Subframe Dropped and cracks found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tnord View Post
    I've never welded a thing, so I don't think this is the job to learn on.

I'm also planning on top side reinforcement, so I guess it's just going to cost more than I had thought.
    Just hire a mobile welder like i did. I have never welded anything either.

Comment

I'm usually all about "I'll just start taking stuff apart and figure it out as I go," but this seems like too big of a project for that. I don't have a very good garage setup at our new place, and this would be one of those things that takes all winter I feel like.

Comment

I'm usually all about "I'll just start taking stuff apart and figure it out as I go," but this seems like too big of a project for that. I don't have a very good garage setup at our new place, and this would be one of those things that takes all winter I feel like.
        Yeah, It is fairly daunting, but it really wasnt that challenging to take apart. The hardest part was removing exhaust bolts without breaking anything, because someone didn't use the appropriate bolts .

Comment

I have no doubt I'm capable of doing it. But I lack the tools and time it would take to do a job I think I'd be happy with.

Comment

tnord maybe do it during the winter when you can have the car laid up for awhile and just take your time. Im also debating doing it myself but I have no confidence. I have local guy that I want to use as he is very detail oriented but he is almost impossible to get an appointment with. So we will see.

Comment

Yea I do not feel like DIY-ing this one, this car has been very expensive lately
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

the preventative measures to deal with problem areas will be approaching the purchase price of the car when this is done ($17k).

Comment

the preventative measures to deal with problem areas will be approaching the purchase price of the car when this is done ($17k).
                  I know, and then to think all the mods we would like to do. I see some of the members on this forum who must have over $20k in mods easy.

Comment

I'm personally waiting for the guys who bought cars recently and then have RACP, VANOS issues, and/or transmission issues to come to this realization. DIY types will be getting some better deals sooner or later. Also factor in what certain interior/exterior items are selling for now and there will be a reckoning. People have over bought and under thought. A neighbor of mine (three houses down) just bought a Silver Grey on black e46 M3 and I know he can't really afford it. It has some major clunk to the point I think his RACP is cracked. I warned him repeatedly before he bought it and he is about to be in for a shocker as not only does he not DIY but the closest shops that I would even trust to do the job are at least a hundred miles away. All the maintenance has been deferred and 100k miles, oh boy.
                    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Yeah, I deferred this job for 4 years. Spent a lot of time/money modding. I wouldn’t say I regret doing that, but I should have done this sooner. I wasn’t ready to tackle this type of job 4 years ago. Bearings and cooling system are next. Vanos was done right after I got the car. Should be good for a long time after this work is completed.

Comment

I've deferred it for quite some time. I have 110k on the clock, bought the car with 86k in 2010, and have really just done maintenance most of the way. VANOS and cooling was the first big project because that could be immediately catastrophic without warning. Mine is a transition build early 2003.5, and as it turned out I didn't actually have the HP DME, so I'm worried I don't have the updated bearings either and haven't really driven more than a few hundred miles since I learned that.

Car is going in for bearings on Friday, and hoping to deal with the subframe in the spring so I can actually start driving it without worrying. Yeah, I'll probably be into this car for close to $30k, but it's probably worth every bit of that with the big 3 done and a good build spec.

Comment

Yea I mean my car was (is?) a big pile of shit that I way over paid for, and have been suffering through fixing up over the last 3 years. I am in so far I will never come close to getting my money back, so may as well keep it and enjoy it... Money is just a social construct anyway. :P
                          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

scotty737 - Did you have to remove your gas tank to have the plates welded?

Comment

Also wondering why the majority of folks don't appear to use the Bimmerworld kit? https://www.bimmerworld.com/About-Us...ent-Kit_2.html

The kit is reasonably priced and addresses both top and bottom like the Reddish V3 kit unless I'm mistaken. Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

Comment

Definitely remove your gas tank. It partially covers one of the mounts. Also, gasoline + welding sparks is not a good combination
                                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X