No announcement yet.

Help With Emissions Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What software was this on? I did not get monitors to work even with an SES light on CSL software.

Comment

Interesting. This in on regular hp 2501 software.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Okay, clearing DME error codes with INPA clears the monitors too. Both DIS and OBD Fusion were showing that the monitors were set before clearing. After clearing, they both say they're all not set.

As much as I don't want to, I should really just look at the dissasembly to see what the firmware is doing. Anyone have any tips on how to disassemble the binaries?
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

If you figure this out please let me know. Struggling with emissions monitors myself.

I think terra had an IDA pro database at one point. Should be motorola architecture.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
            If you figure this out please let me know. Struggling with emissions monitors myself.

I think terra had an IDA pro database at one point. Should be motorola architecture.
            Are you running a converted DME too? I found a good deal on a stock DME, so I haven't messed with my converted DME anymore.

I wish we still had the comprehensive MSS54 thread from the old forum Would motivate me to look through the assembly a lot more lol.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Are you running a converted DME too? I found a good deal on a stock DME, so I haven't messed with my converted DME anymore.

I wish we still had the comprehensive MSS54 thread from the old forum Would motivate me to look through the assembly a lot more lol.
              No my emissions problems are not related to yours. But interested nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

No my emissions problems are not related to yours. But interested nonetheless.
                Ah I see. I'll update this thread if I ever figure this problem out.

Comment

So, I gave in and bought a used DME.

Got an MSS54 off of eBay and flashed it with WinKFP (zb num 7842971). Drove around and OBD Fusion was showing monitors as not available. Disconnected MAF and suddenly they're available and some are set.

Cleared codes, drove around some more, rechecked with OBD Fusion and still no monitors available. BUT, DIS shows some of them as "carried out". So I either need to complete the full drive cycle to get them to show in OBD Fusion or something is wrong with my bluetooth scanner/OBD Fusion setup.

Either way, DIS never showed the monitors on the converted DME as "carried out" unless the SES light was on. Even after using DIS to run the secondary air pump test (and passing), that monitor still showed "not carried out". That is no longer the case with the stock hardware/software DME.

Given the similar behavior between the two DMEs, I'm inclined to believe that the fix for the converted one is something super simple. The tests are all clearly running on it, but for some reason their results aren't being broadcasted. Maybe the injector driver error is making a check fail and preventing the DME from broadcasting the results, who knows.

I'd need to go through the dissasembly to figure out what's going on with the converted DME. But, once again, assembly —ugh.

I'll go complete a drive cycle and use DIS to make sure that the monitors are all set. Then take the car to get smogged and update this thread with the results.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that no monitors were available on OBD Fusion but some showed as "carried out" on DIS. As far as I know, the monitors have three states: ready, incomplete, and not available. Is "carried out" the same as "ready?" I would think that an inconsistent reading would be an error with the OBD Fusion setup. Either way, thank you for taking the laboring oar to go through this and posting the results.

Comment

Yeah sorry should have clarified that. OBD Fusion (and most other apps/resources) use the "not available", "incomplete" and "ready" nomenclature. DIS uses a different one. The mapping is as follows, with DIS nomenclature on the right:

Not available -> Not applicable
                      Incomplete -> Not carried out
                      Ready -> Carried out

And yes, I'm inclined to believe DIS over ODB Fusion. I did check with the Torque app as well and it too showed incomplete.

What's weird is that both these apps suddenly start showing the monitor's true state when the SES light comes on. But I think I'm just not going to worry about that and trust DIS.
                      Last edited by heinzboehmer; 08-12-2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Really interested in the outcome of this, as I am in Virginia and I understand that OBD based emissions are a must here.
                        2004 Mystic Blue M3 | 6-speed | Coupe
                        Karbonius CSL-style airbox | OEM CSL snorkel & flap | Schrick 280 / 272 cams with followers | CSL inconel exhaust valves
                        SuperSprint 63.5mm stepped headers, section-1 with sport cats, and resonated twin-pipe section-2
                        ITG CSL Airbox Airfilter| Karbonius E46 microfilter cover
                        Karbonius M3 E46 CSL trunklid | Ohlin's BMS MI30 coilovers

Comment

Just FYI, DIS/INPA use BMW DS2 protocol to integrate the DME. OBD readers use the standard ISO14230-4, like any emission testing station would for these model years. You can get your tune to show ready in DIS/INPA, but if the flag is set in the ISO protocol you’ll see not ready on an OBD reader and fail emissions. Don’t necessarily bank on passing emissions based on what DIS/INPA show you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SliM3 View Post
                            Just FYI, DIS/INPA use BMW DS2 protocol to integrate the DME. OBD readers use the standard ISO14230-4, like any emission testing station would for these model years. You can get your tune to show ready in DIS/INPA, but if the flag is set in the ISO protocol you’ll see not ready on an OBD reader and fail emissions. Don’t necessarily bank on passing emissions based on what DIS/INPA show you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Good to know, thanks!

However, I never managed to get OBD Fusion/Torque to show any monitors as ready. This was using a regular ELM237 OBD bluetooth adapter.

I headed to the smog place once DIS showed everything as being ready and passed without issues.

Comment

I live in Virginia and had my factory HP DME converted by Kassel to run the CSL tune. Over time, I worked with them change different parameters in an attempt to gain emissions readiness but we could never get there (could never get proper communication with the testing equipment). Virginia is modeled on California emissions but doesn’t require a smog or visual inspection. You all probably could’ve anticipated this outcome.

Not wanting to change out hardware, I purchased a used DME (HP or non-HP, didn’t matter). All I did was plug in the donor DME and then remotely, PCS Tuning reflashed the DME for my VIN and to run AlphaN while setting the emissions monitors to ready state. I had to do the approx 100 mile drive cycle (not wanting to do the ridiculous specific procedure) to gain all monitors ready (such as the cats and one other that I don’t recall).

Took the vehicle in, it connected, passed and I drove home and swapped the CSL DME back in. Not the cheapest but reasonable at $500 used DME + 1 hour of PCS time (probably $120). By the way, Paul’s AlphaN tune out of the box for my specific setup was super impressive. He tuned my CSL DME so it was a bit more optimized than the AlphaN which had no tuning. Including OP’s issue, I would encourage anyone to reach out to PCS Tuning.
                              '05 M3 Convertible 6MT, CB/Cinnamon, CSL Airbox&Flap, PCSTuning, Beisan, Schrick 288/280, SS V1's & 2.5" System, RE Stg 1&SMF, KW V2, CB PS, Apex EC-7R

Comment

Yeah that's basically what I ended up doing. Bought a used DME and flashed it with WinKFP to get it back to fully stock.

Although he didn't help me with this specific issue, +1 to Paul, he knows what he's doing

Comment

Working...
                                X