New SMG conversion to Manual... heavy shifting 2nd to 3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New SMG conversion to Manual... heavy shifting 2nd to 3rd

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with going from 2nd into 3rd gear.. I find it very heavy compared to 3rd to 4rth or 5th..
    I've added some poly bushings to the linkage, so technically everything is like new or better. its very crisp, but I find it very hard for some reason.
    Could it be the clutch stop? I have an adjustable stop, it seems like its at a decent point for all other shifts.. transmission has 65k on it and I never had issues with smg before the swap.

anyone else finding it hard?

Second to third should be pretty smooth. Really none of the gears should be especially more difficult than any other. First and R can be crunchy when cold but that’s about it

Comment

yeah, thats what I was thinking as well... The detents are meant for R and 5/6 only, so I can't see anything wrong that I did... Im using the 540i shifter which is shorter but still shouldn't be this difficult.. Ill check and play with the clutch stop and maybe im not engaging it fully as should

when I say heavy, I mean its hard to get it "out of 2nd" without putting more muscle into it.

Comment

Maybe your compression spring (part # 23317511337) behind the gear identification switch is broken. 3/4 transmissions I had this winter had broken springs and 2/4 had below 100000km
        2002 BMW E46 M3 TiAg 6mt Track car project
        2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
        2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by pawelgawel View Post
          yeah, thats what I was thinking as well... The detents are meant for R and 5/6 only, so I can't see anything wrong that I did... Im using the 540i shifter which is shorter but still shouldn't be this difficult.. Ill check and play with the clutch stop and maybe im not engaging it fully as should

when I say heavy, I mean its hard to get it "out of 2nd" without putting more muscle into it.
          How much force are we talking here and is the transmission warmed up? I have the AS 30% kit and now that you mention it I guess there are times when I have to use a little force to get out of 2nd. It’s never crazy but it’s notchy and takes more effort than my Miata and E39 M5 (with stock shifter).

Ditch the clutch stop either way until you know how it drives normally.

Comment

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with going from 2nd into 3rd gear.. I find it very heavy compared to 3rd to 4rth or 5th..
            I've added some poly bushings to the linkage, so technically everything is like new or better. its very crisp, but I find it very hard for some reason.
            Could it be the clutch stop? I have an adjustable stop, it seems like its at a decent point for all other shifts.. transmission has 65k on it and I never had issues with smg before the swap.

anyone else finding it hard?
            What's about from 4 to 3rd during driving?
            1. engine idling but not moving, shift from neutral to 3rd compared to neutral to other gears? This is to check if the synchro too tight.
            2. To test for clutch stop proper setup: parked on a slope driveway or road, engine off, engage 1st, no brake. Slowly pushing clutch pedal until car start rolling, and the pedal should be about 1" before the stopper. If this gap is too long then the PP diaphragm is over-extended, causing it to reverse and grab the clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
              Maybe your compression spring (part # 23317511337) behind the gear identification switch is broken. 3/4 transmissions I had this winter had broken springs and 2/4 had below 100000km
              mine was fine, but I replaced it with a new one for the manual switch anyways..

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

How much force are we talking here and is the transmission warmed up? I have the AS 30% kit and now that you mention it I guess there are times when I have to use a little force to get out of 2nd. It’s never crazy but it’s notchy and takes more effort than my Miata and E39 M5 (with stock shifter).

Ditch the clutch stop either way until you know how it drives normally.
                it's enough force to raise my concerns... car is up to norm temps after 35 min drive.. lets just say, a 6yo would not be able to push it out probably without using both hands. Its notchy and precise, but hard to push it out.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

What's about from 4 to 3rd during driving?
                  1. engine idling but not moving, shift from neutral to 3rd compared to neutral to other gears? This is to check if the synchro too tight.
                  2. To test for clutch stop proper setup: parked on a slope driveway or road, engine off, engage 1st, no brake. Slowly pushing clutch pedal until car start rolling, and the pedal should be about 1" before the stopper. If this gap is too long then the PP diaphragm is over-extended, causing it to reverse and grab the clutch.
                  Ill check that out, but 3rd to 4rth is smooth and no issue other than notchy... when I play, its same feeling going into 1st and 5th. Clutch stop is all the way down on the setting, i have the ECS adjustable stop one.

Comment

had issues with going from 2nd into 3rd gear.. I find it very heavy compared to 3rd to 4rth or 5th.
                    Is it hard to push into 3rd or pull out of 2nd?

Comment

it's enough force to raise my concerns... car is up to norm temps after 35 min drive.. lets just say, a 6yo would not be able to push it out probably without using both hands. Its notchy and precise, but hard to push it out.
                      Is it as hard to push out of 2nd if you don't push the clutch in and let the revs drop a bit to relieve any load on the drivetrain? In my car I can put light pressure on the shifter (towards neutral) and when the revs drop to the appropriate place, the shifter will pop into neutral with very little force (and without touching the clutch pedal at all during this).

If doing this is smoother, then I would assume that the issue is coming from your clutch/clutch stop. If it feels the same, then it's probably something internal to the transmission.

Also, I wouldn't recommend driving like this regularly, as you'll be unnecessarily wearing down your synchros.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Is it as hard to push out of 2nd if you don't push the clutch in and let the revs drop a bit to relieve any load on the drivetrain? In my car I can put light pressure on the shifter (towards neutral) and when the revs drop to the appropriate place, the shifter will pop into neutral with very little force (and without touching the clutch pedal at all during this).

If doing this is smoother, then I would assume that the issue is coming from your clutch/clutch stop. If it feels the same, then it's probably something internal to the transmission.

Also, I wouldn't recommend driving like this regularly, as you'll be unnecessarily wearing down your synchros.
                        Ill give it a shot on Monday and see if I can test these forms out and notice anything..

Im wondering about the linkage, maybe I placed the shifter rod backwards lol

Its strange, I never had any issues with the pump, and I never played around with any of the internal components... I bet its a simple fix, im just not seeing it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                          Is it hard to push into 3rd or pull out of 2nd?
                          Pulling out from 2nd.. once it get out, it s crisp into 3rd.. very smooth and crisp into 4rth (strong 2 finger)

Comment

Beginning to get paranoid i might have installed the linkage upside-down.. bow upward or down?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Beginning to get paranoid i might have installed the linkage upside-down.. bow upward or down?
                              This is correct. The "bow" is to provide clearance for the giubo (flex disc)

Comment

Working...
                              X