Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - Tire pressures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Estoril View Post

Your hot pressure is only 2 psi over the cold pressure? How is that possible?
    I'll play...

Nitrogen.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo's M View Post

I'll play...

Nitrogen.
      The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen.

Comment

The air we breathe is 78% nitrogen.
        I've been aware of that since elementary school. I'm sure you know that nitrogen filled tires are less susceptible to heat transfer compared to regular "air". Besides, I was as I said.."playing along."

Comment

There’s another possibility, too
          '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
            There’s another possibility, too
            Valve stem cap variances?

Comment

Valve stem cap variances?
              I rotated my valve stem caps so I took that out the equation. Also, filled the tires with pure hydrogen to help with unsprung weight.

Thanks for all the replies. Heading out today to align the car. Seems like pressure values people are running are all over the place. So many different wheel/tire combos out there, probably no 'silver bullet' of an answer for me here.

The reason I asked is with 275 rears (Michelin Pilot Super Sport) running at 31-32 psi cold, I got significant wear on the center of the tread. Or, a clear sign of over-inflation. I recently put ~5k miles on the tires without really scrutinizing the tread pattern and the wear is surprisingly significant. At 31-32 psi (already 3-4psi under the door placard), the only thing I can think of is that the load rating is so different from stock that the tires just do not need that much air.

Hence, I was hoping others might corroborate my theory. Which is: When going a good bit wider than stock, given all other things equal, running lower pressure than what the door placard calls for makes sense. That's why I was highlighting the load index of the tire. Going up even further from 275s to the 285s I just put on, they need even less air to hold the same weight. Which is typically just me + the car.

I may try to chalk the tire, but I haven't had good luck with that in sportscars. I've had great luck doing this with truck tires, but can't seem to get it right with a low profile tire. I will most likely start with low pressures (30 psi rear), use a pyrometer to measure the heat across the face of the tire, and go from there.
              Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 05-30-2021, 03:48 AM.
              Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

For reference, here is the offending rear tire. It has about 20k miles on it when I took it off the car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210506_201403.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.9 KB ID:	108051

Comment

I run 36 front 38 rear for street.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                    For reference, here is the offending rear tire. It has about 20k miles on it when I took it off the car.
                    The proof is in the pudding. That looks like an overinflated tire if I've ever seen one, and I've seen many. How often are you above 100mph versus regular driving?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210531_132510.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	108168
                    Last edited by Arith2; 05-31-2021, 09:29 AM.
                    This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

33-35ish front 35-ish rear cold for street.

28 front and rear for track as a baseline which obviously will need to be adjusted case by case.
                      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Went with 28R / 31F. Will report back on tire temps once I measure them. This isn't used on track, but will push it on mountain roads.

Edit: I kept trying to upload the photo in my next post with this post, but apparently I'm inept at such an activity.
                        Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 06-01-2021, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210531_141231.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	108389

Comment

Working...
                          X