Proper Valve Cover Gasket installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper Valve Cover Gasket installation

What is the correct valve cover gasket installation technique? Where on the half moons should you apply RTV? On my 3rd Elring VCG in 20,000 miles, ordered BMW OEM VCG want to do this for the last time.

Elring gasket might be your problem. Don't use RTV - use Drei Bond. Apply just a dab where it meets the front cover.
    BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

What Drei bond should be used - the non hardening type?

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post
        Elring gasket might be your problem. Don't use RTV - use Drei Bond. Apply just a dab where it meets the front cover.
        So leave the half moons untouched? Have a nasty leak from them right now.

Comment

OEM gasket.

Toyoyta FIPG on the crack where the VANOS and the head meet, nowhere else.

Red scotchbrite pad on both surfaces.

No leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Code7rpd View Post
            What Drei bond should be used - the non hardening type?

​​​​​
            Originally posted by Kdubski View Post

So leave the half moons untouched? Have a nasty leak from them right now.
            Could be the gasket, but you can apply some drei bond there too.

BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
              OEM gasket.

No leaks.
              This is exactly what I've done too, no leaks.

I will add that you want to apply a very thin layer of fipg, if it squeezes out the sides of the gasket after torquing, you used too much.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                OEM gasket.

No leaks.
                Same, but with good ol' RTV and Elring gasket. No leaks. 2nd one too. Gonna do it again on other S54 soon.
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Wasn't there discussion back on m3f that Elring was the OEM for the valve cover gasket?

Just a data point:
                  I used a Victor Reinz VCG, small dabs of RTV at the corners of the half moons and the VANOS-head joint. No leaks.

Comment

I don't know if we ever learned who the real maker of the VCG is. Don't think it's elring, though elring is an OEM for other OE parts on BMWs.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Dabbed some high temp RTV on corners of half moons and where the VANOS mounts. First VC gasket leaked but second OEM didn't. Pay attention to the tabs that go in the sides of the cover, they need to be seated flush.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Comment

i went through this, and learned the hard way there is nothing you can do but buy OE

I bought an original item, put it on with no RTV other than at the VANOS joint and it is bone dry. is also KEY you replace the grommets, they are the ones that clamp down the gasket

Alternatively, if you are cheap, you can add two washers so there is enough clamping force to press the seal, but the elRing gasket is not to par.
                        Last edited by maupineda; 04-23-2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

This is one of those areas where non OE BMW often gives issues.

I use an OE BMW gasket without any sealant, haven’t had any leaks over 300,000 miles of e46 M3 ownership 😜

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I'm at a loss of words! Pulled off the VCG, no resistance! Like just the weight of it was holding it down. I remember when I first did it, it required force to pry up! Bigger shocker, oil in the spark plug tubes! Not much but its noticeable.

This is less than 5k miles since install. Followed TIS to a T so I know it was installed correct (even retorqued after few hundred miles).

Comment

glad this popped up. i did mine about 2 years ago (only like 1000 miles) but its leaking like crazy in the back. need to redo the whole thing and reference this thread

Comment

Working...
                              X