Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with vanos codes! Am I doomed?

Hey,

recently got an E46 and took it to my local shop to have a post purchase inspection done; didn’t get the best news. I got the following codes:

000076 - DME: Electric throttle: signal, potentiometer, throttle
    00006B - DME: Electronic throttle: self-test
    000078 - DME: potentiometer, signal comparison
    00008F - DME: Electronics-box fan
    000050 - DME: Switch chain, frictional connection
    000016 - DME: Exhaust vanos, advance valve
    0000B9 - DME: Function, exhaust VANOS

Has anyone gotten these codes before? The tech recommend we remove the valve cover gasket to get a really good understanding of what’s going on; and recommend not driving the car in the mean time. Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: A few things the car has been doing: inconsistent idle (hunting for idle) - but not consistently, sometime it does, sometimes it doesn't. Once it even died (RPMS dropped to 500rpm, then to 0 - but it doesn't do that anymore for whatever reason.) Taking a while to crank, sometimes it takes one or two tries for my car to crank, sometimes it starts right up, etc.
    Last edited by props; 04-13-2020, 04:16 PM.

No expert here, but it sounds like the vanos system in that car needs to be gone over and/or replaced. Beisan talks about the codes, diagnosis, and repair process here: http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
    E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
    Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

It’s time for a beisan Vanos rebuild kit. Do it once and never think about it again

Comment

Originally posted by Bostonbruck View Post
        It’s time for a beisan Vanos rebuild kit. Do it once and never think about it again
        I figured it would come to that. The previous owner swears he rebuilt everything in the VANOS except for the oil pump disc, but judging from the codes I just got back I'm not quite sure about that.

Comment

Originally posted by props View Post
          I figured it would come to that. The previous owner swears he rebuilt everything in the VANOS except for the oil pump disc, but judging from the codes I just got back I'm not quite sure about that.
          That should of been the FIRST thing he addressed.

S54 Vanos Info Thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-info-thread
          Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 04-13-2020, 01:40 PM.
          TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
          Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
          Evolve Eventuri
          - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post

That should of been the FIRST thing he addressed.

S54 Vanos Info Thread
            https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-info-thread
            Yeah, from what I've seen most VANOS issues stem from the oil pump disc. I'm going to have my whole VANOS unit rebuilt, along with a new valve cover gasket, spark plugs, etc etc. Hoping that will solve my issues, mechanic made it seem like I might have to get a new head so I have that to look forward to as well.

Comment

Good luck, hopefully it's not in need of a new head.
              TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
              Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
              Evolve Eventuri
              - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

The cause of the vanos exhaust codes is the DME box electric fan.
                The fan has failed and the DME is overheating and it's causing at least the vanos codes.
                I would replace this fan first and rest the codes and see what you get.
                Update us.

Comment

Originally posted by Rajaie View Post
                  The cause of the vanos exhaust codes is the DME box electric fan.
                  The fan has failed and the DME is overheating and it's causing at least the vanos codes.
                  I would replace this fan first and rest the codes and see what you get.
                  Update us.
                  This is promising, so it could just be the DME box electric fan & throttle position sensors? I’d figure if my vanos unit failed I’d feel it; my car still feels like it has full power...at least it kept up with WRX STIs in the canyons.

Comment

here’s a video I took, revving the car to 3.5k RPM. From what I can tell there’s no vanos rattle, just lifter tick. I could be wrong.

Comment

Are these codes active or stored?
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                        Are these codes active or stored?
                        Not quite sure, I believe pending(?) I'd have to ask. I currently have 0 fault lights on though.

Comment

I say clear the codes and see what comes back. You have them documented here so you're not losing them. Every car ever has at least 20 pending codes if not recently cleared. That DME fan code is slightly troubling. There are no lights so it's not really that bad.

Does anyone know if INPA shows DME temp? There must be a way to test that fan. Look for broken seals or any corrosion around DME. Right next to it is a popular hang out spot for leaves which can cause water to build up. Obviously these would've been cleaned before you saw the car at least somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by Arith2 View Post
                            I say clear the codes and see what comes back. You have them documented here so you're not losing them. Every car ever has at least 20 pending codes if not recently cleared. That DME fan code is slightly troubling. There are no lights so it's not really that bad.

Does anyone know if INPA shows DME temp? There must be a way to test that fan. Look for broken seals or any corrosion around DME. Right next to it is a popular hang out spot for leaves which can cause water to build up. Obviously these would've been cleaned before you saw the car at least somewhat.
                            I'm planning on replacing my DME fan, I'll clear the codes now and see what comes back when I take the car back to the shop for a valve adjustment...when the heads off he'll also inspect the hub / oil disc. From what it seems like to me my car isn't suffering from VANOS failure (?)

Comment

I'm sure most would suggest this, see if your hub is broken, and if it isn't you can do the cheaper $150 option from Beisan Systems. If it is, get a reinforced one. I have a VAC which has larger tabs and eliminates the play that breaks the tabs.

If codes are still there, I would watch him clear them and then watch them return. I wouldn't trust a shop to fix my car Right now is a low point in the economy and some flatrate guy may be trying to make a dollar.

Comment

Working...
                              X