No announcement yet.

Ever reused brace plate bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lot of replies for some stupid ass bolts.
    2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
      There is a 100 page thread on floor mats...

Seriously though, this is what makes the forum great. No matter the question everyone wants to help.
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Lol I saw that.
        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
          Or see if the bolts holding FCABs are much cheaper. Ssame bolt basically, but with washer instead of flange.
          They're both ~$3 from BMW it looks like. I have no idea what the reasoning might be, but I'm guessing BMW had something in mind when they specced a flange bolt + washer in one and a regular bolt + washer in the other.
          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
            Ask people about what oil they run.
            Last edited by r4dr; 06-17-2021, 10:55 AM.
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Already did To get it outta the way ya know
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post

They're both ~$3 from BMW it looks like. I have no idea what the reasoning might be, but I'm guessing BMW had something in mind when they specced a flange bolt + washer in one and a regular bolt + washer in the other.
                … not to mention that they specified that they should be replaced after every use.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Why whats wrong with that?

Comment

I'm not falling for that one, bro.

The eternal debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

… not to mention that they specified that they should be replaced after every use.
                      Yeah, pretty black and white. If you torque them down the way they are supposed to be torqued down, get new ones.

Comment

I'd always reused my bolts over 6+ years of ownership, and I suspect the previous owner never replaced them. I did, however, replace them recently and torqued to spec when installing (simply because I replaced everything else while rebuilding the engine lol)

TBH I've never replaced them on any of my other E46's.

Never torqued them on any other E46's too; always just rattled them on aha
                        Last edited by Syfon; 06-17-2021, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flat-Six View Post

So when you impact, what torque spec are you using?
                          Well my impact is rated for 650 ft lbs so probably in the ballpark of 650. I forgot to mention I give it the ole breaker bar check. If it moves, it wasn't tight enough. How's that for rigidity? The car could be hit by a semi and that plate isn't coming off.
                          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

the thrust plate was listed as one of the main reasons the M3 chassis is 50% more rigid than the non M e46 coupe.
                            Yeah one document does lists thrust plate as a basis for the improvement in “front suspension” (along with using the convertible Front subframe). Yet another spec document doesn’t list it at all as changes done to the E46 M3 chassis that increase it’s rigidity over non-M coupe. They state the use of additional gusset plates & weld points, modifications to side frame structures, wheel arches, reinforced C-pillar...

There’s basically like two improved attachment points at control arm’s balljoints bottom and CAB popsicle on the E46 M3 plate from the E46 non-M Coupe plate. Knowing that, it is kinda hard to reason the plate is a major factor to increase E46 M3’s overall chassis rigidity 50% imho.
                            Last edited by old///MFanatic; 06-18-2021, 11:43 AM. Reason: clarify attachments
                            6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Lol I’m not replacing mine after every removal. Had originals removed many times since 2010. Held up fine for me.

Comment

If you're torquing them to spec (with the 90 deg), you should replace them. If you're just impacting them on, no need.

I think it's absolutely worth torquing them to spec, as the thrust plate was listed as one of the main reasons the M3 chassis is 50% more rigid than the non M e46 coupe.
                                It's odd that attaining the specific chassis stiffness can be attributed to using the exact proper torque spec for the bolts on the reinforcement plate yet we can attribute the same chassis stiffness between an e46 coupe with no fold-down seats and an M3 with a CF plate epoxied on. Seems like a different standard is being used.
                                2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                                2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                                2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Working...
                                X