No announcement yet.

Ever reused brace plate bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't snapped a bolt yet but around the 3rd time re-use I noticed a lot of yielding. I never felt great about re-use but there was a time when messing around with power steering that I had the plate off quite a bit. I used new bolts on the most recent installation.

The bolts that I've found really yield and should definitely be one-time use are the rear brace bolts (qty 3).
    '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

I've had mine off now 3-4 times. I ck the threads, make sure they are all close to same length, and definitely make sure I don't go over 90°. So far they feel fine when going to 90°. I'll prob replace next time though...FCP.

Comment

Originally posted by jbfrancis3 View Post
        I haven't snapped a bolt yet but around the 3rd time re-use I noticed a lot of yielding. I never felt great about re-use but there was a time when messing around with power steering that I had the plate off quite a bit. I used new bolts on the most recent installation.

The bolts that I've found really yield and should definitely be one-time use are the rear brace bolts (qty 3).
        I better do those as well, I've reused them 3x now.
        2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
        Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
        Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
        RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

I need to figure out how to "activate" the paypal return feature that covers return shipping, it has been discussed on the forum more than once. I *think* you are allowed a certain number of free returns per year, they are not indefinite, but I don't know. That would be good for sending back oil or other heavy items.
          That process has been pretty painless as well, I've used it 3 or 4 times so far. It's up to 12x a year, up to $30 a shipment. For very big or heavy items I split my orders up such that shipping cost almost never exceeds the $30 limit.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Comment

I reuse the bolts at least a couple of times. Never had an issue and it just seems wasteful. I’m one of those guys who blasts the bolts on with an impact.

They are not torque to yield. You’d definitely strip the threads in the cast aluminum FCABs before the bolt stretches.

The key bolts are the 4 FCAB bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After first getting my car I reused the bolts a few times and then after reading about replacing them, I checked them and a few had started to tear in the thread grooves. I may even still have the bolts.

Comment

I've had my plate off over 20 times. Bolts are perfectly fine. The only reason I replaced a couple was the heads were gummed up from some previous idiot and one was a 15mm head. Other than that, I have never replaced them. None have snapped. I am also pretty meticulous about torquing bolts, however these don't fall in that category. They come out with and impact, they go in with an impact. I don't have time to waste on these stupid things. Sometimes it is worth it. In this case, it is not.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

If you're torquing them to spec (with the 90 deg), you should replace them. If you're just impacting them on, no need.

I think it's absolutely worth torquing them to spec, as the thrust plate was listed as one of the main reasons the M3 chassis is 50% more rigid than the non M e46 coupe.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                    I've had my plate off over 20 times. Bolts are perfectly fine. The only reason I replaced a couple was the heads were gummed up from some previous idiot and one was a 15mm head. Other than that, I have never replaced them. None have snapped. I am also pretty meticulous about torquing bolts, however these don't fall in that category. They come out with and impact, they go in with an impact. I don't have time to waste on these stupid things. Sometimes it is worth it. In this case, it is not.
                    So when you impact, what torque spec are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post

So when you impact, what torque spec are you using?
                      About 5 ugga-duggas which on my battery impact comes out to a consistent 65ft/lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                        If you're torquing them to spec (with the 90 deg), you should replace them. If you're just impacting them on, no need.

I think it's absolutely worth torquing them to spec, as the thrust plate was listed as one of the main reasons the M3 chassis is 50% more rigid than the non M e46 coupe.
                        TTA (torque to angle) doesn't change the bolt like TTY (torque to yield) specs do. It's a way to get consistent clamping load without needing to account for varying levels of friction due to bolt age or differences.

You can re-use TTA bolts, I suspect BMW says to replace them because if the threads get damaged or excessively worn you can damage the aluminum threads that some of the bolts go into. It's the same story with Porsche and their "one-time use" caliper bolts. Aluminum upright, steel bolt.

Edit: I should add that if you want to use new bolts, there's nothing that's forcing you to use BMW parts. They're just 10.9-grade M10x1.5x35 steel bolts with a flange and a washer. You could buy these from somewhere like McMaster by the bucketful for cheap.
                        Last edited by r4dr; 06-17-2021, 08:29 AM.
                        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

To follow-up, the M10x1.5 torque spec for a zinc-plated bolt is ~45.2 lb-ft. BMW specs 44 lb-ft plus 90*. Their spec won't stretch it beyond the yield point, it's just a TTA spec.
                          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Another anecdotal data point. I replaced all of my bolts the second time I removed my plate because most had partially rounded heads from PO. I've since removed my plate at least 5 to 7x. Bolts are fine, no issues. 44 lb-ft plus 90.
                            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

TTA (torque to angle) doesn't change the bolt like TTY (torque to yield) specs do. It's a way to get consistent clamping load without needing to account for varying levels of friction due to bolt age or differences.

You can re-use TTA bolts, I suspect BMW says to replace them because if the threads get damaged or excessively worn you can damage the aluminum threads that some of the bolts go into. It's the same story with Porsche and their "one-time use" caliper bolts. Aluminum upright, steel bolt.

Edit: I should add that if you want to use new bolts, there's nothing that's forcing you to use BMW parts. They're just 10.9-grade M10x1.5x35 steel bolts with a flange and a washer. You could buy these from somewhere like McMaster by the bucketful for cheap.
                              $.71ea (Yellow Zinc) $.65ea (BLK) at Belmetric....(10.9-grade M10x1.5x35)

Comment

Or see if the bolts holding FCABs are much cheaper. Ssame bolt basically, but with washer instead of flange.
                                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Working...
                                X