. This phenomenon was first described by Mike Benvo in 2012, where he found every 253rd byte is junk data. To my knowledge, they have yet to acknowledge the bug or issue updated firmware. So we have to replace it ourselves or buy a pre-flashed cable.

In the case of flashing the MSS6x DMEs, we are relying on some code verification mistakes that Siemens made in order to load our custom tunes and programs onto the DMEs. A side effect of relying on a verification mistake is that you lose your safety net for when junk data does actually get written. This can result in your DME no longer booting.

To add insult to injury, 2008 and newer build M3s cannot be recovered because BMW/Siemens disabled the debug port on one of the CPUs. Until the ability to unlock that port is discovered, any such DMEs that stop booting become permanent bricks.

Is there anything I can do safely with a standard cable?
    The read functionality of the application should be safe. So if you want to make a full backup, read your secret key, or dump RAM before your new cable arrives, that should be okay.

I didn’t listen to you about your cable, flashed my DME, and now my car won’t start. What do I do now?
    Well first of all try to see if you’re able to access it in tool32 at all. If the ident job works, then your DME can most likely be recovered. Get your hands on the proper cable and reflash your DME with WinKFP. Your DME should be recovered and should be okay to go from there

If the DME doesn’t even respond to an ident job in tool32, then unfortunately that most likely means the bootloader on your DME got erased / corrupt.

If you have an M5/M6 or a 2007 build M3, then you can recover with the use of a BDM flasher. There are several available out there. You should be able to restore your DME with the full backup that you hopefully made. If you did not make a full backup, then you can probably still recover things reasonably well, but we’ll just have to piece a few different binaries together.

If you have a 2008+ build M3, then you need to get a new DME. Hopefully you will have made a full backup already, or at least your EWS4 secret key. If you get an MSS60 built in 2007, then you can use a BDM tool to restore the full backup from your original DME onto the replacement. The car should start afterwards.

If you can’t find a 2007 DME, then you can still make things work with a newer DME, but it becomes a little more complicated. Plug the new DME into the car, and recover the EWS Secret Key from that DME. Now you need to burn that key into your car’s CAS module. I do not have instructions on how to do that, but there are various individuals and vendors out there who should be able to do the match for you. If you’re having difficulty reaching someone, send me a message and I will try to find someone for you.

With all that noted, those of you who have been following my other posts may have noted that I’ve been doing research on how to unlock the BDM ports on the newer DMEs. I believe it is possible and will post instructions on how to do so if/when I figure it out. However even when it does become possible, clearing the lock will erase the entire flash of your DME – so make sure you make a backup of your DME before doing anything else.

Edit: I have now successfully unlocked a 2008+ DME, which means your original data can be cloned onto any MSS60, not just an early model. I'm still work trying to work out a way to make the process easy, but at least we know it's possible now.

Do you have any map packs or XDFs?
    I do not at this time. It is my hope that with the release of a free application compatible with off the shelf hardware, there will be more interested parties looking into these DMEs and trying to figure things out for the sake of improving the state of community knowledge. MartynT of ECUWorx makes some excellent software that help you with some simpler tweaks to your DME.

Acknowledgements:
    • This application would not be possible without EdiabasLib by uholeschak; you should check out the project here if you have any interest in BMW communications protocols
    • Chris325ix aka Hassmaschine aka nando for helping me get started with DME disassembly
    • All the testers who helped me out during the beta phase and gave me some great feedback and ideas
      • If you would like to be specifically named, just let me know and I'm happy to list you here
    • @Obioban and liam821, without whom this new forum would likely not exist.
    • The original M3F DME crew, which got me interested in all this stuff in the first place
    Disclosures:
    • This application was built using GPL libraries, EdiabasLib in particular, and is therefore also bound by the GPLv3 license. As such, source code is available to binary holder who requests a copy.
    • I have no financial interests at this time in relation to ECU tuning, hacking, cracking, development, or disassembly.
    • I have no financial relationships with any of the vendors or individuals mentioned in this post

Disclaimer:
    This program is inherently invasive, and can render your DME unbootable and unrecoverable, as well as your car undriveable. Engine damage may occur as a result of this application's use. Care must be taken when using this application. In no respect shall nam3forum, m3forum.us, this program's authors or contributors incur any liability for any damages, including, but limited to, direct, indirect, special, or consequential damages arising out of, resulting from, or any way connected to the use of the application, whether or not based upon warranty, contract, tort, or otherwise; whether or not injury was sustained by persons or property or otherwise; and whether or not loss was sustained from, or arose out of, the results of, the item, or any services that may be provided by the authors and contributors.

Edit: Github link - https://github.com/terraphantm/MSS6x-Flasher
    Attached Files

I'm happy to try this Mirza, I have a bench MSS65, and one in my vehicle I have a bench MSS60 here too.
    Last edited by Martyn; 04-13-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

This looks awesome. Unfortunately my E9X M3s are 2011 and 2013!

Good to hear from you terra !!! Long time no see

Comment

🙋‍♂️ I'm all stock (well...just AFE intake)
        17 iO1 i3
        16 F22 M235i
        08 E93 M3
        04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

Awesome

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Interested, I have a few M5s. PM sent.

Comment

Cool, I'll send out PMs shortly. Just converting my DME back into an MSS65 to make sure I didn't break anything while fixing things up for the MSS60.

Comment

Sent out PMs to those who expressed interest

Originally posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
                This looks awesome. Unfortunately my E9X M3s are 2011 and 2013!

Good to hear from you terra !!! Long time no see
                Yeah so the application will work on even later MSS60s, it's just there's no recovery options should something drastically go wrong. I don't *think* there are any permabrick bugs left in the application, but I'll feel more comfortable about that when I have a few people with recoverable DMEs confirming that they did not have to recover anything.

Comment

Bravo! Much faster than KessV2! Love to try it but my MSS60 (from MY 2011) is not BDM accessible so I'll have to restrain myself..

I wanted to ask whether the MSS65 flashed with MSS60 code will run the S65 engine? I know this has been discussed before but I do not recall if anyone actually went the distance and tried it.

Comment

I have a friend with an e60 m5 who’s interested!

Comment

Originally posted by Dash1 View Post
                      I have a friend with an e60 m5 who’s interested!
                      Cool - is he willing to sign up and get in touch with me?

Comment

Interested in testing too! I've got a MSS60 in the garage and have a good bit of experience with BDM flashing/recovery if necessary. I have a bench setup as well. Please PM me details!

Comment

Originally posted by snowcarver View Post
                          Interested in testing too! I've got a MSS60 in the garage and have a good bit of experience with BDM flashing/recovery if necessary. I have a bench setup as well. Please PM me details!
                          Sent you a PM.

And for everyone who has the app, please give me some feedback as soon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post

Cool - is he willing to sign up and get in touch with me?
                            Yes, I'll pm you when he's signed up

Comment

I've successfully read read out partial and fulls from my bench MSS65 with this with no issues. I have flashed back modified partials with no issues over CAN so far (using a Bimmergeeks cable).

Comment

Working...
                              X