Is this why Vanos oil pump fails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this why Vanos oil pump fails?

Closeup of my Vanos oil pump (after a paltry 54k miles). Note the clear indentation (which is also on the other side of the hole) caused by the tab on the spline impacting on the hole - adding at least another .5mm of gap that increases further the accel/decel impact of the tab on the hole. No wonder the tab eventually fails from metal fatigue

That’s the leading theory. I’m of the opinion that BMW’s decision to remove the one-way valve at the pump outlet is what allows those accel/decel cycles to manifest. That is the major difference between the s54 and s50b32 and s62 vanos systems.

Comment

Originally posted by poss View Post
      Closeup of my Vanos oil pump (after a paltry 54k miles).
      Were you the driver of those 54K miles, and what is the typical engine rpm range? I think more rpm changing in a quick pattern , rhythm, would cause more hammering on those disk holes. I would think the disk spinning speed is more stable than the cam hub as the regulated output oil pressure is stable.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Were you the driver of those 54K miles, and what is the typical engine rpm range? I think more rpm changing in a quick pattern , rhythm, would cause more hammering on those disk holes. I would think the disk spinning speed is more stable than the cam hub as the regulated output oil pressure is stable.
        No. I only put the last 14K on her - most of it being inter-state highway cruising (with some spirited back road driving here and there). However, it's a 'vert - unmolested and unlikely to have seen much (if any) track time. I'd imagine oil pumps on higher mileage and tracked cars would look even worse.

Comment

Before the hub tabs broke, you should have the disk drilled with 2 new and smaller hole with about 0.010" clearance to the tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
            Before the hub tabs broke, you should have the disk drilled with 2 new and smaller hole with about 0.010" clearance to the tabs.
            I didn't remove the oil pump just to take it's photo . Sent off for drilling today.

Comment

It's very critical to have the new drilled holes be 180 degrees in line with the disk center, and equal distance.

Comment

Who’s re-drilling the disc for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LatinSkllz View Post
                  Who’s re-drilling the disc for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I have a friend with a machining workshop here in Australia. Determining equal distance from centre is easy - the existing circular groove marks it - just need to ensure 2 new holes are precisely opposite. Original holes were 10.5mm. Drilled new 9.8mm holes - only a fraction of the play dry (so add some oil and the play will be virtually nothing).

Vanos all reassembled and working like a charm.

Comment

Mine had hardly any wear after about 100k kms. Nothing like that photo.

Yes smaller holes is the theoretical fix and I've not read of anyone having a failure with a modified pump disc (genuine redrilled or a Beisan one). That doesn't prove the fix but does support it.

That said, once moving I would not expect the free play to be much issue. The disc will "drag" as it's pumping and the tabs should always be pushing it around. I don't see how the disc would ever get ahead of the tabs and then end up being hit again. However the tabs do break and some discs like yours end up with significant wear. Perhaps if they start to wear a bit, it accelerates as the free play gets bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Shonky View Post
                      Mine had hardly any wear after about 100k kms. Nothing like that photo.

...once moving I would not expect the free play to be much issue. The disc will "drag" as it's pumping and the tabs should always be pushing it around. I don't see how the disc would ever get ahead of the tabs and then end up being hit again...
                      It's called 'momentum'. The disc is quite weighty and wants to keep its momentum (same RPM) when the camshafts decelerate because of an aggressive down gear change - causing the tabs to smash into the rear of the oil pump drive holes, and the opposite occurs for aggressive acceleration - the pump disc wants to stay at the same speed but the camshaft says otherwise by slamming the tabs onto the opposite side of the drive holes.

Although they're quite different parts of the car, it's the same fundamental metal fatigue equation that cause both the oil pump tabs and the RACP to fail (at least in terms of the subframe rubber bushings deteriorating and causing them to hammer the RACP) - Number of stress impact cycles and the force of the impacts. If you drive the car hard regularly you are more likely to experience stress fractures in both the RACP and the Vanos oil pump tabs.

Comment

There's more to it than just the dimensions of the disk's holes. My 124k 02/2002 s54 had zero, I mean zero, markings whatsoever. Literally looked brand new.
                        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

I don't think the disc issue is fully understood and everything is just conjecture on the internet.
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Just had my vanos overhauled at 156k miles, from the original factory setup. To my surprise, no damage was present. Guess I got lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                              There's more to it than just the dimensions of the disk's holes. My 124k 02/2002 s54 had zero, I mean zero, markings whatsoever. Literally looked brand new.
                              Mine also had no deformation at 120,000 miles (all of which were driven like I stole it, I might add-- so any notion that going easy on the car causes this to not happen is misguided).

That said, after a decade of people installing the smaller hole Beisan disk, with not a single known failure, I feel like the solution is reasonably proven out at this point.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i
                              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X