Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine ticking - what's normal and what's not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qhrjsdl View Post

What did you get it done? I have similar issue on my Z4M
    Make a video, so we can listen.
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

In my previous car (10th gen civic SI), the injectors on that engine would make ticking sounds that were completely normal. Every L15 I've heard exhibits the same sound...still drove me nuts

not saying it's the same thing but just something to think about

2017 Honda civic si engine noise and comparison. First one is my car which has 600 miles but sounded like this from the get go and gets louder as the rpms i...

/// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Sounds totally normal to my ear. Both my current S54s sound the same.
        BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

I noticed immediately after installing SS V1s, the valvetrain sound seemed to be amplified compared to Megan headers. It's annoying but not abnormal. Look up an N20 cold start. It sounds like it's going to blow up. Most BMW engines are loud.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
            I noticed immediately after installing SS V1s, the valvetrain sound seemed to be amplified compared to Megan headers. It's annoying but not abnormal. Look up an N20 cold start. It sounds like it's going to blow up. Most BMW engines are loud.
            Most N20's are about to explode, or more accurately stretch the timing chain.

I will say it never fails to amaze me how out of time N20's can get without piston to valve issues.
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

The s54 has one of the best mechanical operating noises out there, embrace it.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Most N20's are about to explode, or more accurately stretch the timing chain.

I will say it never fails to amaze me how out of time N20's can get without piston to valve issues.
                Well when they get to the point of no return, they get the supercharger whine. There's a Test Plan in ISTA to specifically check this. I've seen a few lock up during this test. Surprisingly, they can also make it to 150k miles often. Highway driven cars seem to be the ones that last. Garage kept of obviously neglected ones always have broken guides or loose chains. I was able to pull a chain in the fill hole and the guy declined the job. He drove it home. It could just be a lottery thing too.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post

Make a video, so we can listen.
                  Here is my video link. Drives me nuts since I can hear that tick while I'm driving lol. Please share your idea

Comment

Here is my video link. Drives me nuts since I can hear that tick while I'm driving lol. Please share your idea

https://youtu.be/CH4ybVy8yhU
                    Sound normal to me

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post

Sound normal to me
                      you can hear your ticking inside too? Worst If I'm passing the wall or other car. tatatatatatata... lol

Comment

you can hear your ticking inside too? Worst If I'm passing the wall or other car. tatatatatatata... lol
                        Solid valve train and noisy injectors will do that.

Comment

Working...
                        X