No announcement yet.

Engine Restorer oil additive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jet_dogg they are promising something extra than what normally happens. That is a tall order almost always

Comment

I'm just giving you guys a hard time. Let's bump the oil thread.
      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

All oils, esp the better/more expensive oils like what we're accustomed to with this car, already have detergents and friction modifiers in them.

It's like the car wash soaps with polymers or sio2 in them. Do you really need that if you're already sealing/waxing your car on a regular basis?

Or techron cleaner. if you already run Chevron or shell?
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
          I'm read several times over the years all this stuff is snake oil. Is this just due to people's closed minded pessimism or has there been any sort of real data? Why do people blindly assume either way?

I don't doubt most of the stuff out there is garbage but it's always funny to me how people's knee jerk reaction is snake oil! snake oil! You mean to tell me there isn't one chemist or group of chemists that have formulated something that could possibly work? This stuff has been going on forums since forums existed, then one person will come along and prove everyone wrong and then all of a sudden there are believers out there haha. It's like people are embarrassed to think for themselves.
          Oil companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars formulating oil. If the additive was better, it would already be in the oil.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            All oils, esp the better/more expensive oils like what we're accustomed to with this car, already have detergents and friction modifiers in them.

It's like the car wash soaps with polymers or sio2 in them. Do you really need that if you're already sealing/waxing your car on a regular basis?

Or techron cleaner. if you already run Chevron or shell?
            If that was true then nobody would ever need injector cleaning unless they are using arco.

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Oil companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars formulating oil. If the additive was better, it would already be in the oil.
            Same could be said for the arvin mentor exhaust, or stock cams, or...but I should have clarified I wasn't referring solely to engine oil additives but restorers, fuel system cleaners, etc.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

My personal philosophy is it's a cost benefit relationship.

Crap gas/oil = less additives = more "sediments" = increased use case for additional additives.

Inverse for higher grade gas/oils, ultimately lower use case.

There are a lot of snake oils out there, however, I believe there are also aftermarket companies that do invest heavily in R&D to develop beneficial supplements.

Once you identify them (e.g. liqui moly, bg44k) it becomes a risk benefit relationship. If no detrimental side effects = no harm no foul, with improvement tied to your specific case.

To OP, I havent used engine restore, however, there are videos on YT where people actually tested and found increased and even compression as advertised. Suggest an appropriate amount of due diligence (beyond anecdotal evidence).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure about universal truths. There could be better standalone additives that might not work well with a given brand's formulation. Better additives might change the brand's price point making it less desirable to their customer base. Also, additives wear out (user dependent), so there may be a case for supplementing.

I'm sure there is a wide spectrum of use cases, all being situation dependent.

Comment

Originally posted by M3GA View Post
                  There could be better standalone additives that might not work well with a given brand's formulation.
                  That sounds like an argument against using stuff like this, no? As in, how would you know if it would work with your particular formulation?

Better additives might change the brand's price point making it less desirable to their customer base.
                  That might be true at the price point of... walmart brand lawn mower oil, but not anything anyone is running in their M3.

Also, additives wear out (user dependent), so there may be a case for supplementing.
                  I'd say that would be in indication that your OCIs are too short, not that you should be putting random stuff in the engine.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                  2012 LMB/Black 128i
                  2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

This particular additive does work rather well to help an old engine burn less oil. The problem with many additives in general is that you don't know what it turns into under extreme heat (or shear) that a performance engine produces. A lot of them aren't designed for it and may become sediments when exposed to high heat. In our case with the S54, the pressures of the vanos system or the high rod bearing load may be something that the manufacturer never tested the additive with.
                    BMW M engines aren't the kind that band aid additives are designed for.

Comment

That sounds like an argument against using stuff like this, no? As in, how would you know if it would work with your particular formulation?

That might be true at the price point of... walmart brand lawn mower oil, but not anything anyone is running in their M3.

I'd say that would be in indication that your OCIs are too short, not that you should be putting random stuff in the engine.
                      Not sure how to respond point for point via Tapatalk, like you did, so...

#1 could be an argument against, though due diligence or just sticking with like-for-like brands (e.g. liqui moly oil and ceratec/mos2) would give you reassurance. Same brands most likely are compatible, I know liqui moly is. Manufacturers could always confirm capability based on testing. I'm sure some degree of chemistry and common sense plays into a decision too.

#2 walmart brand would indeed have a bigger price delta and put it in a different category. However, a small delta amongst brands could be just as impactful, depends on the competition, promos, etc. Example, liqui moly could enhance their product and increase price and would probably still be competitive against a Castrol. Maybe not vice versa, I'd think Castrol would lose more sales with a price increase without significant enhancements. Another factor, I think the customer base (for e46 M3s) has changed drastically over the last 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X